“Living on past glory”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Swansea, Massachusetts
“Living on past glory”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This is the third ownership I've seen at this restaurant which used to be a local favorite. It's been sliding downhill for 15 years. Just thought we'd give it another try for Sunday dinner given the current owner's bad luck as of late.
Since we arrived before 2:00 on a Sunday, we had the option to partake in the Sunday brunch. The hostess suggested we check out the brunch before deciding. I did so only to find no resemblance at all to the slightly better than average brunch that was put on by the previous owner. The menu was extremely limited and contained no premium choices.
Hence, we ordered from the menu. My wife had the chicken Caesar salad entree. She had nothing bad to say about it, except that it wasn't authentic (no egg or anchovie in sight). I had the fish & chips. The two, uniformly-shaped portions of battered cod gushed liquid from inside when cut into; the batter on the outside was greasy and the cod itslf was chewy. Add all this up and this smacks of obviously having come from frozen.
The by-the-glass wine list is contains only budget wines, each $6-$7 glass nearly paying for the bottle.
After 20+ years of patronizing the businesses in this building, I'm sad to report that I've paid my last trip.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank William J

Portsmouth, RI
“Lunch was fantastic”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Stopped by for lunch with out of town relatives, 5 of us. All had sandwiches, huge servings, had the Monte Cristos, Prime Rib and a huge Cheeseburger. Delicious to say the least, nice variety
of fries, great service,,Doreen was on the spot, great personality, atitude, got right in the groove
with my family....we had some great laughs besides the food! Can't say enough about the meals.
Recommend it highly, the prices were outstanding for the volume and quality of the sandwiches.
We'll be back.....Omer Plourde (Portsmouth) & siblings!!!!!

New Haven, Connecticut
“Yuck, don't go for brunch”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We went for brunch today. It was terrible. There is very little choice. The desserts looked like they came straight from the supermarket. The scrambled eggs were watery. The omelet was cooked with about a cup of olive oil. The cold salmon was not cooked through. We had to ask for bread and the choices were white or an english muffin, which they were not thrilled to bring from the back. When I asked if there was some jam to go with it, they brought out small packets of Smuckers concord grape. So if you are looking for something interesting or tasty, this is not the place for you. And it cost $20 per person plus tip.

2 Thank Shmau
“Sunday Brunch Surprise”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stopped in on Sunday afternoon about 1 with a party of 5 and was delighted that a large party had just left and we were seated immediately. Brunch was a wonderful assortment of usual ( omelette and waffle station) and a little extra special ( fresh cold salmon with the salads). The hot entrees ( seafood casserole, stuffed chicken breasts and shepherds pie were hot and tasty. The dessert selection was outstanding and choices were numerous but bite size so you could enjoy a couple without waste. The only item was not up to recommendation was scrambled eggs. Just needed to be removed - dry and overcooked. We had outstanding service and would recommend to others. Just skip scrambled eggs and ask for a customized omelette!!

Decherd, Tennessee
“wonderful choice”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I wanted to treat my friend to a great birthday lunch. SUCCESS! Sandy ( I think ( was in the tavern/ bar area) and couldn't have been more helpful I had an amazing salad heaped high with lobster salad, we had clams casino. One in our party had salmon ( which is ALWAYS chancy in my opinion) another had scallops. EVERY part of everyone's meal was top notch. Including dessert and cocktails. We cant wait to go back here again.. SOON!

• Visited July 2012