“Goods and Bads”
Review of Pastry Land Bakery

Pastry Land Bakery
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Smithfield
Reviewed May 30, 2014

I picked up a birthday cake here for a little over $20. It was nicely decorated and had a very sugary frosting that some people love. I went back and bought pastries several weeks later...they ranged from 'ok' to outstanding. My take is, this is an italian bakery...stick with the italian pastries. Don't necessarily go there for a fresh, gooey brownie. The caramel cheescake slice was AMAZING. I bought sub-rolls too (they told me they were semi-hard I think?)...anyway, all the kiddo's loved them. My 2 year old son ate nearly a whole one on the 5 minute drive home.

There are newer reviews for Pastry Land Bakery

Reviewed May 20, 2014

We have usually gotten pastry here, which is very good. My daughter who is a Tiramisu fan, says there is just ok. They have chocolate covered strawberries, that are very good. We ordered a cake, which was not good. We also ordered a pastry tray, which was excellent. It had éclairs, cannoli's, cupcakes...My favorite thing here is actually the pizza. They have a Margherita pizza that is excellent. One of the best I have tasted. They offer nice wine specials too, since there is a bar as well on one side.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

I visit Pastryland on the average of once every month or two. Recently, my daughter wanted to order a birthday cake from there. I went to Pastryland on a Sunday afternoon to order the cake as well as purchase a few goodies for the evening. They were wiped out, but it was understandable since it was playoff weekend. I bought 4-5 misc. pastries and ordered the small birthday cake. The girl at the counter seemed like it was a bother to wait on me even though they didn't close for 2-3 hours. There was also only 1-2 other customers in the store. She told me that I couldn't get one layer of chocolate and one layer of vanilla in the round cake since "they don't do that for small cakes". Hesitantly, I placed the order anyways for all chocolate since the store is close by. My daughter just wanted a basic cake with flowers and requested the colors purple, pink, and blue. When the girl rung up the purchases at the cash register, she asked me if I wanted to pay for the cake then or later. I decided to pay for everything at that time. I paid for the purchases and she said that I was all set. She didn't give me a receipt - I questioned her and said, "Don't I need a slip to pick up the cake on Friday?" She said no, you won't have a problem. Well...I picked up the cake on Friday and purchased 2 additional cupcakes. When another girl was ringing up the purchases, I reminded her that the cake was already paid for. She said it wasn't indicated on the slip. I said that I was 100% positive that I paid for the cake - my purchase on Sunday was around $34: $19 for the cake and the rest for the misc. pastries. She got another girl to come to the register who was the one who originally took my order on Sunday. This girl said, "Yes, I remember you - you didn't pay for the cake." She said it twice! I was mortified that she was accusing me of not paying when I certainly paid for the cake. She finally told the other girl, "just give it to her". I did pay for the extra cupcakes. Lesson learned - ALWAYS GET A RECEIPT and go elsewhere. I usually order cakes from Wright's Dairy or LaSalle Bakery, both of which employ very friendly staff. I'm kicking myself now that I didn't drive the extra 10-15 minutes for better service and quality. This experience (ordering the cake) and then picking it up has totally turned me off from going to Pastryland again. The cake decorating isn't even special. It looked like something I could have walked in and picked out of the case. The only color was on the 3 flowers - no color anywhere around the edges, only white. Very disappointed.

2  Thank teach227
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Pastry Land is my go-to bakery for pastry and calzones. I recently purchased their russian tea cakes (very moist) and tiramisu cannolis (incredible!) for a special dinner and both were great. I love that you can order and iced coffee while picking up pre-packaged cookies, wine/pepper biscuits, etc. Their pizza is good but not my favorite in the area... and best when reheated (cold, not so much). The quality here is very consistent and reliable. The previous review regarding a bad wedding cake should likely be disregarded since $360 for a wedding cake is ridiculously cheap and ALL wedding cakes are dry and flavorless unless you pay $8+/slice for one of the local celebrity bakers.

1  Thank Melissa S
Reviewed December 1, 2010

I bought my wedding cake from pastry land, it was dry, tasteless, just awful. I now know why they don't do tastings. I have a tree nut allergy, if they couldn't accomidate me without it tasting so awful they should have said so! It was so embarrasing, serving that at my wedding. $360.00 down the drain.

3  Thank sunset357