“Not Worth the Trip”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 20, 2013

My family ate here last night and I was less than impressed. First of all, it's very casual dining with 5-star dining prices. If I'm paying that kind of money, I want more ambiance. The napkins are paper which don't last very long when you are eating things like steamed clams. Really, they should provide cloth napkins to elevate the entire atmosphere or at the very least a stack of paper napkins. My napkin was in useless shreds well before the end of the meal. Additionally, as we moved from appetizers to the main meal, they didn't replace our silverware and we had to re-use what we had been given. Not a deal breaker but, again, for these kind of prices they should bump up the level of service in this area.

We ordered steamed clams which were good but not great. My son ordered grilled oysters and he said they were very good. My husband really enjoyed his clam chowder. I also ordered the Caesar salad (my "test" salad to determine the caliber of a restaurant) and I was very disappointed at how little flavor the salad dressing had.

My main meal was swordfish which was excellent. However, the squash that came with it was undercooked and was tough and hard to chew. The fingerling potatoes had been baked with NO SEASONING whatsoever. They were awful! The cook obviously needs to hone his/her skills with vegetables. My husband enjoyed his linguine and clams and declared it to be the best linguine & clams he's ever had that come with a WHITE sauce. The clams casino that my son ordered came with a generous amount of clams mixed in with the stuffing. So the review by family is mixed.

My feeling is that this restaurant might be worth a visit for lunch or appetizers if you're in the area. I definitely don't think it's good enough to warrant a special drive.

3  Thank oceanjuli

Reviewed October 16, 2013

We live close by and and watched as this former clam shack evolved into a first class year round seafood restaurant. Excellent, fresh seafood (the oysters are delivered from a nearby pond) and a superb location on the salt pond outlet. Big problem in the summer - too popular, meaning long waits and valet parking. But off season the crowds slim down and it's hard to beat.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and i had heard great things about the matunuck oster bar and decided to wait until after labor day to give it a try.We went for lunch on a beautiful sunday in september.We were a bit surprised that they had vallet parking but it worked out fine.Checking in with the hostess we were told we would have a 15 minute wait for outside and no wait for inside.We knew we wanted to sit outside and enjoy the views and the wait was actually less than 15 minutes.There is a cool outside bar so waiting with a cocktail wouldn't have been an issue for us.The seating outside was a bit cramped but fine.The wine menu is extensive,one whole side of the menu.We both opted for clam chowder to start.I have to say it was the best chowder i have ever had.The clams were plentiful and so tender.I ordered pan seared sea scallops on a fresh corn and tomato salsa with red mashed potatoes.My husband had a whole belly clam roll which came with fresh cut fries.Our food arrived quickly and it looked fabulous.My scallops were cooked to perfection and the corn&tomato salad was so fresh and delicious.My husbands clams were lightly battered and the portion was large.Wonderful local food,beautiful setting and great service.If your in the area ,matunuck oster b!ar is a must

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Pull up front and the professional valets park your car in a lot that is packed with cars belonging to people that know they are getting a good meal. Walk into the fenced in area and pull up a bar stool at the bar or sit at a picnic table and be prepared to eat....you like lobster rolls???? Well they have them, hot or cold, yummy !!!! I love raw bar and this place has the freshest clams and oysters around, ice cold with all the delicious sauces/fixings. The oysters are grown right there in town, cant get any fresher. The place gets very busy so arrive early or wait in line. Loved it !!!!

Reviewed October 13, 2013

A truly outstanding fresh oyster, clams, mussels and scallops experience prior to beautiful fish main courses. Half an hour from Newport . You must not miss but have to reserve.