“Carousel Grill - ok, but could have been better”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Carousel Grille
Ranked #233 of 302 Restaurants in Warwick
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Visiting the area and it was suggested that we go to the Carousel Grille. The place was not crowded when we came in and our waitress was attentive. We had the calamari, which was good, along with cheese sticks with potato skins as appetizers, which were ok. Everyone enjoyed the chowder but the lobster mac and cheese didn't contain a lot of lobster. The stuffed shrimp was good and the seafood casserole (shrimp, scallops and fish in a newberg sauce covered with breadcrumbs) was ok - the individual scallops and shrimp were good but the sauce was not anything special. The decor was tired and appeared to be a place the locals would go. Overall, ok but unmemorable.

3  Thank TXMamaLiz
There are newer reviews for The Carousel Grille

Reviewed September 22, 2012

The Carousel Grill is really in Oakland Beach, at the "entrance" to the actual beach area. Having been there on at least 6 occasions, we especially like to dine outside under the umbrella-covered tables. Wait staff is quick to acknowledge your arrival and always pleasant. Good choice of appetizers and entrees with variety from one visit to the next.

1  Thank JL G
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We started with the calamari on special (which had balsamic vinegar), which was very good. Wife got the sea scallops as usual and, as usual, got a nice large plate of fat sweet scallops (11 this time) with a side of mashed and a side of squash (which was excellent considering it's not in season). I got the special Lobster Mac & Cheese, which had a good amount of lobster meat over breadcrumb-topped penne with a creamy bechamel sauce (more an alfredo than a traditional melted cheese, but still very tasty). Waitress was excellent. Why this place isn't busier I don't know.

1  Thank JD10367
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I have visited this establishment on several occasions, most recently after a Groupon went on sale and we wanted to go for a nice dinner this past week (July 2012). While there is nothing terribly wrong or bad about the Grille, it does not stand out in any great way either. It is a good place to grab a bite to eat when down the Beach.

Atmosphere - Parking is tough in the beach during the summer. They have a parking lot but it does not hold the amount of cars for the amount of people the restaurant holds. Not a big deal. We parked at the sea wall and made our way past the long lines of Iggys and up to the doors of the Grille. While there were a few empty tables both inside and out, the staff told us we had to wait staff that we had to wait 10 minutes because the kitchen was busy. Not sure of the logic, I would be more comfortable at a table with a drink but the lone bench against the building was good enough.

The problem with this was that this outside “waiting” area is also the smoking area. Not a good mix – me and smokers. We had to go for a short walk to escape the lady who would not quit puffing.

We opted to sit outside. We have sat inside before and it is slightly industrial (reminds me of a banquet hall with uncomfortable, stackable chairs and center leg tables). Outside, you are in a parking lot, but at least it is outside, and I did not see anyone smoking while we ate. Tables were spread out enough, umbrellas were useful as the sun set, and the constant parade of cars, motorcycles, and walkers provides entertainment. They may benefit by putting up some type of barrier other than a lone rope between the dining area and the street and parking lot. I understand it is only a seasonal sitting area, but it was really just sitting in the parking lot – a small fence, shrub buckets, anything to give the impression you are at the restaurant.

Wait staff – always nice. Yes, our waitress was also a bartender during the week, but that has little effect on me as others may have stated otherwise in other reviews. She was busy, but attentive and had a good attitude. We were not in a hurry and let her know this. She knew the answers to most of our questions and only got one small detail wrong about one item, but it had little effect on our night.

Appetizers – Crab cakes – VERY flavorful, though on the small side for the $12 price. Market is high for fish this year, but the two small cakes it was a lot to pay. They were well worth it though, and I would order them again next time. They had a bit of a kick to them with the sauce, and were flavorful all by themselves. Chowder followed, along with salads. The chowder was much better then Iggys, I can honestly say this. While they have the market of outdoor walk up cornered in the Beach, I would recommend walking 100 yards up the hill and hitting up the outdoor trailer set up in the parking lot of the Carousel Grille parking lot and enjoy a cup of theirs, they offer free samples. Not sure about their clam cakes, but I can say the chowder is much better. The salad was a salad – green, veggies, etc. nothing fancy.

Main meals – Sword Fish, baked potatoes, glazed carrots for me, Baked Scrod for the wife. Sword fish was delicious, and not a flimsy piece you get at some restaurants these days. It was a solid, good size meal. Cooked to perfection with just the right amount of grilling and seasoning. Carrots were great and a baked potato is hard to mess up, it too was good. The wives fish was also perfect, and a good size piece. Knowing the prices of fish are on the rise, the market prices did not surprise us (swordfish) and hers was posted in the menu at a reasonable price. No desserts for us tonight.

The bill came in right around where we felt it should be. Paying and leaving was easy as we didn’t have to wait around or flag down the server. The staff were all pleasant. Inside, a band was starting to play and it was getting loud (inside), could barely hear them on the outside unless the door was popping open.

Overall, good experience, price was right (especially with the often available groupon) and we would consider returning in the future. Downfalls were the very parking lot feeling, and nothing to set it apart from other restaurants as far as offerings or atmosphere. You see that before you sit down to eat, and the amount of tables available helps make the parking lot outdoor eating feel somewhat better. With 3 other restaurants right there, you have choices on summer nights for dinner down Oakland Beach. Consider giving this place a shot, you may like it.

1  Thank BF F
Reviewed June 18, 2012

The food is terrible. My friends' sides were cold. My sweet potato fries were rubbery and soggy. The burger was over cooked. I asked for it to be cooked medium and it was well done. They messed up the order 3 times and the service was painfully slow. When I politely mentioned these issues to one of the owners, she became defensive and rude. They had the bartender waitressing. I've eaten there before, not by choice, and hated it every time. The last time was it for me though.

3  Thank evespia