“Great food”

Ranked #34 of 305 Restaurants in Warwick
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

The food and service was great. The chief we had was in training so he was not very skilled or interactive. The second chief we had was fun and interactive and my 4 yr old enjoyed his skills! The portions are good sized for leftovers the next day. The prices are high and for 2 people expect the bill to be $100 easily!

Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

Really good sushi. Chef wasn't the most skilled performance I've seen, but he was good and personable. Hibachi itself was great.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

The take out experience was just so so. I had better sushi somewhere else. I wished the hibachi could be more tasty...

Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

I find this to be the best fo the hibachi places in RI. The meats are fresh and prepared well. The serving size is very generous and the appetizers, drinks and desserts are also very good. Service is just average ad the prices are very high.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I am not sure about all the positive reviews, maybe they went downhill since then? Or maybe some people have never been to any other Japanese steakhouse and have nothing to compare it to. Well, I have. For over 20 years, Oki's in N Providence was the only game in town, but they went downhill and has since closed. Many more Japanese steak houses has cropped up since then. I went to Shogun a few years ago and it was very good. I went last weekend, and it was not. It was a Friday night so they should have had their game on, but nope. First problem, service. The server has a relatively easy job because the cook does the main meal. The server forgot our water, our drinks, we had to remind him. Then, the main meal: The chef could not perform ANY tricks. He just cooked. Yea, he made an onion volcano, he asked us if we wanted a free egg roll...and rolled an egg off his spoon, ha ha.... but that was it. No flinging food into people's mouths
or his hat, no spinning, flipping egg tricks, or juggling utensils, nothing. He just cooked. Next, the food....average. The ginger dressing on the salad had way too much salt in it. The brown sauce for the meat was too salty. Someone in the kitchen loves salt. No attention to detail. We ordered filet mignon, average. How can filet mignon be average you say? I don't know, presentation I guess. The chef did not cut the meat into bite size portions. They were twice the size I was used to, and we had no knife, so I was stuck taking two bites out of one piece of meat. How lazy can the chef be that he could not spend the time to cut up the meat more? The main issue I have with hibachi restaurants is charging extra for fried rice. You see, Oki's used to do that. They would ask you if you wanted fried rice (and who does not love fried rice?) They don't tell you that they charge extra for it, but that is assumed if they ask you if you want it. They never ask you if you want salad, or soup, which is included in the meal. So, you pay $3.50pp for the fried rice in addition to the small scoop of white rice that is included in the meal. I ordered it because we were with another couple and they were getting it, and because most of the hibachi steakhouses we go to now include the fried rice in the price of the meal, we expect it. It also was not that good, too much soy sauce and not enough vegetables and egg in it, kind of like the crud you get from American style Chinese restaurants. The 2 pieces of shrimp included in the meal were too salty as well. What's the deal with the salt? It was also very hot in there at the table. Yes, it was a warm summer night, but we were sweating at the table because they didn't have the air conditioning turned up to mitigate the heat from the grill. Ok, ready for this? When we first walked in and saw the male patrons wearing tank tops with their hairy arm pits exposed, we accepted the fact that this place doesn't attract classy people. Right before we left, I had to use the restroom. I couldn't because someone threw up in there! Yes, vomit on the floor. Classy. My last gripe is the price of the meal. We paid $26 for the filet mignon. We usually pay $24 at our regular spot, Sake in Mansfield,MA. So, after looking at our bill, we spent $14 more for the exact same meal inc tax and tip at Shogun that at our usual place, and had a lousy show. I am from RI, but live in MA now. The RI mentality is to not leave the state unless you absolutely have to. But I would advise to venture out. Shogun charges too much, and offers substandard food and experience.