“Go for breakfast and chowder; dockside view; avoid the pancakes”

Jim's Dock Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Seasonal restaurant on the water.
“Go for breakfast and chowder; dockside view; avoid the pancakes”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We have mostly visited Jim's dock for breakfast, which is generally very good -- muffins, cooked egg dishes, etc.are worth ordering Coffee is average, but acceptable. The harbor view, inside and out on the deck, is nice.

The pancakes were a real disappointment -- very thick, and as dry as bread. Even worse: they refrigerate the maple syrup - what's wrong with this picture, when you are putting cold syrup on hot pancakes? Maybe if you drown the pancakes in some concoction like the chunky monkey version they are okay, but the purists who don't tamper with what should be decent pancakes will revolt. If you want dessert, order dessert.

We've been here occasionally for chowder, and the broth-based Rhode Island style is good, as are the clam cakes. Given the prices, we prefer some paces on the other side of the harbor in Galilea for better dinner options, but this place has BYOB. The parking is also easier on the other side of the harbor.

So I'm sure we'll be back for a muffin and sea air, but there is room for improvement.

• Visited August 2013

Portland, Oregon
“Go for breakfast!”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is a great breakfast spot. Always ask for the pancake special and if it is Chunky Monkey you are in luck. Yum. The setting is pure New England summer. Lunch and dinner is a lot of deep fried and a bit overpriced. Go for breakfast.

• Visited August 2013
Middletown, New York
“WILL NOT RETURN”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I went here with my family, there was a total of 8 for lunch. We chose to eat outside. First let me start out by saying the table itself smelled like vomit. I'm thinking they use the same dirty rag and never wash to clean the tables with. The smell alone almost made us walk out but we were starving. Next, the service was slower then slow and it was not busy. There was a total of 3 tables outside and it seemed the wait staff out numbered guests. I would think that the help in this case would be better but no such luck.

The lobster roll two of us ordered was just mediocre. I had better off a food truck a few days prior. The chicken sandwich special some of them had was just "OK" as they put it nothing spectacular. The burgers were better at home. The chowder I had was not good at all. Where were the actual clams???The waitress was hard to ask for a refill, couldn't make change of the money we gave her and asking for food to go seemed to blow her mind. I would not hire her back if I was the owner.

I don't have too much to say positive in way of the food. The outside is on a dock which has potential for being cool but it wasn't working with the food and staff.

To the owner, this place has potential but get some new recipes or cooking staff and hire a new wait staff or at least make sure making change on a bill is not extremely difficult for them.

Visited July 2013
South Kingstown, Rhode Island
“Very much enjoyed our experience.”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I really enjoyed our meal. He ordered the salmon burger, I had the whole belly fried clams and we shared a cup of chowder. For our dining experience everything was fresh, hot and served by a pleasant young lady.

I am not sure why some have complained about the cost of the food. Fresh seafood is not inexpensive. I think people might mistakenly think casual and out doors equals less expensive, but that is not the case with fresh seafood, even in our lovely fishing villages. A cup of chowder was $5, not cheap, but well within the normal range. And what would you pay at a more upscale place? Far more than $5, that's for sure. My clams were about $20, which is about what I expected, cost was less than many places. The salmon burger, served with fries was less than $15, and like I said, everything was fresh and hot. If seafood does not taste fresh don't eat it, send it back and tell them why. No one deliberately serves bad food, and I would hope the owners want to know.

We live in the area so perhaps we understand the seafood pricing and what is "in season" in our local waters. However, you certainly save because it is a BYOB.

There is no question parking near the restaurant is difficult. The parking lot is double wide so cars in the front do get blocked in, but the waitstaff go around with the registration number and the people blocking move their car. To avoid this we parked around the corner, about a minute walk away.

We will go back again. I love the ocean side atmosphere at Jim's.

• Visited July 2013
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Poor service, food overpriced and overrated”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I visited this restaurant with my family last weekend while visiting RI, and was told this place was "the best." The restaurant was crowded, but not packed. Parking is very limited, and we had difficulty finding a place to park. After waiting 30 minutes for a table, we were seated, but waited 15 more minutes before our waitress came by to acknowledge our presence. The food was pricey -- one gets the impression that you're really paying for the reputation and view (the waterfront location was very nice, and outside seating is beautiful on a nice afternoon -- that's what salvaged this trip for us). Even after we our food arrived we had to wait several more minutes for our silverware to be delivered. The food was ok, but not exceptional. We might have just had a new waitress, so I think it's worth trying this place, if you're looking for a casual atmosphere, decent food, and a great waterfront location. This is a BYOB restaurant, which didn't impact us, since we weren't drinking, but apparently their ok with bringing your own bottle of wine.

• Visited July 2013