“Overeasy, toasted, crispy bacon and skip the home fries!”
Review of Bluebird Cafe

Bluebird Cafe
Ranked #6 of 73 Restaurants in Wakefield
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Cajun & Creole, Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Waldo, Maine
“Overeasy, toasted, crispy bacon and skip the home fries!”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

The title of this review would be my order if I ever went back to the Bluebird Café for breakfast and was what the rest of our party did order except for the home fries. The latter were red potatoes, that is about all I can say. They really had little taste, little crunch, and were so dark, were not particularly appetizing looking. Unlike the rest of the table, I asked for very soft poached eggs with a well grilled English muffin and sausage. The eggs came very hard, they did redo them and they were better, but. The muffins were more burnt than grilled and were floppy. I hate floppy toast or muffins, they should be crisp and crunchy and all that jazz. Lastly the sausage, was not good, way too much sage in it and the maple syrup that I used on them did not cover the taste at all, actually seemed to be watered down. The rest of my party? They had over easy eggs which they said were perfect, along with crispy toast and bacon. We all agreed the home fries were not good., so hence the title.

• Visited July 2013

Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Its ok”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Been here over the years but losing interest. Pretty plain food huevos rancheros kinda boring tasting like not much. Sort of dim lighting, just a basic brkfst/lunch place with little of the zest that the Mardi Gras posters try to impart. All that said this place is a big improvement over its predecessor a Chinese rest. from the early 90s that used to have a $2.50 all u can eat buffet with apparently a menagerie of controvertial meats deep fried like seagull (harvested from roof traps) and skunk. Plus all the staff lived there too! But thats BEFORE the humble Bluebird.

• Visited December 2012
Rhode Island
“Tasty every time”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We love this place because the atmosphere is refreshingly unpretentious and the food is so darned good.
We have been here for breakfast and lunch and it never fails to please. Among my favorites are the killer biscuits, the likes of which I have only tasted in the south, and the huevos verduros - like huevos rancheros only with veggies instead of eggs.
The soups and stews are also very tasty, always made with care and attention to details like seasoning, which many restaurants in these parts either abuse or ignore. I had a curried soup there recently that I am still daydreaming about.
It's not easy to get a table for breakfast on weekends, because the secret's been out for a while and the place packed - for good reason.

• Visited February 2013
“Great for breakfast”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Many a time I have shown up the the Bluebird salivating for delicious pancakes and GOT THEM! This little cafe serves up good breakfasts at good prices. I obviously am baised toward the pancakes but they also make great omelettes and regularly have specials. They are tucked into the Qio Vadis shopping center across from the Wakefield Post Office so they might be hard to find if you are going there for the first time.

• Visited August 2012
Rhode Island
“Finally made it here for Dinner”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My wife and I have been eating breakfast at the Bluebird Cafe for years. We finally made it to their Friday night Creole Dinner served from 5PM-8:30 PM (oh, and BYOB). They offer a very small dinner menu, which changes each week somewhat. Additionally, you can still order breakfast items. This past Friday night, we had a choice of a Soup, and Four Entrees (A Cafish with Spicy Fries, Jambalaya, A Jalapeno Crusted Cod, and one other item that I can't remember). I ordered the soup to start. It was a gravy-like thick Shrimp with Sour Apple and Maple Bacon. It was hearty, filling and very tasty. For dinner, my wife and I each had the Jambalaya. We each received heaping bowls, of very spicy rice, chicken, sausage, and shrimp. My wife couldn't finish hers (so I got a nice leftover the next day), and I had trouble finishing mine (plus the fact that I had the heavy soup), but I did. We both enjoyed our meals and will return to try other Friday night entrees. I only give 3 ratings out of 5 because the service is a bit lacking. Our server was more interested chatting with the young man at the counter rather than waiting on us. Understandable, however... Btw, my wife and I shared a Pecan pie a la mode that was Outstanding and inexpensive!

• Visited September 2012