“Buffalo Wings and Steamed Mussels”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mews Tavern

Mews Tavern
Ranked #1 of 73 Restaurants in Wakefield
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Asia
“Buffalo Wings and Steamed Mussels”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

This is a restaurant often frequented by students from URI . This is a bar/restaurant that also caters to their parents. When my daughters and I visited Mews, we had their steamed mussels, caesar's salad, buffalo wings and onion soup. Their blue cheese sauce for the buffalo wings was like no other ! The mussels were plump and tender. The only downside, was that the place was a bit too noisy for me, but my daughters loved the ambiance and food. A bit understaffed.

• Visited January 2014

North Kingstown, Rhode Island, United States
“Why fix/change something that isn't broke?”
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

It pains me having to write this review. Mews Tavern had been one of my favorite spots for years. I've seen 2 menu changes and each time it has gone downhill. Unfortunately, this time
I think you've done yourself in. I'm
Not sure why you'd want to change something so good and so popular. Where do I start....

First. You had asked for opinions and suggestions for a new menu. It appears you've ignored many of those suggestions according to what I've seen on Facebook. One thing I mentioned as well as quite a few
Others were that while your wings are amazing, its frustrating not being able to order different amounts. This is a pretty simple thing to do yet you refuse to add it. It's a shame because I believe your wings are the best thing on the menu.

After checking out this new menu, here are my thoughts. It appears that all you really did is remove some very good and popular items and renamed some other ones. Also, you changed quite a few prices on the menu.

So here's our meal breakdown.

To start, we ordered the the bone in wings and the Mozzarella triangles. The wings were great as usual. Meaty, crispy, with a great sauce. Thanks for not changing these. But Why on earth haven't you added more amount options? The triangles were ok. Seemed like a simple mozzarella stick just shaped like a triangle. My complaint is that they seemed undercooked (the middle was still solid, unmelted cheese) but maybe they just cooled off real fast.

For our meals, we ordered the Jerk chicken pizza, the Philly steak sandwich, and a pulled pork sandwich. (Sorry I forget the exact menu item names). The pizza was ok. Seemed like the previous version just a bit smaller which was unfortunate.

The steak sandwich was a basic steak and cheese with onions and peppers on a plain torpedo roll. The onions and peppers were pretty good(after all it's hard to mess up sautéed peppers and onions) but the steak was rather fatty. Not at all worth the $14 they are charging.

The pulled pork sandwich was very disappointing. They used to have an amazing BBQ sauce on this sandwich. (Sweet baby rays I believe). Instead, they now have a weird dr pepper BBQ "sauce". The sandwich advertised a jalapeño type rub on the pork but with the BBQ and massive lump on slaw on the bun, the flavors were very muddy. I'm not too sure what you were going for here but your flavors don't work. I tasted no jalapeño what so ever and the pork was very bland. Also, the portion was much smaller than the previous pulled pork sandwich which was deff a knife and fork type deal. Incredibly disappointing especially considering they've raised the price.

Few other things worth nothing. They've got rid of plates. Now, most of the dishes come served on this cafeteria style metal tray with a brown wax paper. This is just weird. First, the large tray made the food (which was already a smaller portion than what you previously offered) look small. Also the brown paper thing is 1. A waste of paper (aren't you going green?) and 2. A pain if your eating with a fork and knife. If you're eating with utensils, you'll wind up eating a few pieces of paper with your meal.

So here are a few goods to the Mews. Sweet atmosphere. Wether it's the main dining room, the pizza bar, or one of the two pubs, you can't go wrong. THE BEER IS ALWAYS GOOD. Huge selection of great drafts. This will always be a pull.

Before this new menu , Mews was a solid 4 borderline 5 stars. I gave it 2 stars for a few reasons. First, You've dropped some real good items/options from the menu (Gouda burger/pizza just to mention 2). And second, Your prices. Many of the items just got a rename and a new more expensive price. I'd be ok with a price change if the quality of food went up. What's not ok is a price hike, a drop in quality and smaller portions. Truthfully the reason it got 2 not 1 star is because of the Great beer.

I hate to say this but you've lost me as a dinner customer. (I think you're going to lose a bunch of people). I'll still hit up the pub for beer and apps but sadly that won't be as frequent as it used to be.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Trevor W
Westerly, Rhode Island
“Tree room”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

If you are here to drink go upstairs, if you are here to drink and eat go to the tree room. I love this place, the drinks are moderately priced and the food is pretty good. Its not my first choice but I have even come here alone. You guys rule!

Visited December 2013
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
“My home away from home”
Reviewed November 3, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Great selection of beers and great food. Too bad none of my friends who worked there will go in for a drink. Wish the owners treated their staff better. No I have never worked there I promise.

Visited July 2013
Portsmouth, Saint John, Dominica
“Cool Bar/ Restaurant”
Reviewed November 2, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The place was ginomormous!! Kind of seemed like it was smaller,but they expanded bc it was like walking in a maze to get around, but in a great way. Seems like they got areas for all ages. Didn't have a chance to try the food, but great beer selection at affordable price considering where you are!! 2 friends and I had several beverages and tab was like $70 total.. not bad considering what I paid in downtown newport (4 beers = $50)...

Visited October 2013