“Best Food in South County”

Matunuck Oyster Bar
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Never had a less than fabulous meal here. Small and loud but in warmer months outdoor seating is great. Seared scallops are to die for. All fish and shellfish is locally caught and you can taste the freshness.
Open 7 days all year round, which is great for locals who have to put up with lots of seasonal restaurant closures. The only drawback is they don't accept reservations and the place is slammed in the summer. Also the indoor seating area can get loud when it's busy since it's a small space, but the small size is part of the key to why everything tastes sooo good here.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,154)

Reviewed June 12, 2011

On our way home to Connecticut from the Cape, my partner and I got off the highway (95) in Kingston to get gas. It was lunch time, so we used our iPhone to check for restaurants in the area. We had a hankering for fish and Matunuck Oyster Bar popped up as 17 miles away and close to the water. We felt adventurous, so went for the 30 minutes drive and WOW, were we surprised.

We sat outside on a nice patio, very quiet overlooking the salt beds of South Kingston. Lots of wild birds and activity -- such a peaceful place.

The waitress brought over the most delicious WARM salted rolls with a olive oil and herb dipping sauce. We started with the special of 1 1/2 lbs of steamers and fresh butter. The steamers were melt-in-your mouth, sweet and oh, so delicious. I also had the special white wine of the day, the perfect paring with the steamers. For a main course, I had the goat cheese and beet salad over fresh greens and added fried oysters. I felt like I died and went to heaven! The oysters were fried in a light batter and came with a savory dipping sauce -- they just melted in my mouth. My partner had fried po-boy oyster sandwich and was offered a salad to replace fries. Both meals had generous helping of fried oysters, and the greens in the salads were superior quality.

After lunch we took a short drive to Matunuck Beach before heading back to the highway. It was the perfect Sunday afternoon detour.

Reviewed June 8, 2011

Just off Rte 1A between Charlestown and Narragansett, Matunuck was a pleasant surprise. It's inside dining room was immaculate, service great, the owner stopped by our table to make sure we were satisfied (we definitely were) and it's a place we will stop at again. Situated on an inlet, there are plenty of outdoor picnic tables should that be your seating preference for lunch or dinner.
In addition to the regular menu featuring a dozen varieties of oysters and clams, appetizers, spoups, salads and entrees, they have a small menu with the daily specials. I opted for one, the Shore Dinner ($17.95) consisting of a homemade stuffie, delightful fried Tautog (a black fish with a texture and color similar to haddock) and fried clams. All were great and I'd put the clams up against any CT, RI or MA seafood shack or restaurant. From the regular menu my wife had Seared Scallops over a lemon zest and caper risotto with grilled asparagus ($20.95) and my sister chowder and cherrystones. By the smiles on other diners' faces and looks of the plates, I'd say you cannot go wong with any choice.
Matunuck has over 30 wine selections, all available by the glass or bottle. Prices per glass range from $5.95 to $11.95 and $22.95 to $71.95. Six draft and 15 bottle beers are also available.
The sign out front mentions Oyster Tours. That evening a group of 20 had just returned from their educational tour in the oyster beds. After their dinner the owner had them all come up to the oyster bar and conducted a game show type quiz with prizes. They all had much fun as did we with the excellent meal, great service and reasonable prices.

Reviewed May 12, 2011

We had an outstanding dinner here. The food was really superb and also was the atmosphere. We came twice (once for drinks and a plate of oysters and once for dinnner) on our short 3 day vacation and we really enjoyed the fresh local seafood and the nice and romantic seating by a seawater pond. We will certainly be back some time.

Reviewed March 22, 2011

DH and I met friends here for an amazing dinner. Seafood was incredibly fresh and well-prepared. Sides were good too. New to oysters and the staff was helpful in selecting beginners and helping me figure out how to eat them. We got there at 7pm on an absolutely freezing night and had over an hour wait. You can stand at the bar for drinks and oysters while you wait if you can get a spot. We were crammed in like sardines, though! I imagine it would be a lot better in summer when you can hang out on the outside patio. Hope we get to find out soon!