“Esthetically could use a facelift . . .”

Governor Francis Inn
Ranked #55 of 301 Restaurants in Warwick
Warwick, Rhode Island
“Esthetically could use a facelift . . .”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I always have a solid "good" food experience here; the cold shrimp cocktail, baked stuffed shrimp are awsome. The portions are decent, some more generous than others. But overall, a good place to stop in when you are hungry. I has an active bar area, televised sports events, age range is 50+, not necessarily a singles bar but neighborhood couples and regulars. The newer dining room is bright and open whereas the older part of the restaurant behind the bar is dark and kinda dingy . . . not that it is unclean. Sometimes the kitchen is visable when you walk through the bar area and it looks a bit messy, especially the floor. But, with a little attention to detail, this place will have a renewed clientele . . .

• Visited April 2013

Cranston, Rhode Island
“Good family food!”
Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

The food was fresh, plentiful and tasty. My husband got chicken and fries, it was juicy and delicious... as he described it. I got fried oysters, that a lot of restaurants turn into fried breading, not in this case moist and the quantity was plentiful. The menu was varied to suit all appetites. The prices are cheap considering the quality. You aren't getting eating in a glamorous restaurant, but you aren't paying those prices either, make no mistake, it is a nice family restaurant and I plan on enjoying often.

1 Thank gailyee
Charlotte
“Great experience”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I was apprehensive trying out this place, what with the negative reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised.
The restaurant was very clean, and the waitress we had was helpful, knowledgable, and genuinely friendly. We came after the Monday night dinner rush, about 7:30 or so, and although we were definitely past peak time, we never felt rushed or pushed in any way. Most diners looked like multigenerational family groups.
Decor: I was thinking maybe paper plates and plastic forks with velvet Elvis paintings, but that was not the case. It is dated to be sure...I'd say we ate in the 80's room, with deep black faux leather booths, stained glass, and some country decor. But it was immaculately kept, and frankly I would rather pay $10 less on the bill than have a nicer backdrop for Facebook photos.
Cost: midrange -- which was exactly what we were looking for. We were on vacation and did not want to spend over $20 an entree every evening and face the Visa bill later. Nor did we want to eat burgers and subs all week, or go to a chain restaurant.
Food: hubby got the whole lobster stuffed with crab, and I got the roast chicken stuffed with walnuts and other goodies. We also had two veggies each, and clam chowder for the appetizer. Everything was very good to excellent, and we were not going home hungry. I thought the clam chowder was particularly good. The food also did not taste as if it had been sitting under a heat lamp for a while. Presentation was basic (other than the lobster, which was a majestic beast). By this I mean no fancy squiggles of sauce and artfully arranged food (which is fun from time to time, to be sure). Plus the menu tells you what you are going to eat without an over abundance of posh adjectives.
One final item: of course I had to check out the famous butternut squash. It's like mashed sweet potatoes with lots of butter and sugar, only a bit milder. I enjoyed it, but if you don't like sweet veggies pick something else.

• Visited August 2013
Rhode Island
“RI institution for a reason!”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Governor Francis Inn has been around for as long as I have. Good food, good quality, good service and good prices have made it so.

It's funny but it's biggest claim to fame with locals isn't an entree or appetizer... it's the vegetable. They make the best butternut squash you've ever tasted. Any time I go in and the butternut squash is one of the daily vegetable choices, no matter what else I order I'm going to love my meal!

For what it's worth, I always order seafood or Italian, but my husband goes for the turkey dinner. This is the place for well-prepared standards, not for modern fushion cuisine. I have absolutely NO idea why the cuisine of this restaurant is listed as "Californian". Maybe as a joke! It's traditional RI cuisine.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Lauryc
Framingham, Massachusetts
“It's charm is in the portion size...”
Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

This restaurant has decent prices for somewhat bland pasta and seafood dishes. The portions are huge, though, and I got two full meals out of mine. Also make a reservation if you're going for dinner, it gets packed fast and the table turn around is slow.