“Great little place!”
Review of The Kings' Rose

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Kingstown
The Kings' Rose
Reviewed May 22, 2010

My wife & I (both natives of Pittsburgh, PA) needed a place to stay with our pup. This place is VERY charming and accommodating. However, we would not recommend this to anyone on a business trip; if you're in a hurry looking and for prompt service look elsewhere. But if you're in the area and need a great, cozy place to stay, The King's Rose is truly wonderful; we highly recommend it. Very reasonably priced, too. We loved it so much we're going back again next month (with our pup, of course)! : )

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MahrsMusic
There are newer reviews for The Kings' Rose

Reviewed July 23, 2009

Kings Rose has the potential to be a lot better than it is: it is a charming old house (inn?) and the surrounding garden is attractive.

The hostess was nowhere to be seen when I arrived and I had to yoohoo around for quite a while before she appeared. I asked for directions to The Towers in Narragansett and it took far too long to produce them, and even then they were not accurate or complete. I had a feeling she couldn't be bothered.

The foul odor when one enters the house is a huge problem, and if I hadn't been so pressed for time I would have looked for another place to stay. The room was comfortable, as was the bed, but the A/C could not be regulated, and blew over the bed all night, giving me a restless night's sleep.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank williambronx
Reviewed December 19, 2008

I wasn't moved to post my middling response to this place until they just ran through the charge 4 months after we'd stayed there. of course I wasn't expecting it and now my account balance is below the required amount, meaning that in addition to $200 for a single night of eerie quiet in an attractive Victorian, and a passable breakfast with not a lick of hospitability, 5 more bucks go to my bank.

anyway, while I'm here, my four-month-old complaints: the nighttime fun we had in narragansett was happenstance and hardly due to the recommendations of the one innkeeper we ever saw--because she gave us no recommendations. not good. the rooms, however, were tremendously charming, our bathroom and bathrobes capacious and warm.

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed December 17, 2008

1. Hostile, cold, downright surly service. Poor in the extreme. When we arrived we were taken the farthest room located at the top of the stairs with a two hard, twin beds and shared bathroom. Why we were offered a room with two separate beds despite being clearly a couple, I don't understand. Why we weren't offered other rooms despite the house being more than half vacant (and passing other more desirable rooms) - beats me.

2. **There was dog feces on the floor in the room**. I would have documented this with a photo if the owner hadn't then *picked up the feces with her hand*. She didn't bat an eye, nor offered to change rooms. We had to request it.

3. From the moment we arrived, our hostess was downright surly. Not a single "thank you", "please" or pleasantry. Not even an apology for our unpleasant discovery (see above).

4. Tonight, nearly 6 months *after* our stay, we discover a $250 charge to our credit card from the b&b.

We stayed here at the recommendation of a faculty at URI. She had never stayed here before, and I doubt she will ever recommend another there.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank blithely
Reviewed March 5, 2008

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this well kept B&B. Old style New England house with modern facilities and appropriate hospitality.
The owner has three cute dogs.
.......and the bedtime sherry in each bedroom doesn't hurt a bit.

Reviewed August 26, 2007

barking dogs emanating at all hours from the owners' residence, overwhelming musty odor everywhere , neglected, unwelcoming gardens which had been highlighted on their website, disappearing innkeepers (never saw perry viles once in the two days we were there), waiting over an hour for breakfast... what a complete waste of our time and money... we normally enjoy staying in this kind of inn but not this time.. clearly the owners have other things on their minds and should hand over the reins to someone else.... yuk!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank tenorsax
Reviewed July 24, 2005

My wife and I were primed to partake of a nice July 2005 weekend in New England, in what we thought would be a lovely inn. I had not found reviews of the inn, but it came recommended from a telephone call to the local tourism registry. The inn is within a 1/2 mile of the University of Rhode Island, on RI route 138, near the intersection with RI route 108. Our room rate was $150/night, plus a healthy tax, for a room with private bath, window A/C and double bed.

Negatives: The innkeepers, Barbara and Perry Viles, seemed ill suited, or perhaps burned out, on the job. Having stayed at many other B&Bs throughout New England and the Middle Atlantic states over the past thirty years, we are used to warm, effusive, helpful innkeepers that seem to welcome you into their homes--kind of like staying at the beautiful home of a warm friend. Not the case here. Perry is more the public face of the inn, because Barbara seems disinclined to interact with guests. Perry is also fairly reserved, and trying to stimulate conversation was a chore. Within earshot, he complained often about other, unseen guests. It is very clear by posted "private" signs, and the general daily scareness of the innkeepers, that there is not much desire for a lot of interaction with the guests. Recommendations for places to go needed to be pried from them, and directions, when given, were often wrong. Local events within a few miles of the inn were not well known, and they seemed woefully unaware of their surroundings. They had not visited a pottery place listed as a recommendation on their web site, located within a couple of miles, in years.
If the innkeepers were the worst of the stay, that might be tolerable. However, this visually lovely inn was overwhelmed by an almost intolerable odor on the main level--which I believe was from cat urine. This July weekend had temperatures in the 90s, and the smell was overwhelming from the time one walked in the front door. Barbara feeds stray cats outside near the garden entrance--and this was probably the origination of the very strong odor. Only when one climbed to the 2nd floor, did the odor start to dissappate.
Upper floors were very hot, and the small, single window A/C unit in the room was hard pressed to keep up with the heat. Rooms lacked some amenities: lotion, nice bar soap.
Breakfast is served from 7:15AM to 8:45AM in the formal dining room, though that seemed a tad early for weekend sleepers. Made to order eggs or oatmeal were main offerings, though nothing special.

Positives: Nice decor. Very easily accessible location right on Rte. 138 in South Kingston--the main access road to Newport, and a 15 minute drive to state beaches.

Overall: This inn needs a thorough professional cleaning to remove the offensive odor. High summer temperatures exacerbates the problem. The innkeepers might want to consider retiring and turning this high potential inn over to owners who want to be there.

13  Thank TUPF
#5 of 8 in Narragansett
Sheppard's Campus B&B
Sheppard's Campus B&B
#2 of 2 in Kingston

Been to The Kings' Rose? Share your experiences!