“Extremely disappointing service”

Yamato Steak House
Ranked #28 of 79 Restaurants in Smithfield
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed April 15, 2013

In the Providence area for my granddaughter's birthday, she wanted japanese. We waited 90 minutes after arrival to be told that the steak had "run out" and needed to be cut! the adults had had our appetizers, soups and salads, and were not hungry by that time; the children, however, were hungry, crying, and extremely disappointed when we were finally, after 90 mins, told we would have to wait at least 20 MINUTES MORE for our food! When we went to leave, we were offered a discount for the next visit (never will happen), and paid full fare for our partial meal.
NEVER have we had such terrible service, and such lack of empathy and understanding from the staff. We ended up eating Domino's in a hotel lobby.
Poor choice, would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I've been to Yamato twice in the past month and was pleasantly surprised both with dining in and take-out. I live in the area and typically drive into Providence for good sushi but decided to give it a shot. My first visit, my husband and I sat down for lunch. We each ordered the 2 roll maki lunch special which came with a choice of soup or salad and we were each able to choose the rolls we wanted from a good sized list specific to the lunch special. My only reservation was that the spicy tuna roll appeared almost to be a ground meat consistency but the flavor was great and it was fresh so I didn't mind. The salad (which I had) was fresh & dressing was yummy. My husband enjoyed the miso soup also. Our impression of the restaurant's interior was that it was much nicer than we had expected but we did not feel out of place eating our lunch there in jeans and shorts. Overall this is someplace I would gamble on suggesting as a place to eat out with friends without embarassment. On our 2nd visit we ordered take-out and picked it up at the restaurant to bring home because we just wanted something healthy, fast, and less expensive than a sit down meal. So we ordered the Classic Maki Combo Dinner (1 california roll, 1 cucumber roll, 1 tuna roll with soup AND salad) and split it. I got the salad and he got the soup and we split the 3 rolls between us for a very satisfying sushi lunch for 2 that only ran about $15 with tax! I thought this was an incredible price (considering it would be difficult to even buy super market sushi for this amount) and vowed to make this a regular choice when considering my sushi options. Overall, I'd definitely recommend Yamato although I'm not terribly adventurous when it comes to different types of sushi so I cannot say how their more complicated rolls or sashimi are. My only wish is that they offered delivery!

1  Thank Melissa S
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Made reservations and we were pleasantly surprised by a reserved sign at a nice corner booth. The first time we went and made reservations we showed up and received a number and waited a half hour to sit. Nice to see they worked out the bugs as the wait was when it first opened. Whether it is sushi or hibachi they always seem to be consistently good and reasonable. The prices for hibachi may have went up a bit as the restaurants popularity grew. Would recommend for above average sushi and strong drinks.

Reviewed February 13, 2012

Ate here recently and liked it very much Nice decor and the food is very good. Sushi was fresh, and presented very nicely. Hibachi food is affordably priced as well. Service was attentive and friendly. Will come again.