“Make dinner reservation or be ready to play beat the clock”
Review of D Carlo - CLOSED

D Carlo
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Authentic and Innovative Italian Cuisine. Since 2005, Tavolo has been serving authentic and innovative Italian cuisine along with grilled steaks, seafood and hand crafted desserts. Since 2005, with an amazing team of Chefs and energetic onsite owners, Tavolo is well known for the quality of its classic Italian dishes as well as creative and exciting specials. Big City dining without the big City prices.
N. Providence
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Make dinner reservation or be ready to play beat the clock”
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Our family at the last minute decided to eat out so we visited this local Italian restaurant. Upon checking in at around 6:30, the Hostess asked us if we had reservations. We said no and expected to wait. She looked at her seating chart and said, “I have only one table and I can give it to you, but you can only have it for an hour because I have a reservation for 7:30. Will that be ok? Can you do that?"

My husband and I exchanged looks and he said, "Well it depends, we will do our best but we can't control how fast you serve us."

She hesitated and seemed unsure if she should give us the table and risk it. So my husband asked, "What happens if we run out of time?" The other person waiting behind the desk tried to suppress a laugh and said, "I am sure we can give you five or ten minutes in case that happens."

I chimed in, "As you can see, we have two kids and the last thing we want to do is be here any longer than we need to."

So we all agreed to give it a go and we were seated. Our server quickly came over, introduced himself and took our drink order. He was only gone a few minutes when a lovely lady came over and introduced herself as our server and asked us for our drink order.

My husband and I looked at each other confused and I told the waitress "that nice man over there said he was our waiter and already took our drink order."

The waitress explained that, "he's my partner and sometimes does that, we help each other."

I said," I understand, but we are beginning to worry that we aren't going to have enough time to eat our dinner. You see, we were told by the hostess that we only have an hour before we are going to be evicted from the table for another reservation.“ The waitress looked shocked. She re-assured us that everything will be alright and it was. The food was really good and our servers were really nice. Somehow we were out by 7:17.

My husband and I gave each other a high five as we left the restaurant.

Bottom Line: Hostess needs training on how to manage reservations and seating without putting customers off. Since there was no wait when we arrived nor when we left, we suspect that she gave us a time limit because we had children with us. Also, our table was the closest one to the kitchen and we can't imagine anyone wanting to reserve this one when there are so many other nicer places to sit.

• Visited April 2012

Fall River, Massachusetts
“A unique twist on Italian Cuisine”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

We visited D Carlo Trattoria for dinner with another couple on a Saturday night. We waited at he bar for a table for about 20 minutes before being seated, not too bad for a busy Saturday night. We had all been once before and recalled enjoying our meals but it had been a while. Though situated in something of a strip mall, D Carlo is very nicely decorated with muted tones and linen on the table, pretty fancy in fact. The menu runs through all of your Italian favorites but most have a unique twist. I ordered one of two specials for the evening, Pan Seared Sea Scallops with Gnocchi, my wife had the Papardelle pasta tossed with Pulled Braised Rabbit and a Duck Confit sausage. Our friends had the Chicken Marsala and the Braised Short Ribs. I must say that there were no leftovers to bring home. Not a cheap night out ($112.00 with drinks), dinner entrees range from $17.00 for Chicken Parmesan to $30.00 for the Grilled Sirloin Steak. We all thoroughly enjoyed our meals and will add D Carlo to our list of favorites.

• Visited March 2012
nect
“Always a pleasure”
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Fantastic authentic Italian food, attentive owners who are usually around making sure everything is done top notch, great staff, great atmosphere. A great choice!

• Visited December 2011
Dallas, Texas
“Tad slow on service, but great food”
Reviewed December 4, 2011

I took a couple of my team here for lunch. They are both new to the area and didn't know any more than I did so we found D Carlo on Google.

The food (I had the chicken parm, team had a wrap of some sort and a cobb salad) was well proportioned. Mine was very flavorful (great maranara sauce on the pasta!) and they said theirs was really good too. No complaints on the quality of the food or the size of the menu (good selection).

While it wasn't very busy, the service was a tad slow. A couple times I had finished my drink and had to find someone to fill it up. It then took a few minutes to get our check and a few more to actually get them to swipe my credit card. While I know we were talking during lunch, we were there for 90 minutes (normally we hit 45 to 60 for lunch). Towards the end of our lunch they were getting busier so I have a feeling that was the reason for the slowdown towards the end of our meal.

Visited December 2011
“Simply the best around”
Reviewed September 22, 2011

D Carlo is a gem. They survive on a creative menu that has amazing flavors for everyone. This is the type of Rhode Island restaurant that helps give RI it's culinary distinction. The flavors and wine selections are perfect for a small get together as well as a client meetings. I have brought several customers there and everyone is impressed by the cuisine. The staff is always pleasant but not stuffy. You simply can't go wrong with this one. It is busy but not packed most nights so you are usually able to get in. They have a nice small leather couch lounge that is great for a corporate cocktail, as we like to call them. D. (one of the owners) is always there to help and is always accommodating and if you get on his good side they sometimes have a private food / wine testing that is to die for. Bottom line is this place is excellent and we could use a place like this in every RI town.

• Visited September 2011