“Just average.”

Holiday Inn South Kingstown
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in South Kingstown
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Close to URI, but a bit too far from Newport. There's really nothing to do around the hotel. Rooms are just average, nothing special. The walls are paper thin. We can hear the conversations of our neighbors! Request a room on a higher floor. I wish we had known to ask for one; we were stuck on the first floor near the pathetic exercise room. There are three machines in the exercise room, and the ceiling is very low. This hotel is probably good for a one night stay, I wouldn't recommend attempting to drive to Newport, it's 25 minutes away.

• Stayed: August 2011
sknri, General Manager at Holiday Inn South Kingstown, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2011

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. We hope to see you again at our Holiday Inn in the near future.

Reviewed August 19, 2011

August 2011
I recently stayed at this hotel in South Kingston, RI and most say this is one of the most poorly managed hotels I have stayed in... EVER. Hard to list all the problems with this place.
My family and I were placed on the third floor over looking a beautiful dumpster filled with old, stained mattresses down below in the parking lot. At least put a tarp over the dumpster to ease the eye sore. I felt like I was staying in South Detroit with that view. The window looking outside had green mold growing on it. I pretty much kept the curtains closed at this point. Cable was out the first evening. I would have really enjoyed watching TV on my 22 inch Zenith from 1997. Seriously, this was the most outdated TV I have seen in a hotel room.
The bathroom was tiny. The door literally missed the toilet by one inch when swung open. The bath tub was a mini tub and made of that old tan plastic material.

Dishes from room service sat in the hallways most of the morning till around 11 PM when I checked out the second day.
The maid only decided to clean half our room, I guess she had other things to do.
Food dropped by someone laid in the elevator for two days on the already stained carpet. I could go on and on but what's the point? When I complained to the person at the front desk she said they were in a management transition. Just what I want to hear after spending almost $350 for two nights. I guess until new management steps in the people working there can't keep it clean for some reason. T
Also, no microwave in the room or fridge and no breakfast of any kind.
I tried to get coffee one morning in the restaurant and after waiting for 15 minutes decided to walk across the parking lot to the Dunkin Donuts.
Upon returning the woman who took my order gave me a dirty look.
What a disaster this place is. I have pictures of the dumpster, mold, and food in elevator.
When I have time I will post them on hotel reviews warning other innocent souls never to stay at this place.
Can't understand how this place could be so bad. Don't be fooled by the pictures. They were obviously taken the day this place opened. It is now dirty and old with zero amenities. Only positive is the location if visiting Block Island which we were.

Room Tip: The best room would be at a different hotel
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Jim A
sknri, General Manager at Holiday Inn South Kingstown, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2011

Thank you for your personal comments regarding your stay at our hotel. While we obviously completely disagree with your assessment of our hotel, we are deeply disappointed that you were not able to enjoy your stay with us. You are correct that we have indeed replaced all the hotels mattresses with brand new Simmons Pillow Top beds. We continually upgrade our hotel to ensure that we meet and exceed guest expectations and being ranked #1 in our region and our dedication to our guests is our main goal. Your comments are appreciated and let us know what we are doing right and ways for improvement.

Reviewed August 19, 2011

Booked this hotel at the last minute for a Rhode Island getaway weekend. Clean, quiet, spacious room, decent out door pool, with an Italian restaurant on site. The elevators are located in an odd spot, quite a distance from the lobby. We were 2nd floor and right next to the staircase, so this was not an issue. Heard the restaurant for dinner was great. We had breakfast our last day and the service left a lot to be desired (error on my meal, and totally different entree arrived for my husband, which took a while to redo the correct one. Same problems with the family next to us.) This was the only flaw for our stay. You can also go to Dunkins/Subway in the plaza next door. Front desk staff very helpful and pleasant. Recommended Casey's for casual dining, and the food was great. Casey's had an adjoining bar with several large screen TVs, so my husband could watch the Patriot's foot ball game. We were less than 15 minutes to Narragansett town beach, which was lovely: decent waves for boogie boarding, no rocks or sea weed, and warm for a New England beach! We were also about 20 minutes from the Block Island ferry, where we spent a picturesque afternoon. We were also only 15 minutes from Newport, spending a few hours at the Bannister Wharf area, and a polo match in nearby Portsmouth. There was also a trolley that ran on a 2 hr schedule to the beaches, ferry, shopping etc. that we did not use.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
sknri, Manager at Holiday Inn South Kingstown, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2011

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to having you back as a guest in our hotel.

Reviewed August 7, 2011

We booked two nights at this hotel on line for a basketball tournament. When we realized we could not make it down for 2 nights, I called the hotel directly (2 days before our stay) and canceled our Friday night reservation but kept Saturday night. When we got to the hotel Saturday, we were told they gave our room away. They were able to give us another room but said that we would be charged for both nights because we did not show on Friday. I gave my husband the cancellation number and the girl at the desk said she would have her manager reverse the charge for Friday evening. When we went to leave Sunday, my husband noticed that the bills outside other rooms were for about $60.00 less a night than what we had paid. When we got our credit card bill, we noticed that not only had we been charged for the Friday night, but we were charged for both nights TWO times! My husband called and spoke to someone who said they would remove the second charge but we would still have to pay for the Friday night we had canceled. Despite 4 other calls into the hotel to speak with the highest manager, and it has now been going on for about a month - we have not received any calls back from anyone to rectify this problem. Pathetic experience. We should charge them for all the time we have spent trying to get this resolved.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank handsmonsen
sknri, Manager at Holiday Inn South Kingstown, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2011

Thank you for your comments and we do apolgize for any confusion or misunderstanding that has been caused regarding the hotels 2 night stay policy on the peak summer weekends. The accounting department is currently checking into your billing inquiries.

