“A hot but wonderful evening”
Review of Theatre By the Sea

Theatre By the Sea
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Wakefield
Reviewed September 9, 2012

The Theatre itself was a wonder. A beautiful old place, beautifully restored. The staff were all curteous and very helpful. The show...what can I say, the singing...the dancing....staging....were a pleasure to behold. I love Broadway but love even more small local theatres. Wherever we go we look for them and this one rates right up there - very, very enjoyable. We laughed and enjoyed every minute - until we had to leave. It was hot for Sept but we sat by a door. There is no a/c but that's ok. They could use a large exhaust fan or two to draw out some of the hot air in the summer. Maybe up in the very high ceiling. We would love to go back when next we go exploring in that area. A must do!

Reviewed September 1, 2012

We have gone here for years. It is i large post and beam barn with an intimate atmosphere. My son and I enjoy the summer series for children that they run on Fridays for $10 a ticket. We love the balcony and try to get a seat in front. The larger productions are usually professional and highly enjoyable. They also run a theater camp for kids in the summer. There is a restaurant on premises that could almost be missed nestled into their gardens which I have heard is quite good.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

This was our third trip to Theater By The Sea a place where you can see professionally produced Broadway Musicals. Each year for the past 3 years we go with another couple to see a performance at Theater By The Sea in Matunuck R.I. It is amazing that this historical site was once a barn and now a theater on beautiful grounds celebrating it's 79th birthday. It has survived many troubling times including a close call for scheduled demolition in 1967. This year we saw "9 to 5" The Musical, a great performance. It is amazing that such a performance is put on in an old converted barn with great seating including a small a balcony, no AC with just an ocean breeze and a few overhead fans, but a great atmosphere. The performance was very well presented, the sets, acting and music for a fabulous show put on by mostly local talent.. Theater By The Sea is now part of Ocean State Theater Company (OSTC) and now is offering performances through the year at a location in Warwick R.I. If you live in Rhode Island or you are visiting I highly reccommend Theater By The Sea. We will definitly plan on going to OSTC in Warwick.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

I like the atmosphere of the theater... very "beachy", dressy, but not required. The outdoor bar area is great fun. Try to sit by an exterior if the weather is very hot, because there is no A/C. The shows they put on are almost ALWAYS great. I have only eaten in the restaurant once or twice... a bit pricey for dining.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

The first time I ever saw a play was here, a friend treated me. I loved it! Have been back here many times and is always a treat. Not only is the acting good and the plays, etc, well chosen, the setting is fantastic. Right near the ocean, hearing the waves rolls in during intermission, the sea breezes. If you have never been here, do give yourself a treat and try this little local threatre.