“Best Hotel that S. Kingstown has to offer” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn South Kingstown

Holiday Inn South Kingstown
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in South Kingstown
Charlton, Massachusetts, United States
“Best Hotel that S. Kingstown has to offer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

Just returned from a couples weekend.....this was my second time staying at this hotel. It may not be perfect, but it is definately the best you can get in the area. Clean rooms, comfortable beds and very friendly staff....Nice large outdoor pool with plenty of sun and shade areas. Sparkling pool and nice landscaped grounds.Walking distance to Dunkin doughnuts and subway for a quick bite. The only thing I no longer recomend is the restaurant (Liliana's) attached to the hotel.....please see my review for the awful details. I cannot wait to return to this hotel again in August

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 1st floor with slinding door to the pool.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
, Manager at Holiday Inn South Kingstown, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
We are always glad to hear that our guests enjoyed our pool and hotel. Our staff is pleased to k ow they have met your expectations and look forward to having you back at our hotel.
Doug Brady

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Vermont
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

Having just stayed in the same chain hotel the week before, I was surprised at the difference between the hotels. Both had recent upgrades and I could not complain about the service at either hotel.
I arrived late to the South Kingstown Holiday Inn. It was raining and I was disappointed that the overhang in front of the hotel doors were blocked off for traffic leaving us to unpack and run through a parking lot late at night in the pouring rain.
Once inside, the hotel lobby was very spacious, clean and nice. The desk clerk was very efficient and pleasant. I told her I needed to find the block island ferry early the next morning and she gave me a preprinted sheet with directions.
Another couple were checking in before us and we met them in the hall as they carried their dripping luggage to their room on the first floor. The elevator for the building is located on the other side of the building. A word of advice, park close to your room! I opted to stay in the front parking lot because my vehicle was full of boxes for my daughters wedding and the front lot seemed to be well lit. When I asked the desk clerk about security, she reassured me that the local PD drove through a few times a night. I figured it best to keep the truck in the front in case they didn't come in and drive around the entire building.
The room was very decorated well and the linens were good quality. We always check the beds for bedbugs and were pleased to see the beds were clean, but the floor next to the bed was littered with someone's toe nail clippings. Yuk.... but the rest of the room was obviously vacuumed, so obviously an oversight on the maid staff.
I had forgotten some items in the vehicle, so I had to hike back across the hotel to the elevator and back across the length of the hotel again to get out the front door. While doing this, the couple who checked in with us were back in the hall with their luggage. Seems the room they checked into had been occupied and dirty, they were heading up to the second floor and also complaining about how far away the elevator was! In all honesty, the long distance to the elevator wouldn't have seemed like such a big issue if it had not been so late at night and we had all been driving in the rain for some distance.
The beds were comfortable with a nice selection of pillows. The air exchange units were efficient and quiet. Something I'm particular about as the banging of those units can keep me away all night!
I was traveling with my daughter, so in the morning 3 bath towels between us left me with the hand towel for my long hair. This room was only supplied with shampoo and I didn't have much time at that point to call down and wait for conditioner to be delivered. These are the little details that you enjoy when they are there and miss when they are not.
I like Holiday Inn's rapid checkout...they send a preprinted bill under your door, you sign it and simply leave it at the desk. I do wish they they reused the cardboard pocket folder that the bill is enclosed in. Ours had our room number written on it and I noticed the desk clerk tossed it in the trash. Seems like a waste of money and resources, but that is my own issue.
Here comes my big problem...In the morning, all the cones blocking off the lobby overhang were gone. No evidence of construction, so now I'm thinking they only block it off at night. Lugging my soaked clothes from the night before in a plastic bag, I really wasn't happy to see this. My suggestion would be to leave the overhang open during bad weather. It really made a difference to me on a rainy night.
I would probably try another hotel next time I take the early ferry. This was nothing special or out of the ordinary and a bit inconvenient with all the walking after such a long trip to get there. I must commend the desk staff, both the evening and morning person was very pleasant and efficient. Having just stayed at another Holiday Inn the week before, I know it can be better. I have avoided this chain for many years, staying instead at the Sheraton or Radisson. I like the middle of road hotels that have good linens, are clean, safe and offer room service. This particular hotel just didn't come close enough to the line of satisfaction.

Room Tip: Park at the outside door closest to your room. The hotel elevators are NOT centrally located.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn South Kingstown, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
Dear freebirdVT,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am pleased you found our staff services efficient. Please accept my sincerest apology for any inconvenience the construction may have caused. We appreciate you bringing this into our attention as this is our best resource of improving guest services.

Thank you again for your review.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Matawan, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

We had a very good stay; your staff is well trained and extremely curteous and pleasant.

If I may I have 2 items to add that may enhance your hotel; 1) Room should have at least a flyer showing the hotel amenities and restaturant.

2) The hallways should be clear of dishes; we left the hotel at 11 am on a Sunday and there were two big trays with the plates from the breakfast oreder; we return to the hotel about 4:30 pm and the trays were still on the hallway.

We will stay at the Holiday Inn again and will recommend to our friends.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
sknri, Manager at Holiday Inn South Kingstown, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. We will certainly address the issues you have raised to make sure that your next visit with us will be as enjoyable as your first visit. We look forward to having you stay with us in the futures.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

The property is in good repair and was about standard for a Holiday Inn but the staff made this a much better than average stay. Everyone from the front desk, the bartender in the lounge and housekeeping were remarkably friendly and helpful. If I have any suggestions it would be that the excercise room was just 3 cardio machines and no weights but that's pretty minor.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
sknri, Manager at Holiday Inn South Kingstown, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Our staff will be very happy to hear of your wonderful comments. Thank you
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012 via mobile

Stayed while at the university of rhode island. Hotel is very close. Staff extreme friendly and Doug on the desk was great with directions to a local restaurant and gave us plenty of ideas of places to see. Thank you
Room was comfortable, a bit dated and old in appearance bit very clean. I will be back due to the great and friendly staff

• Stayed May 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
sknri, Manager at Holiday Inn South Kingstown, responded to this review, May 26, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn. We are very glad to know how great the staff was and we look forward to you staying again with us in the future.
Belmont,Ma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 1 night w/ sisters for family get together @my cousins home. After we made our reservation,we noticed a entertainment card discount! We. Stayed for 85. The room. W. vy nice,bathroom ok, pool view ,but not open. We went to the. Lobby for. Breakfast ,Iordered. Eggs,bacon,e.muffin,,ok, muffin undercooked & 10.oo a little high! I would have. Preferred to go to Dunnkins which is walking distance. Lobby &. Front entrance. Could use a little. Cleanup, sofa. Worn. Overall. Ok. For. Few days

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
sknri, Manager at Holiday Inn South Kingstown, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
We are very happy to know you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to having you back in the future.
Doug
West Granby, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

We got a very good rate for this hotel on Hotwire for a Mother/Daughter getaway. We spent two nights and had a very good experience. We found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. The room was nice and the beds were quite confortable. The only thing I would say that is negative about the room is that the bathroom was on the smaller side. The water pressure in the shower was perfect. We found this hotel to be centrally located. We did not try the restaurant at the hotel as we ate while we were out sightseeing. I would suggest that they put something outside by the trash cans for cigarette butts. All in all a good experience.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
sknri, Manager at Holiday Inn South Kingstown, responded to this review, April 21, 2012
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. We were very pleased to know you enjoyed your stay with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Kingstown
#7 of 8 in Narragansett
Wyndham Bay Voyage Inn
Wyndham Bay Voyage Inn
#1 of 2 in Jamestown

Been to Holiday Inn South Kingstown? Share your experiences!