“Something wrong”

Add it.
Meldgie's Rivers Edge Cafe
Ranked #11 of 74 Restaurants in Wakefield
Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

Went for breakfast, which we have done many times before. We both ordered bacon well done and we received fatty chewy strips, which we both do not like. I ordered Johnny Cakes, which were cold and rubbery. Our server never came back to ask if we would like more coffee. When we left, we stated that 'we are scratching them off our list'. Perhaps we caught a bad day, but that's usually all it takes to lose customers.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

I feel a little guilty about my rating. I gave it an "average" which sounds like damning with faint praise, but I mean it literally. It is neither better nor worse than other similar establishments with similar menus and intents; a local breakfast joint. How do you have a "better than average" fried egg? It's either properly cooked with fresh eggs or it's not.

I LIKE Meldgies, and have since it was the River Edge. You can get a righteous breakfast for not much money, and they have a couple of non-unique but local features like Johnny cakes. It is one of my regular breakfast spots, like the Bluebird, breakfast nook, and occasionally Crazy Burger, which DOES have some innovation in its menu.
If what you crave is a couple of nice fresh eggs, good coffee, maybe a sausage or two served with the speed of light at a reasonable price, you couldn't go wrong.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Local place serving sweet breakfast and lunch throughout the week, and dinner on Friday nights. We visited last Friday night and enjoyed nicely prepared fried calamari with marinara sauce and fresh swordfish (one order grilled with matre d' butter and one Provencale). The food was great and the staff friendly and efficient. Very modest prices, and it's BYOB. Don't expect 'The Tavern on the Green', but it's good cuisine at good prices. We 'townies' love it!

1  Thank Lawrence O