“Stunning!”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Watch Hill
Westerly, Rhode Island
“Stunning!”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

My wife and I are locals from Westerly, RI and decided we would go out for a "date night" of dessert and drinks. When we arrived at Ocean House (our first visit although we watched the hotel being built), we were immediately welcomed and the whole staff was simply wonderful! When you enter the restaurant you can view the magnificent kitchen in action. The seating areas are all these wonderful smaller settings, but we were interested in something different. We asked to be seated outside and were presented with a stunning view of the coast with the full moon perfectly centered, reflecting across the water to our table and my wife's eyes. With the sound of the surf "Breathtaking"! Our waiter was fantastic! Friendly, with an awesome voice and wonderful Jamaican accent, he was the icing on the cake for our whole experience. We loved the tablet menu, a fantastic idea for our old tired eyes, and the selection was outstanding! I had the souffle and my wife had the creme brulee. The wine list was incredible and we settled on a vintage port. Later on we had espresso. Wonderful experience! We would highly recommend a full moon evening in the late summer, for someone looking for that special location for a date. Afterwards, we walked around and were truly impressed with the hotel and the grounds. A class act down to every detail and worth the experience! We so lucky to have it be so close!

3 Thank Andy S
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at Ocean House. There is something almost magical about the location and the view one can enjoy at any time of day. We hope you will come back to create more memories in the future.

Warm Regards,
President & Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Turkish first
New Canaan, Connecticut
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My husband and I just spent two wonderful nights at the Ocean House. This was our second visit there since it reopened. The beach is gorgeous and the service was excellent. The room was clean and airy. The spa services that I received were divine. We were sad to leave and can't wait to visit again. The only problem we had was at the beach,when we ordered two frozen drinks that never showed up. After a half hour of waiting we headed to the Verandah for lunch. I was really looking forward to drinking a pina colada on the beach.

Marylou Rothfuss

1 Thank Marylou R
We are truly sorry for tarnishing your experience by neglecting to deliver your drink on the beach. We hope you will join us again for a third visit and allow us to make up for this mistake.

Farmington, Connecticut
Reviewed August 23, 2012

My husband and I had lunch at the Ocean House in early August. We rent a beach house in Misquamicut and love going into Watch Hill. We decided to enjoy lunch at the Ocean House after golf one day. We were welcomed uncondintionally. From the valet parking attendant to the servers, to the shop woman, everyone was welcoming and friendly. I have many, many fond memories of the Ocean House of old. Financially, I can't afford the cost of a room during the summer, but can treat us to lunch! Although the ticket price is high, it's comparable to lunch at the equally as wonderful Olympia Tea Room. Maybe a bit higher, but you pay for that view. It was a wonderfully relaxing lunch, followed by a stroll around the grounds and a poke around the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
We are so happy you enjoyed your visit to the Ocean House. Our goal is to make sure everyone who walks through our front door feels welcomed. We hope you to have the opportunity to welcome you again next summer.

Warm Regards,

New York
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My family just returned from a two night stay at the Ocean House. The place is absolutely wonderful - the grounds, beach and ocean are gorgeous and the rooms were spacious and beautifully decorated. We were surprised to learn that they upgraded us to two connecting rooms from one room with a pull out sofa, it almost made the $1,000/night feel like "a deal". But like other reviews I have read, we too experienced many disappointments. The staff was warm and friendly, but completely inexperienced and clueless. I called in advance to reserve a two hour sailboat ride, but when we showed up at the marina - they had us down for a motor boat. The $32 salads we ordered for our lunch on the boat came without dressing, and there was nothing we could do because were already out on the seas. The biggest disappointment was the service on the beach. The first day there was no one to help set up chairs, get towels or order snacks and drinks in the late afternoon. I begged a girl to bring me a drinks menu, she said she would be right back, and never showed up!! The next morning a very friendly older man was there to set up our chairs - and i asked him about the beach service. He said that for some reason half the staff did not show up for work yesterday?!! How can that possibly happen at a hotel that is ranked so high?? Later in the day that same man reprimanded me for taking another towel after i rinsed off and walked over to where we sitting to shake the sand out of the towels we had been using all day... SO BIZARE?! We sat down at the ocean lunch restaurant the second day and it took exactly one hour to bring out two salads , a hamburger and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (only one other table was occupied!!). There was no manager in sight to oversee anything.. In addition the Lifeguard sign reads "On duty 9am-6pm". There are two life guard chairs on the beach - but both days there was only one lifeguard who arrived at 11am and left at 5pm and he spent most of the time talking to his buddies at the ocean restaurant, completely ignoring the swimmers. He could not have been more than 17 years old. Most of the staff at the hotel looked like they were under 25. Overall, the food was pretty good, but extremely expensive. At one of the dinners my kids each ordered a $40 steak that was so small, they had to split a third entree.
Having said all of that, I will still highly recommend The Ocean House to my friends and go back myself. I am just hoping that management will read a few of these reviews and ramp up the service. It is a shame, because everything else about the place is wonderful...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank MelissaBNewYork
Thank you for your feedback. We are truly sorry your experience fell short of your expectations and ours. Your comments are noted and will be shared with staff to address and correct. We do read all and respond to most reviews in order to understand what areas need improvement.

