“Don't understand the hype”
Review of Luke's Inn

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Providence, Rhode Island
“Don't understand the hype”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I have been to Luke's Inn three times: once with my husband, and twice with my friends who love the place; not once have I had an enjoyable food experience. The first time, with my husband, I had the crab rangoons and chicken friend rice. I will say that the crab rangoons were delicious, but that is all. Their chicken fried rice tasted purely of oil. The times I've gone with my friends, I've had the teriyaki chicken, which were nothing special. The peking ravioli was made with gristled meat and I couldn't even finish them. During my second visit, my friend forgot her purse there, and when we went back for it (15 minutes later), it was gone and nobody turned it in. The interior was dank and grimey, and the carpet could probably use some replacing. I just don't understand the attraction to this place. I won't be back and would not recommend it to anyone visiting Rhode Island.

• Visited April 2012

Rhode Island
“Delicious!”
Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

I have been to Luke's Inn before, and their golden chicken fingers with crab rangoons and roast pork fried rice is unbelievable. I love it!

1 Thank Jake C
Rhode Island
“More then just Chinese food”
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Shrimp scampi over pasta is unbelievable. And their "Corn Beef and Cabbage" is better then any Irish Pub I've had it at yet! (Sorry Aidan) But you must get there early. Because once its gone thats it. You won't get it until next year...which is why my mom takes orders home that night. LOL. (Literally)

Visited February 2012
Bristol, Rhode Island
“Service with a Smile (not a cliche, , sometimes it makes all the difference)”
Reviewed December 27, 2011

One of the commandments for dining out is always "the food can be exceptional, but if the service substandard, the overall experience is unpleasant." Curiously, the converse is also true. last night I went to Luke's Inn for the first time. The tiny lobby was packed with people waiting for take-out order. Usually, a good sign that the food is good. It is good, not great, but good. My companion and I waited for the host who promptly seated us in a half empty dining room. The interior is drab and poorly lit , a throwback to a previous era when paper umbrellas and Polynesian drinks for 2 were standard fare. Our waiter, Clem, kindly explained that the restaurant was short staffed because some employees had refused to work the day after Xmas. I asked if there would be a problem with service and whether we should return on another day. Clem assured us he would be diligent and began immediately by taking our drink order. The food is typical Cantonese/ Polynesian fare; nothing exceptional. It is freshly prepared and very reasonably priced. Curiously, there are several overt Portuguese touches to the food that reflect the overwhelmingly large Portuguese population e.g kale added to the egg drop soup.

Our waiter brought everything in a timely manner, asked if it was acceptable, and, when asked, made a number of good suggestions as to items on the menu. The table was cleared promptly and courses evenly paced. All in all, a decidedly professional job. Honestly, the food is better than mediocre, but only just so. It is fresh and served hot. It lacks flair and imagination. There's nothing here that's memorable except the service. And because of the outstanding waiter, and in spite of the mediocre food, I would definitely return and recommend it to my friends. On the way out, I told the owner this and she responded with disbelief.

• Visited December 2011
Bristol, Rhode Island
“Everyone loves Luke's!”
Reviewed December 26, 2011

This is probably the most popular Chinese restaurant in the area. Great for both take-out and for eating in the restaurant. The portions are huge, and the prices are reasonable. Love the pork fried rice and crab rangoons! The staff are very friendly, and the drinks are delicious! It's not the most beautiful place (kind of dark), but it has always been clean when I've been there, and the food makes up for it. Also, the parking is slightly awkward, especially when it's busy, so be careful! Overall, I highly recommend Luke's Inn, as it has great food and is a fun place to go with friends!!

• Visited November 2011

Been to Luke's Inn? Share your experiences!