“Average Stay for an Average Holiday Inn”

Holiday Inn South Kingstown
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in South Kingstown
Connecticut
“Average Stay for an Average Holiday Inn”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

The hotel itself was average, however the staff were VERY HELPFUL and VERY FRIENDLY!!! From the location you are only 10 minutes to Nantucket, 15 minutes to the Block Island Ferry, and 20 minutes to Newport. The Hotel booking offers a breakfast coupon of $20.00 a day off their Breakfast, however the Hotel will inform you that the restaurant is not owner or operated by Holiday Inn. That being said the breakfast is not worth it, we tried it one morning, and in fact one of the other days they did not even open and left many people having to look elsewhere. Go out to one of the establishments in the area, or the Dunkin Donuts right next door.

I can not say enough good thing about the staff as I listed above excellent, best part of the stay.

Room Tip: The hallways on the first floor have an over the top new paint smell The hotel is a bit dated, but...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
sknri, General Manager at Holiday Inn South Kingstown, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay while at our hotel. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Doug Brady

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Queens, NY
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My family and two other families stayed here for 3 nights while visting Mystic and Newport. The location of this hotel is excellent and it's close to all the area attractions: 40 mins to Mystic, 30 mins to Foxwoods Casino, 30 mins to Newport and a few min drive to various beaches and restaruants in the Town of Narragansett.

We checked in at around 4PM, the girl at the front desk was very pleasant and efficient. I made two separate reservations for 3 rooms, and asked to transfer one of the room to my friend's credit card, and she did it quickly and was very pleasant. All our rooms were ready when we arrived, room types were exactly as requested and they were next to each other. Marvelous job! Considered the hotel was fully booked when we were there.

The room and the bathroom were clean, the shower and the toilet worked well. The free WiFi was fast. The only complaint I have was the TV, it's still the old CRT type, not a HD LED flatscreen, I was planning to connect the TV to my iPad, so the kids can watch some movies, a bit disappointed. I guess the hotel pool compensated for the disappointment, the kids had a great time there, it had an 8-foot deep end.

If it's not the TV, I would give it a 5 star. This hotel definitely cost less than the hotels in Newport. Will stay here again.

Room Tip: There is a Dunkins Donut near it if you need an early morning coffee
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to let us know that you had enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We are always glad to hear that we were able to meet your expectations.
Clifton Park, NY
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I stayed here while visiting friends in Newport (8/2/12). I didn't really do anything near this hotel other than visit the Dunkin Donuts next door. It is conveniently located right off the highway and it only took about 20 minutes or so to get to Newport. Also positive is that the room was very clean. I got about $25 off the listed price through Priceline.com. My needs for the night were for a clean room that was close to my friends and that's what I got. As others have mentioned, the hotel is set up kind of strange in that you check in at the front desk, then walk down a long hallway to the back of the hotel where the elevator is. This wasn't a big issue for me but it might have been for people not able to walk very far or who had to carry a lot of luggage. My room, 202, was just above where the check in was so I had to walk down the hall on the first floor, go up the elevator and back up the long hall once upstairs. This is something to consider if you would be bothered by the walk. The bathroom (again nice and clean..the most important part!) had Bath and Body Works products which was a nice upgrade from typical lower end hotel amenities. One odd thing was that there were 3 people partying out in the pool when I got to the room at 11pm. I thought that was strange but didn't care enough to call the front desk. At 12:45am I woke up cold and went to turn down the A/C. I looked out and the threesome were just getting out of the pool, one was naked. They jumped the fence (which of course was locked at this time of night) and came inside the building and I could hear them walk down the hall on my floor. In hindsight I should have called the front desk to give them a head's up. There were children staying in the building who could have seen this but hopefully they were all asleep. It did make me wonder if there is a camera back on the pool area that is monitored because obbiously the front desk staff did not kick them out of the pool area when they were out there well past midnight.
The staff at check in and check out were friendly and professional.
The continental breakfast was extremely limited. Two cereal choices, yogurt, juice and milk.
I know my review seems quite mixed but you have to make your decision to stay here based on your needs. It was adequate for my needs that evening and I would stay here again if in a similar situation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank SunnyD518
sknri, General Manager at Holiday Inn South Kingstown, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we met your expectations. We hope you enjoyed your time with your friends and look forwards to you staying again at the Holiday Inn.