New York
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I just returned from a 3 night stay at the Ocean House. After reading reviews and getting an email that they were ranked the 4th best hotel in the U.S., I had very high expectations for this resort. Unfortunately I was extremely disappointed during my stay for many reasons. This hotel is beautiful. The grounds are well kept, the ocean and views are breathtaking. However, the service was extremely poor. The most distressing part of my vacation was the assumption that I was not a hotel guest. When I would inquire about a service that the hotel offered, I was told on at least 4 different occasions that I was not entitled to this service because they were only for hotel guests. The use of a cabana, a cookie during tea time, and the clambake were all for hotel guests only. When I said that I in fact was a guest, the staff would be more than accommodating. I have no problem being asked if I was a guest, but in each of these cases I was told no because they assumed I wasn't. As much as I detest a wrist band at an all inclusive resort showing who belongs, it would have been less intrusive than this constant put down. At times I would even be in a bathing suit with a hotel towel wrapped around me, so to assume that I wasn't a guest would be ridiculous. We were also extremely dissatisfied with quality and service of the clambake. I understand that due to inclement weather, the clambake needed to be moved indoors. The new set up was not explained to us (again, we were told it was indoors and would only be available to hotel guests). Upon our realization that there would be very cramped quarters, we asked about using an available table on the veranda or one of the many available tables in the dining area. The hostess used an almost threatening tone and informed us that we could be placed on a waiting list with no guarantee that we would be seated before the 9:00pm end time. After speaking to a manager, we were accommodated with a lovely table. However, the food was cold, the assortment of side dishes was minimal ( one green salad, plain potatoes, and cole slaw) the muscles,clams, and lobster were all steamed and devoid of flavor, and we were left to our own devices to find appropriate silverware. Upon reading our bill on the way home we were shocked to see that a 20% service charge was added to our bill for that dinner which amounted to $65.When I called to explain our dissatisfaction, the person I spoke to was very helpful and offered to deduct the price of one dinner which would exceed the $65. Our room was okay. However, for the price, the room with its partial water view ( if I craned my neck and leaned over the balcony I could see it) was disappointing. It was clearly a street view. As frequent travelers to the New England area, we can honestly say that this was an unsatisfactory experience.

18 Thank RobyWilliams
I am deeply sorry that your experience was disappointing. We appreciate your feedback and will most assuredly share it with our staff as a learning tool. Regarding the frequent and inaccurate assumption that you were not a guest, I can certainly understand how upsetting that would be, however due to the large volume of day guests visiting our restaurants we do train our staff to give priority to hotel guests visiting our various outlets, and that is why they do ask in the outlets. As regards to your experience with the clambake, I regret that it did rain on the day in question, forcing us to cancel the outdoor clambake on the beach for that evening. In order to accommodate hotel guests who had clambake reservations, we did telephone each guest and offer alternative dining options on property, including an indoor clambake in one of our function spaces so that guests could still enjoy the experience. I apologize if it was not to your liking.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

After spending millions of dollars, The Ocean House has been meticulously restored by its owners. The restoration is tremendous! This luxury hotel is perched right on the ocean in one of Rhode Island's most stunning spots. Watch Hill is a very expensive place to live, and you will see a lot of incredible mansions here. It stands to reason that this hotel would also be extravagant and expensive, too. Rooms cost a small fortune, even in the winter. But if you have the financial means to stay here, go for it! Even the restaurants on site are expensive, but the food is excellent and you have gorgeous waterviews from the dining area. You must explore the beach and shops while you are here, and soak in the beautiful scenery. You are in one of Rhode Island's most pretty places to be. Check out the gallery of photos on their website to see what I mean!

Room Tip: Check out their website to see the differences among the rooms. There are several types to pick from...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CleverCat
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for visiting the Ocean House and sharing your thoughts. The Ocean House welcomed guests for 135 years, until 2003 when the building closed. In 2004 a new structure replicating the original exterior design was conceived. More than 5,000 salvageable artifacts and furnishing elements were lovingly harvested from the original structure’s historic interiors. These elements are a part of the $146 million new structure.

New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I ate lunch at the Ocean House last week and found the grounds to be beautiful and the staff very friendly and accomodating. However, the cost for lunch was outrageous. Two ceasar salads with shrimp, tuna appetizer, one glass of wine and a soda came to $92.00. It was also average in taste. I would not go back as there are plenty of awesome restaurants in the RI area that are much less expensive and far better. I have stayed at exclusive resorts on many exotic islands and paid less for food that had to be transported in.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
#9 of 17 in Westerly
Inn at Mystic
Inn at Mystic
#5 of 13 in Mystic

Been to The Ocean House? Share your experiences!