“Great Place to Stay!”
Review of The Kings' Rose

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Kingstown
The Kings' Rose
Avon, CT
“Great Place to Stay!”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed at The King's Rose almost a year ago with our Standard Poodle and really enjoyed our stay very much. I meant to write a review shortly after our stay, but "life got in the way" and it took me till now to get to it. However, I think that helps to make the point to let folks who rely on reviews know that this place was worth posting a review, even a year late! Barbara was a great, a friendly and very accommodating innkeeper. The grounds at the Inn are beautiful and promote relaxation. The house and rooms were immaculate and we thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast Barbara cooked for us in the morning. We would definitely stay there again without question. Thank you, Barbara.

Room Tip: The only reason I checked "very good" for sleep quality instead of excellent was that our...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peggy C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Albany, NY
Reviewed September 19, 2011

While on a visit to my daughter, who is a student at URI, I called around on a Sunday afternoon to find a place to stay. Barbara, the innkeeper, asked if I'd mind giving her 20 minutes to make up a room, which sounded very reasonable. I found the keys to my room waiting when I arrived. Barbara came upstairs with me at my request to show me around and offered me a glass of wine. I had room #3 which was cozy, with a very soft bed that I thoroughly enjoyed. The weather was cool, so A/C was not needed. In the morning, the two other guests and I wanted to meet the household dogs, so they were allowed into the dining room and were well-mannered Corgis. It was a nice homelike touch for me. Breakfast, cooked to order, was pancakes, with eggs, oatmeal and French toast also offered. After stepping out for an hour, I returned at 11:30 AM, and asked if Barbara would consider letting me stay another hour for a nap before driving home. She said, very graciously, "Please take your time, no one else is using the room later." I really appreciated this, as I certainly would have understood if she wanted to keep to the prearranged checkout, and stayed longer for a much-needed rest. We had a very pleasant chat, having shared career interests. I would gladly recommend this inn to my friends, and of special note is that cats can be accommodated, not always an easy thing to arrange. My only negative is that there aren't any rooms on the first floor, which I would prefer, having some difficulty with stairs, but the many positives and very reasonable price more than made up for that.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank drmarla
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 2, 2011

It looked a bit creepy when we pulled to the parking lot at 10 PM, my husband even mentioned that's how most of American horror movies begin :-) , but we were pleasantly surprised. Old fashion decor, beautiful garden, very friendly owner. Definitely will stay there again if we happen to be in the area. A bit too hot downstairs, there is no AC on the first floor, but rooms upstairs are fine.

Room Tip: took room 1 and 2 - both great. #1 has 2 rooms. Clean, both have some nice books for you to read.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank lostcatnyc
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 24, 2010

We stayed 5 nights and 2 nights as our daughter is an International Exchange student at URI. Having read reviews of 2008 I don't know why they were so hostile. We found Barbara to be chatty and accessable at all times (They must have missed seeing the doorbell on her door) And breakfast was a treat and always prompt, at the time we wanted it and certainly filling, setting us up for the day. She was soooo accomodating with our check in times (midnight the 1st time) We have rated her as excellent as it was such a clean and comfortable B&B (no bad aromas at all). You wouldn't realise it but she does everything herself, so we were very impressed with everything. The corgis were so friendly and adoring and not noisy at all. Our only slight problem was a squeaky bed so you know what wasn't on the menu! (be warned if you're in room No. 2)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ajacks53
hudson valley, new york
Reviewed August 8, 2010

My husband, myself and my adult daughter were looking for a place to stay for two nights, near to the beaches and Newport and Narragansett. I happened on this place after making several attempts at finding a place to no avail. We found Barbara, the innkeeper to be a very pleasant and intelligent person, very willing to please. The Inn was a lovely old house with some public spaces and very nice bedrooms and bathrooms. Everything was clean and attractive. Breakfast was very nice..french toast, eggs, any way you like them, fruit , sausage, bacon...oatmeal. What more could you want? Having lost her husband a few years ago Barbara, run s the place by herself. She does a good job. She is not a gregarious type..but certainly friendly..and very helpful.The place, the gardens etc. take a lot of maintenance and one could clearly see she is doing the best she can to keep it all going. The gardens would take a full time person to properly maintain. They are just lovely as they are...sort of a secret garden with a small pond and running water with a rose arbor and benches....lovely and peaceful. There was a slight odor of cats downstairs...we did not find this so terribly offensive as did the other poster. The prices were more than fair, a bargain actually and the place lovely, comfortable and well located. The innkeeper very bright and attentive. What more could you ask....go!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank coldshy
Pittsburgh
Reviewed May 22, 2010

My wife & I (both natives of Pittsburgh, PA) needed a place to stay with our pup. This place is VERY charming and accommodating. However, we would not recommend this to anyone on a business trip; if you're in a hurry looking and for prompt service look elsewhere. But if you're in the area and need a great, cozy place to stay, The King's Rose is truly wonderful; we highly recommend it. Very reasonably priced, too. We loved it so much we're going back again next month (with our pup, of course)! : )

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MahrsMusic
New York
Reviewed July 23, 2009

Kings Rose has the potential to be a lot better than it is: it is a charming old house (inn?) and the surrounding garden is attractive.

The hostess was nowhere to be seen when I arrived and I had to yoohoo around for quite a while before she appeared. I asked for directions to The Towers in Narragansett and it took far too long to produce them, and even then they were not accurate or complete. I had a feeling she couldn't be bothered.

The foul odor when one enters the house is a huge problem, and if I hadn't been so pressed for time I would have looked for another place to stay. The room was comfortable, as was the bed, but the A/C could not be regulated, and blew over the bed all night, giving me a restless night's sleep.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
#7 of 8 in Narragansett
Sheppard's Campus B&B
Sheppard's Campus B&B
#2 of 2 in Kingston

Been to The Kings' Rose? Share your experiences!