“For a special night.”

Portofino
Ranked #28 of 302 Restaurants in Warwick
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
RI - USA
“For a special night.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

My husband and I went to what is really called "Elizabeth(s) Portfino. We decided to avoid the 'Valentine's Day' crush and visited on a Tuesday evening, just as they were opening. Of course, we were the first to arrive but by the time we left, the place was filled. They do offer a 'special' on Tuesdays - i.e. entree, salad and a bottle of house wine for about $40 total (for 2). Really a good deal but with limited options offered for entree. We decided to order off the menu because we had a $25 Restaurant.com certificate but later decided the 'special' would have been a better deal. My husband ordered a filet mignon and that came with sauted green beans; I ordered rosemary skewered scallops and they were served over citrus risotto. I specifically asked our server to make sure my scallops were completely done - I prefer my seafood to be cooked on the side of 'overcooked', but when I cut into my second scallop it was cold in the middle. Yuck.....but the server immediately took them away to be heated. During this time, my husband had almost finished his steak so this 'hiccup' took away from what could have been a nice visit. We did order a dessert to share - a small serving of chocolate Creme Brulee.
Good comments: Quality Food, excellent service
Not so good comments: Cold food - unacceptable especially fish unless you're eating sushi! Use a thermometer in the kitchen!!
Small servings - in itself this is ok - but for us to hesitate to order a salad because of the price....we would have been happy with a small dinner salad to be included in the price of the meal.
Ah yes, the price ~ total w/o tip was 91.75. This included: the filet ($22); scallops ($22), added scallops ($8) on my husband's steak; a bottle of house Pino Grigio ($22); dessert ($7) and 2 coffees ($4 ea). Plus a 20% tip because our server, Dorrae was very good.
Again, I have to say this is a restaurant that doesn't rush you - it would be great for a special day - you just have to ignore that it's in a strip mall (what isn't in RI???) but I guess I feel that it was just a little overpriced. Not sure if I would go back ~

• Visited February 2013

Providence, Rhode Island
“Good Service, Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

We have dined at Portofino's a few times, and we have always enjoyed it, from the atmosphere, service, and to very good food. We have always asked to be seated where Josh would be our server, he is attentive, pleasant, and always prompt whenever we needed anything. Our recent visit, 1/16/2013, my wife had the Salmon, which she loved, and I had the Seafood Pescatore, which also was very tasty, the only disappointment was that they ran out of their Chicken soup, which was always so good, but because of the busy night, and very cold weather, it was a much requested item. Having a solo woman singing soft dinner music, was very Nice, and added that certain touch that most restaurants don't have. The menu was good, the price of most dinners were comparable to other better places to dine, not cheap, but not as expensive as some in downtown Providence, and there is valet parking, since the parking lot is rather small especially on the weekend. Reservations should be made if you want to dine at Portofino's on weekend nights, and they do seat you within about 10-15mins. of your reserved time, if you do want a nice dinner, and a nice night out where they don't rush you out, do try Portofino's, and ask to have Josh as your server, you will enjoy your visit there. This is a nice place for couples, and small to medium size groups for Birthday, or other parties, do remember to make reservations a few hours beforehand.

• Visited January 2013
Coventry, Rhode Island
1,355 restaurant reviews
“now a hidden jewel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

in a little strip mall this place is the place to take someone special for a great meal.High class in a strip mall? yup. It is that good.
The chef's really know their stuff.Italy has arrived in Warwick,R.I. on Post Rd.Go there.Dress nice casual but really this is not a Jean place.You will be out of place.
The owner is a nice lady who wants to please her guests. Yes,Go there.

Visited September 2012
“Lemoncello”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have been there several times and always enjoyed the food and service. You could drive right by and not even know it is there, but if you do notice it you have found a gem of a family restaurant.

• Visited October 2012
Rhode Island
“Worth a try”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

This restaurant sits in a strip mall on busy Rt. 1 (Post Road). We have been there a number of times and have had mixed results. The last time was no different. Three of the four meals were done correctly. One had to be sent back. There was no problem with that.
It is a little pricey, but, when it is good it is worth it
The drinks are good, the service, again, spotty.

• Visited November 2012