“Still Great Six Months Latter”
Review of The Ocean House

and 1 more site!
The Ocean House
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Watch Hill
Ashland, Oregon
“Still Great Six Months Latter”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

So many properties change quickly but not here. Everything was great! Kudos to the chef who accommodated my late night request for pasta which was not on the menu. Food is to die for and the accommodations are neat, clean and comfortable! My only minor complaint is when ordering food the waiter could not tell me the exact vegetables in the vegetable meal, he claimed the chef put different items each time. I could not understand why he could not list the items and let me choose. Nevertheless It still is great!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mps7777777
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
With our farm-to-table philosophy, it is possible that the ingredients may change from day-to-day as we receive the freshest produce from local farms. However, I agree that your server should have been aware of what ingredients were being used that day. This will be addressed with the wait staff. We hope your third visit will be in the very near future.

President & Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I booked a weekend here to celebrate our anniversary. I found a great rate since it was off season. I have been to many 5 star hotels but this exceeded all of my expectations. It had all of the beauty and luxury of a 5 star hotel but it also had the most welcoming staff I have ever encountered. You were pampered by the beauty and comfort of the rooms and you were made to feel so welcome by each member of the staff. We walked the beach, worked out in the spa, swam in the lap pool, had drinks in the club room, ate in the farm to table restaurant and just enjoyed the beauty of the setting wishing we never had to leave. I am so grateful to the Ocean House for giving me memories of a perfect anniversary weekend and my husband and I are already planning our return visit.

Room Tip: Every room is beyond beautiful; they have thought of everything to make the room absolutely perfect...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing how wonderful your stay with us was for your anniversary. We do have a truly talented and special team of staff members. We look forward to welcoming you back again next year.

Warm Regards,
West Chester, Ohio
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Ocean House for (sadly) only one night...but it was an amazing experience. The property is spectacular, the staff attentive, personable and helpful. Our room was spectacular and there was much the resort had to offer that we couldn't squeeze into our short stay. We will definitely return...next time for a longer, more leisurely visit.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank LoveLove2Travel11
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed 2 nights. Room was everything you could possibly ask for. Staff was friendly, thoughtful and knowledgeable. Food was really very excellent. Only improvements I would like to see made are service a bit quicker and replacement of the tables on the porch, whose chairs don't fit well underneath due to design of the tables. We loved this hotel and we will be back, with friends. All pricey, for sure, but you do get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Any room with a view of the ocean is great. We never heard a sound from another room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing. We are looking at replacing the furniture in the Winter Garden for just the reason you mentioned. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Boston, ma
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We had our wedding here in April 2011. I am so happy we had our reception here. We came to celebrate our anniversary this year and the place blows me away every time. It is the most beautiful resort ever. Spotless, food is amazing, incredible design, staff is so nice and attentive. Breakfast was the best. Luxury stay that you won't want to end.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
We are so glad you came back to celebrate your anniversary with us. Our guests become like family and we love to see them year after year. We hope to see you again next year.

Warm Regards,
Needham, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 26, 2012

After reading a few negative comments about Ocean House on one or two travel sites, I feel compelled to offer my two cents. My husband and I spent three nights here in early October when the summer crowds had disappeared and found the accommodations and service to be first rate. The staff are very accommodating. Our room faced the ocean and was spacious, well appointed and quite large. It included a compact, well equipped kitchen that would be convenient for families, especially those with young children who don't want to eat all meals in a restaurant. The gratis jars of snacks & drinks were a nice touch and refilled every day. We ate on site and were generally pleased with the variety, preparation and service. Be aware that Watch Hill pretty much closes down after Labor Day during the week so off-site dining within walking distance or short drive is pretty much non-existent. A few shops and restaurants open on the weekend during the Fall season. We were there to relax and OH was a perfect place to do just that. I attended a cooking class at OH that was fun and a nice diversion. We never made it to the spa. Like many resorts that boom during the summer and rely on college help, I can see how maintaining the high level of service might be a challenge. However, we have nothing but praise for OH and will definitely return. OH is worth the splurge !

1 Thank Noni S
Thank you sincerely for your “two cents”. You make some good observations about how Watch Hill and the surrounding area does change dramatically once the summer has passed. We do now have a sister property, the Weekapaug Inn, which opened on October 7, 2012 and offers two dining options. As we are sister properties, we provide a shuttle service between the two so guests have expanded dining options. This is especially valuable once summer has passed and the local dining scene is reduced. The Weekapaug Inn also has a naturalist on staff who offers interesting tours and talks about the local environs, wild-life and birds. Guests at both properties are encouraged to utilize the services and offerings at both.

Phila area
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My wife and I decided to go to the Ocean House to celebrate our 20th anniversary. To be honest I have never heard of Watch Hill or the Ocean House before. When we arrived the valets and Bellmen made us feel welcome and let us know we were in first class weekend. Checking in was a OK and we were guided to our room. When we arrived in our room we were honestly disappointed. I had made the reservations in advance and had requested an Ocean View. We called the front desk and voiced our displeasure. Patrick came to our rescue and put us in a room the was wonderful. It met all our needs and was the type room we envisioned when we decided to go to the Ocean House. The employees at the OH are all very polite and friendly.
We purchased a package that included dinner and breakfast. We enjoyed both very much, the service was top notch. Our only thought was it was almost like the kitchen tried too hard and the food was confusing. Also, there really aren't many options.
In summary, we loved the OH and plan on returning sometime in the future.

Room Tip: Request the type room early.
1 Thank SteveMurt
I am pleased that Patrick was able to find you a room that satisfied you and that all of our staff and the service they provided was top notch. Our menu is always changing as we base our menus on a “farm-to-table” philosophy, using local purveyors and ingredients to offer the freshest and in-season dishes. We hope you will join us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Watch Hill
#7 of 17 in Westerly
Inn at Mystic
Inn at Mystic
#5 of 13 in Mystic

Been to The Ocean House? Share your experiences!