Reviewed August 5, 2011

The room was very clean and the service was great. I have no complaints regarding the room or bathroom. It is located in South Kingstown, which is close to Newport, Block Island Ferry and Martha's Vineyard Ferry. I picked this hotel for those reasons, but, realized after visiting Block Island I realized I should have stayed there. Once you visit Block Island you'll fall in love with the Island. It's a small island that you get to by ferry or plane, the ferry is only $20 round trip per person. The Island has beautiful beaches and great restaurants. The people are so friendly. You can get around the entire island by bike or moped.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jcu604

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us while visiting the South County Area. We look forward to having you return to Rhode Island and the great beaches and scenery.

Reviewed July 31, 2011

We booked this hotel last minute for an overnight stay to the area beaches. Holiday Inn Kingstown, RI. offers a breakfast package which entitles two adults per room to a $20 a day voucher towards breakfast at Lilian's resturaunt, kids under 12 eat free. Great idea!! However this location is not the place to book this package. My wife and I as well as our three children ages 18 mo. 3 yrs and 7 yrs arrived the next morning for breakfast we were seated, and our server gave us menus and took our drink order. I tired to give the voucher at this point to the server who responded " I don't need that" Then said " Give it to them at the register" We were served cups of warm coffee ( not hot) . My children were given glasses of milk and juice (not plastic cups). We asked for straws and his responce was " you need some ?" Our place setting was a knife and fork. When he returned with the straws I was stiring my coffee with my knife as a hint for a spoon request. Nothing !! not even a second glance. The menu didn't even have a kids menu section to it, we didn't give it a second thought remember kids under 12 eat free. My 7 year old ordered bacon and eggs with a grilled bagel, we ordered a pancake and sausage for my 3 year old, and I ordered one of their breakfast specials (not by name of plate) . We never got a second round of coffee we helped ourselfs to a pot left on a seving station. A while later our breakfast was brought out piece meal, my eggs on a seperate plate, bacon for both my 7 yr ol and myself together as well as the toast and bagel. Upon getting the last of our meal on the third trip from the kitchen. I didn't get the homefries until I asked for them. At the end of the meal were were delivered the check as the server basically ran by. I was astounded, $63 dollars for breakfast. The bill was Al-carte except for my wifes item a breakfast burrito. I looked for our server for several minutes who disappeared into the kitchen. When he finally appeared I summonsed him over to clarify this issue. I questioned everything on the bill why we were not charged for a menu item like the "best value 4 your day " breakfast special. He responded " That's not how you ordered it" I have never been told that EVER. I asked why I was charged for the kids meals, he said " You ordered off the full price menu" I said you mean there is a seperate kids menu. He said "Yes" I said "Now I have to ask for a kids menu" He asked " Did you really need them". Upon asking for a manager I was told that there is not one one duty. We exchanged words before I walked out to speak to the hotel manager. I was approched by the hotel manager a minute later and explained the situation. He seemed upset at the comments from the server and verified that there is indeed no manager on duty only a owner that comes and goes. He offered to make things right and would take up the matter with the owner. Upon check out were were only charged for the adult meal . The overall hotel room was great and the ammenities were good as well. The Hotel staff was kind and considerate. The reason for the average rating was based entirely on the breakfast disaster. We should have taken the extra time to find a real resturant . I will be very careful if I ever book this package again but never agin at this location.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and that we were able to quickly rectify the issues encountered with our kids eat free policy. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed July 22, 2011

We were just stopping for a quick rest from our road trip but were very disappointed. I know holiday inn is budget but his hotel didn't are at all about pleasing it's customers. The lobby was at one end of the building, the elevator at the other end and then our room back on the lobby side. Very inconvenient. In e morning, I asked where I could find coffee. A staff indicated a room of the lobby which looked like he restaurant, the person there brought out a small paper cup of coffee and said "that will be $3". Can't they even have a carafe of coffee in the lobby, not asking for breakfast which many other cheap hotels offer. Then at checkout, they charged me $25 more than what I was quoted and confirmed for on the phone. I questioned the difference and the woman could care less and said "it is what it is" wow! I would recommend the LaQuinta in pawcutuck, ct.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank Whitneytravels
sknri, Manager at Holiday Inn South Kingstown, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2011

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. We value and welcome all feedback from our valued guests. We look forward to you staying again with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Kingstown
TownePlace Suites Providence North Kingstown
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#1 of 3 in West Warwick

Been to Holiday Inn South Kingstown? Share your experiences!