“Fantastic Hotel, problems at/after checkout.”
Review of The Ocean House

The Ocean House
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Watch Hill
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I took my family to the Ocean House for the day and night of Thanksgiving. My partner and I also stayed in July for a weekend and had a great stay, so we were very excited about the Holiday.

The Hotel is absolutely beautiful - incredible beachfront location, gorgeous rooms and common spaces - truly a stunner. We had two rooms - one a regular room on the third floor and the other a suite with a fireplace and large sitting area on the first. Both were wonderful.

We opted for the Thanksgiving buffet in the ballroom rather than the plated dinner at the restaurant. The food was good but the service was a bit harried. Not a big problem, would have done it again.

We had a really wonderful stay and left quite happy - However, there were some very serious problems with checkout/charges/authorizations after we'd left. Without going into too much detail, I was very unhappy to see that I had been charged more than twice what I signed for, and had additional large authorizations taken on my cards even after I'd paid in full.

I was, however, very happy and impressed with the professional manner in which hotel management handled my complaint. They admitted their error, were quick with their replies, and I'm happy with the way everything turned out.

This is a beautiful - and expensive! - hotel, and its location in the heart of Watch Hill on what I consider to be the nicest beach in Rhode Island, and the professional way that management dealt with my issue, will keep me coming back. For the price, the service at both the ballroom buffet and the front desk/checkout wasn't up to par and should be improved.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Thank you for your patronage and your comments. When humans are involved, mistakes will happen and we do our best to rectify any errors on our part as quickly and thoroughly as possible. Excellent service is something we pride ourselves on and what we train our wait staff to achieve. I am sorry we fell short during your meal and will continue to strive for the highest level. We hope you will join us again to prove our dedication to our guests.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Recently stayed at the Ocean House for a business meeting and I cannot say enough about the property, staff, location, etc. If you want to treat yourself to a luxurious stay, this is the place to go. Grand but cozy, wouldn't change a thing. Food, view and accommodations were beyond my expectation.

Room Tip: Rooms on ocean side have spectacular view from terrace balcony
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Thank you. We enjoy hosting corporate guests and travelers and work very hard to be accommodating to their needs. We hope you will come back for a leisure visit next time.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I stayed here last year and this is my first Trip Adviser review. From the moment I arrived to departure I was pampered. Everything is included! No tipping save for dinner. All amenities and snacks in the room are included. A beautiful fitness center and spa. All food is prepared using local produce. Beautifully appointed public spaces. Overlooks the ocean. I will go back.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 12, 2012

This is the 3rd year we stay overnight for our anniversary and it gets better each year. We stayed in early November and were upgraded to their Atlantic Suite thanks to our "I Prefer" membership. We had the most amazing views, an amazing cheese plate and bread waiting for us, and our own bar for our use. The suite was gorgeous and spotless. We always enjoy the activities; Jonathon is a wonderful Sommelier and we learn something new each year. Dinner and Breakfast as always at Seasons is perfection. We have enjoyed the Bed, Breakfast, and Beyond package and plan to again. They pay attention to every detail and customer service is high on their priorities. We really enjoy visiting this time of year-well done!

We also love that they do things for the community; we enjoy the Christmas Cookie decorating party with our children; 3rd year now and will enjoy their Brunch with Santa just before Christmas.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MysticNick

Thank you. We are so pleased to hear from guests who enjoy coming back again and again. We hope you continue to celebrate your anniversary with Ocean House.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

My wife and I had been wishing to stay at the Ocean House since before it was built! In fact earlier than that as I had always admired the grand old hotel as a college student. Well it has been over ten years since I graduated and we finally fulfilled out goal-although only by taking advantage of a super deal through a Spa related website. Sadly this hotel would have been out of reach without it. We stayed for only one night over Veterans' Day but soaked up every minute of it. We enjoyed spectacular massages in the Spa and then marveled at the relaxation room as we enjoyed being the only people there overlooking the ocan as night fell. Every aspect of the hotel was more luxurious than we had previously experienced anywhere! We dined in the Bistro and had perfect cocktails. The next morning we had a light breakfast overlooking the ocean and then walked on the beach and through town. Before I knew it we were on our way. I have only the best things to say about the Ocean House as it exceeded every expectation- even though I had been building it up for years. I only wish more off-season deals would allow us to take advantage of this level of luxury more frequently.
Steve and Lindsay Nadramia
Long Island, NY

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sntravler

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Ocean House. I am thrilled that we exceeded your expectations and have to give credit to our wonderful staff that prides themselves on providing the best service anywhere. We do have lower rates and specials throughout the fall and winter on our web site, so be sure to check back often.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Beautifull resort with all the amenities. Greeted with a glass of champagne! Rooms are stunning and spacious. Many extras. I was here for a wedding and felt completely catered to. All the staff was entirely gracious.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank wohlrabj

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much. We hope you will join us again soon.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Looking for a great location for a spa day? Look no further! The spa is wonderful, the staff is extremely attentive and the relaxation room has ocean views while you sip tea. Fall into New England Costal Escape package is 3 hours of pampering. Plan to check in early to use the steam room before your treatment. Feel free to bring a bag with a change of clothes if you want, a locker is provided. The women’s locker room has showers with shampoo and conditioner. In addition a hair dryer, curling iron, hair gel and hair spray are also provided. The spa has a beautiful couples massage room.
Stay for a late lunch/early dinner in the bar, sitting by the fireplace or in the restaurant overlooking the ocean. The Native Head Lettuces salad with chicken was delicious and the chicken was cooked perfectly. Stay for sunset and bring sneakers or sandals to go for a walk on the beach.
Ocean House provides complementary valet parking, even for day guests. No tips are accepted.
It was a relaxing, wonderful day of pampering. Yes it is pricy, but it is worth it! I will absolutely visit again. The massage therapist mentioned a hotel tour at 2pm each day, check when you make your appointment if you are interested (given the hotel’s history I was sad I missed it).

Tips:
- Arrive early for your spa treatment to use the steam room.
- Bring sneakers or sandals for a walk on the beach.
- Ask about the daily hotel tour.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank KM-RI

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the OH! Spa. We are very pleased that you enjoyed the amazing environment and excellent services that the spa staff works so hard to provide to our guests. I am sure you can see why the spa received a Forbes Five-Star rating in its first year. Please join us again soon.

Warm Regards,

#1 of 13 in Mystic
Sandy Shore Motel
Sandy Shore Motel
#6 of 6 in Misquamicut

Been to The Ocean House? Share your experiences!