Hartford, CT
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I booked this hotel on Priceline and got an excellent price for a Thursday night in August--tough to find in greater Newport! The facility is quite new, immaculately maintained, and has a substantial outdoor pool.

This hotel set a new record for fast check-in, it seemed like I had my keys and was on my way to my room within a minute of walking through the door.

The reason I give this hotel a top score (it's only a Holiday Inn express, after all) is that they offer great, generous hospitality and don't try to chisel you for extras. The free wireless internet is one of the fastest I've ever encountered in a hotel. They don't advertise comlimentary breakfast, but guess what's waiting for you in the lobby in the morning? Packaged cereal bowls, milk, coffee, local newspapers. I encountered a last-minute need to print something out, so I used the business center in the lobby. Cost for printing 6 pages? $0.00.

You drive right past this hotel on the way to Newport from CT/NY, it's right near the Jamestown bridge. Excellent access to Narragansett, Jamestown, and Newport. I've stayed in similar accommodations in Newport and Middletown, this one is nicer and a better value. Subway, DD, restaurants, pharmacy, plenty of parking right next to the hotel

I asked for late checkout but they were unable to provide it, saying they were sold out for Friday evening. No hard feelings, they really had already gone above and beyond to provide an excellent hotel experience.

Room Tip: The elevator is at the opposite end of the building from the lobby--strange. I was happy because I...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
It is always wonderful to hear that we were able to meet and surpass your expectations while staying at our Holiday Inn. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
New York
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We had a nice time staying at the Holiday Inn. The room was clean, the air conditioner and TV worked great, the staff was friendly and helpful, the pool was terrific and the curtains made the room dark enough so we could sleep late. The restaurant served a great dinner - a little pricey, but everything was delicious. The breakfast wasn't so great, but convenient. One thing we desperately missed was that there was no refrigerator in our room. You could rent one for $15 a day, but we did not want to spend the extra money. The fitness center was small, but decent enough. The room lacked a safe to secure our valuables, so we carried them around with us. There were no "freebies" that other hotels have - like complimentary cookies in the afternoon, etc.
Those little touches make hotels extra special.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
We certainly appreciate you taking time to let us know your stay was wonderful. I hope you were able to enjoy our beaches and local great food.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed in this hotel as a last resort since we could not find another last minute hotel. The place smelled of cigarette smoke and was extremely run down. I would have rather camped than spent the night in this hotel. Disgusting.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hama12
sknri, General Manager at Holiday Inn South Kingstown, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your comments and concerns. The smoking room that you stayed in will be reviewed and see how to best to reduce the smoke smell.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and the principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to each at a reasonable price. Consequently, it’s disappointing to learn you’re unhappy with the hotel. Be assured that the comments regarding the smoking room will be addressed to try to prevent any issues from happening in the future.

Doug

Travelers are raving about these South Kingstown hotels

Malta, New York
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Was late in making reservations, didn't do it until morning of, found one room in all of RI so we snapped it up. Cost $316 with tax and everything else. We checked in around midnight.The room smelled like urine, overpowering in fact, the covers were stained, as were the sheets. The bathroom was dirty. When we called down to the front desk the staff was complacent - but they did offer to come up and spray the room with deodorizer. Yeah, like that would fix it. When we told them we wanted to cancel our reservation and find someplace else to go they gave us a hard time. We ended up getting a refund, thanks Amex and Hotel.com for forcing the hotel to refund our money. We set out in the middle of the night and were happy to drive 50 miles to the nearest hotel that had a vacancy, a Hilton / Doubletree property in MA. We enjoyed a good nights sleep in a very clean room, with free breakfast, for $109. This Holiday Inn was disgusting, can't say that too many times. Wish there was a negative rating.

Room Tip: If you want to choose a good room my tip is to stay anywhere else but this hotel, rooms are dirty an...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fun4us01
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn South Kingstown, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear fun4us01,

Thank you so much for your comments. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. Please accept my sincerest apology for falling short of your expectations on this day, especially with the room accommodations but I am pleased that you were refunded already. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Pam G.
Ocean Rose Inn
Ocean Rose Inn
#7 of 8 in Narragansett
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina

Been to Holiday Inn South Kingstown? Share your experiences!