“I expected better service from the front desk”

Crowne Plaza Providence-Warwick Airport
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Warwick
Reviewed May 4, 2012

I stayed here one night in March because I was attending a convention at this hotel. I parked in the front, went in to ask for help with my luggage and boxes. Nobody offered or greeted me so I grabbed a luggage cart, loaded up my stuff from the car and and took it in, it was only then that someone asked if they can help. Where were they 5 minutes before when I needed help? I'll tell you, they were all talking with eachother and ignoring the customer. I declined their help and took my stuff up myself and brought the luggage cart back to down myself as well. All went well, drove to a little beach restaurant for dinner. The room was good. The pillows were the worst I have ever had in a hotel that costs over $100 a night. I slept the night before in providence at the Biltmore and that was the best bedding I have ever had in a hotel so it was quite aggrevating to to toss and turn the next night in this hotel. I did mention this to the front desk staff in the morning and the only thing I was told was "sorry, you should have called us, we have other types of pillows". I didn't realize that was an option, I should have called. The other issue I had was the shower knob was turned so tight I had to call someone to turn in on in the morning. A guest service employee came up and he had a difficult time turning it so I know it wasn't me. No apologies, no offer of any type of compensation. Would I stay here again? Most likely not.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Providence-Warwick Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

Dear OrlandoMomlovesbeach,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service from our staff which was unacceptable. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 4, 2012

This property is about the same as any other Crowne Plaza. Rooms were clean, amenities were the standard for Crowne. The staff is great. Everyone friendly and helpful. The bar/wait staff were fun. The food wasn't that great but, the late night staff told us that the chef was new. Perhaps he/she needs to settle in. Everything that we ordered that was "off" was corrected. Nice place for a airport hotel.

Reviewed April 27, 2012

I stayed here for a week while on business training. The common areas are very nice and the hotel appeals to the short-term conference crowd. In many cases, those are locals, so they may not be using the hotel rooms or other facilities.

My room wasn't horrible but it was unspectacular. On that basis, I couldn't give it 4 stars. I was in a nice size room with a small coffee table and sofa along with the obligatory desk area. The bathroom was tiny, with the washbasin outside, as you would find in lower quality properties. TV was the old CRT style (no HD) with a decent selection of channels. It's built into the credenza which isn't great if you're not laying in bed. WiFi was free, which was a very nice plus in the rooms (but not accessible in the common areas.) Bed was average: not the best I've slept in but far from the worst.

Restaurants in the hotel were OK to good, but there are better options nearby. The hotel offers a free shuttle within a limited area, or if you have a car it's an even better option.

In short, it's an adequate facility but it's not a place you'd probably want to seek out.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

The hotel is very lovely with updated rooms that are very clean and inviting. My only negative is that there are no amenitites included in the price of the room - no breakfast, no concierge level, no bottled water. In comparison, I recently stayed at another Crowne Plaza in Cromwell, CT and had ALL those listed above for less amount per night. The distance from TF Green Airport is a about a 10 minute shuttle ride vs. the Hampton Inn or Comfort Suites right there at the airport and with some great restaurants within walking distance. This Crowne Plaza is really in the middle of nowhere. Ate breakfast in the restaurant and would rate it fair to good, nothing to rave about Otherwise, would stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: 5th or 6th floor for a quieter stay.
Reviewed February 23, 2012

First of all, let me say that I am asking for it by writing this review as I have to stay here again next month. However, I promise that if my next visit is better I will update this review!!!

Let's start at the beginning...my company arranged for many of us to stay here last week for a work event. Upon my arrival at about dusk one evening, the cab turns the corner to come around to the front of the hotel and I realize that this is where I am going to spend the next week of my life. My description is going to sound a bit dramatic and I know this, but this is how my brain works. My first thought was that it looked like an old converted insane asylum.

The revolving doors at the front had a sign that said please use other door. Weird. So, I opened the manual door and yanked my luggage through and then a bellman came over to open the second set for me. Thank you, sir. OK...this isn't so bad I try to tell myself. The place immediately gave off a vintage fancy vibe. The front desk staff was friendly throughout check in. Although, they had my reservation a bit messed up with my check out date a day early. Got that rectified and was on my merry way.

Got to my room and settled in. It was a nicely remodeled room. Nothing fancy, but nice and clean. I went and checked out the gym...a little small for a hotel of this size, but was sufficient for my needs. That evening I ordered room service and the food was OK...I only ordered soup and salad, but whatevs.

The next several days, our group was confined to the banquet halls/rooms in one of the wings of the hotel. We were served banquet style food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It was honestly some of the worst banquet food I have tasted...and some of the oddest. Not to mention, I was usually one of the first ones to each meal and the food was already cold!!! We all joked all week long about getting sick...more to come on that a bit later on!!!

As the week progressed, I realized how thin the walls were. This I noticed when I was startled awake by the sound of a man's voice in my room. Except, upon fully waking, I realized he wasn't in my room, but was in the room next to me. I could hear his SKYPE conversation with his wife and baby as if they were sitting on the bed next to me. Creepy. Not to mention his constant hacking and snot spitting I had to endure as I was getting ready every morning. Gross.

So, Friday comes and I find a check out receipt under my door. I thought I took care of this at check in. I called down and explained I wasn't leaving until Saturday. They said they would simply "extend" me. I tried to explain again, but was cut short with the explanation that the extension would take care of it. Whatevs. Later that afternoon I go to use the gym and my key no longer works. Down to the front desk I go. They had cut my key off I am assuming due to the check out error.

I will say, however, that ALL of the staff I encountered was very nice and helpful. I have not one complaint about any single one of them. They are doing their jobs quite nicely.

My final experience. I order room service Friday night which consisted of a turkey sandwich and soup. As I am eating my meal I start to feel a little weird in the stomach. Hmmm...odd. Nothing else really happens, I go to bed and wake up EARLY to catch a flight. I am feeling a little more odd at this point, but nothing has happened as of yet...just a little dizzy and slightly nauseas. I am on my first leg of the flight home and I suddenly have an overwhelming need to vomit. So, for the next 6-7 hours in 2 different airports and on 2 different flights, I vomit my brains out. I finally make it home and think I am going to die. I sleep until the next day when I wake up feeling fine. This was no flu...this was food poisoning.

I am really dreading coming back here next month, but I will be bringing my own food so I will avoid any food issues...so that's already a positive, right?

The hotel's negatives, in my opinion, are the thin walls and the food!!! The hotel's positives are its staff and its location to the airport.

I know that my overall experience was probably not so bad to receive a 2 star rating, however, I say they are lucky they are getting a 2 star after I got sick.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Mandinkadell
Reviewed February 15, 2012

Have stayed here many times and it never disappoints. The rooms are large, the beds extremely comfortable, and the conference rooms are comfortable. Alfreds is a great place for a drink and to unwind.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 22, 2012

I spent a few nights there two different times in the last coupe of weeks while attending a conference. Really clean hotel with great conference room facilities. The hotel has a free shuttle from and to the airport which makes it even more accessible.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business