“A Tiverton Destination”

Cuisines: American
Little Compton, Rhode Island
“A Tiverton Destination”
Reviewed May 5, 2012

Gray's Ice Cream has been a part of my life since I was a little girl. We would often make a stop there on our way back from collecting periwinkles at Sakonnet Point with my grandmother, and Gray's was a highlight of the day! Fast forward to today, and Gray's is still the punctuation mark at the end of a summer day for many people, as evidenced by the crowded parking lot and long lines at the take-out windows in the summertime around 6-7 PM. Voted best ice cream in Rhode Island on several occasions, Gray's strives to keep its legend alive. Located in the heart of Tiverton Four Corners, it still remains a beacon to beachgoers, ball players, boaters and tourists alike. There is a convenience store inside, but the biggest draw, obviously, is the ice cream. The flavor choices are extensive, and the homemade waffle cones and cups are scrumptious and well worth the diet cheating and consequent guilt! I must add, as a long-time patron of the store, that since Gray's sold its recipe rights to a large conglomerate in order to facilitate their volume, the quality of the ice cream has declined over the years. There was a time when all the ice cream was made on-site, and it was even more extraordinary! Don't let that discourage you, however, because Gray's is still one of the best around! The kids will love the big cows grazing in the paddock on the grounds, and there are plenty of shade trees to sit under, while savoring the flavors of Gray's Ice Cream. It's very telling that I now treat my little grandchildren to Gray's when they come to visit, much as my grandmother treated me not so many years ago!

Visited September 2011

St. Augustine, Florida
“One of the top five Ice Cream Icons in New England”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Just the drive out there is worth the trip. I am from New England and have visited many ice cream stands in my day. I first visited Gray's when I was 10 with my family in our Chevy with running boards. It became "the place" in my teens and when in the area I still drive out for a taste. It still has the best ice cream in the area and still has the charm of old. What else can one say, it's the BEST.

• Visited September 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
“Homemade Treats!”
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Grays is a must when visitng LC - its open year round, 365 days of the year and a great spot to grab a tasty treat on your way out of Town. My personal favorites are Oreo, Pumpkin (during the holidays) and coconut!

Visited September 2011
Athens, Georgia
“Is it my age or their quality?”
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Gray's Ice Cream has always held an exalted place in my fondest food memories. I have traveled the globe and lived in Cambridge at the height of the Steve Herrell days and never found an ice cream cone better than the Gray's orange pineapple ice cream. The only time I even found anything close to that quality and flavor was in Saugatuck MI. Whenever I am in the area, I visit Gray's to re-experience that flavor; I never deviate from orange pineapple. This year, I brought my 5 year old and she ordered strawberry, of all things. I tasted hers and it was awful -- a strong artificial strawberry taste -- inedible. That taste threw my own enjoyment of orange pineapple into a tailspin -- does it taste artificial?? I have been rocked to the core - although I still did enjoy my cone!

• Visited August 2011
Portland, Maine
“My family's favorite ice cream”
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Gray's was my great-grandfather's favorite ice cream stand, and it's mine too. It's a family tradition. He liked the rum raisin best, while his daughter loved frozen pudding. My mother gets the grapenut, but my favorite is peppermint stick...then peanut butter, then pistachio, then coffee, then rum raisin, then butterscotch. One of my great aunts, who'd be 111 if she were still alive, also loved the rum raisin. The ice cream at Gray's is so good that we remember family members' favorite flavors dating back 60 and even 80 years! I don't know how better to recommend it.

• Visited August 2010