“Disappointed”

Cuisines: Pizza
Wakefield, Rhode Island
“Disappointed”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I persuaded three friends to have dinner here, based on a glowing review in the Providence Journal. What a disappointment. We all had skewers: two lamb and two barbecue beef. Service was slow. One lamb skewer was very tough, the other just OK. The beef skewers were only a tad better. Skimpy entrees for the price. Ambiance was so-so; it was not busy, but can only imagine the noise when the dining room is full and people are picking up take-out.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank RhodyBFL

Chatham, Massachusetts
“Poor service, poor pizza”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I placed a pick up order at Mezzo and was told 1/2 hour which became 45 minutes on a Friday night. The pizza was overcooked, hard and sloppy looking and the taste was like glue...really bad quality and presentation for the money...I will never go there again!!

• Visited June 2013
4 Thank pthahn1
Providence, Rhode Island
“Worst Experience I have ever had in a restaurant.”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

My family and I visited it this establishment on April 27th. We had been hearing raves about how good this place is for weeks and weeks. So tonight we finally decided to give it a try. We arrived around 7pm and the restaurant was crowded but not slammed. We ordered our drinks and our meal. We ordered The chicken on a skewer and the Arugula Proscuitto and Fontina cheese pizza and oh the 9 dollar salad.. The salad was 9 dollars which was crazy. I mean it wasnt bad but it was nothing special. I don't mind paying for something but if it isnt the best quality then forget about it. Okay anyways so the chicken on a skewer arrived and it looked awful and of course it tasted awful. The chicken was all thigh meat and it was fatty and gross. When you picture a chicken kabob you picture nice white meat not gross fatty greasy meat. The pizza arrived and to be honest it was a pound of arugula (not cooked by the way) thrown on top of a pizza shell with some prosciutto thrown on top. Only a little bit of fontina was in the pizza. Then the on top they put a ton of parmesan cheese which made the pizza horribly salty. So we each had about a bite and realized it was not worth eating. I called the waitress over and explained to her what happend. She was very nice but very unexperienced. I asked to speak to the manager she said she would go find him. After a few minutes she walked over and said oh the manager is the chef and he cant come out right now sorry. Then she just stood there looking at us. So then i asked when he would be available she said she would ask. Minutes later she came out with a sticky note asking me to write down my number so the manager could call me tomorrow morning. I was now angry. I asked why would i want the "manager" too call me tomorrow. If the waitress was trained properly she would of just taken the pizza off the check. So now i ask for the owner, she says this is one of the only nights the owner doesnt come in. ON A SATURDAY??! Come on i think that was a lie. So i finally said to the waitress just ask this "manager" who clearly didnt give a crap about anybody in the establishment if he couldnt come out and talk to his guests. It would of taken him 30 seconds. The waitress went off to ask him and then they took the pizza off. It was still 35 DOLLARS with the pizza taken off for 3 people. We had a salad a chicken skewer some soda and 1 glass of wine. The situation was handled terribly and rudely. I will never ever be back. I know many friends and family members who visit here often. I will be letting them know about this and most likely they will not be returning as well.

• Visited April 2013
5 Thank nick1336
Rhode Island
“Hold the salt, please”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We had wanted to try this place for a while, so I made a reservation so we could be sure of getting a table. When we arrived, there was just one table remaining, the worst one right by the entrance to the kitchen with servers and cooks yelling at each other and squeezing by us each time they brought out the food. When I mentioned that I had reserved a table and was hoping for something a little quieter, I was answered with a shrug.
We ordered our pizzas and some wine, which arrived much too warm, almost as though it had been stored next to an oven. We said nothing, because we were waiting for the main event - those yummy wood fired pizzas people were raving about.
The bread and olive oil should have provided us with a clue of what was too come. The bread had a decent crust and good texture, but it was terribly salty, almost as if it had not been mixed properly. The olive oil was also unpleasantly salty for reasons we couldn't figure out.
Our pizzas arrived, and the first bites were so salt laden that we could barely choke them down. We each managed a couple of slices because we were so hungry, but declined to take the leftovers home for obvious reasons.
Throughout our meal, a man who I presume is the owner, kept coming over to the large table next to ours to schmooze with the diners, who seemed to be family and/or friends. Not once did he even glance our way or ask if we were enjoying our dinner. To add insult to injury, a woman came over to the big table to talk with someone, and as she squeezed between our table and theirs, she kept bending down, treating us to a charming and much too close-up view of her butt.
I do have mention our server, however, who was pleasant and competent - the only bright spot in the evening.
The failure to honor or even acknowledge our reservation, the luke warm wine, and the extremely overly salted food may have been exceptions to what may normally be a lovely little restaurant, but we left feeling as though we'd swallowed gallons of sea water, and both of us were up during the night guzzling orange juice and water. I don't think we'll return anytime soon, and I don't think the owner could care less if we do.

• Visited February 2013
8 Thank genevaRhodeIsland
South Kingstown, Rhode Island
“Great Pizza at Pizzeria Mezzo - Wakefield, RI”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My wife and I finally tried Pizzeria Mezzo in Wakefield, not far from the University of RI and the South County beaches. We were not disappointed. We enjoyed a delicious margharita pizza and glasses of chianti after a movie. The pizza is baked in a wood-fired oven in a clean and charming restaurant owned by John Russo, who runs the very successful "Go Pasta" next door, where one can find the best-tasting "take out" or catered prepared Italian food. The kitchen and service staff went about their work with a friendly, pleasant but efficient and professional demeanor--despite the absence of the owner on a Sunday evening. Prices are reasonable and the quality outstanding. We are frequent customers of the catering operation next door, and plan to make the pizza and barbecue restaurant a frequent stop as well.

• Visited January 2013