“Great mgmt, great place”

Founder's Brook Motel & Suites
and 1 more site!
Founder's Brook Motel & Suites
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a wedding at the blithewold mansion. Its inexpensive, clean and a fantastic place to spend the night. I ended up forgetting a shirt in my room and Prena at the front desk couldn't have been kinder and more responsive in sending it to me in NY. Definitely recommended!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JolaNH

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Just arrived. The front desk clerk is lovely. Very friendly. The room leaves a LOT to be desired. We are in the far back & as we went by the other rooms we noticed all the windows are completely open in every unit despite it being a brisk fall day. When we got to our own unit we noticed the same thing and then discovered why-- the room reeks of mold/mildew & air freshener attempting to cover it up. The room is of good size with a little kitchenette. There are stains present all over but it appears to have been cleaned. Can not say the same for the bedding. Luckily we brought a set of our own sheets from home due to the wide range of reviews. There are many strands of dark hair on the pillow & in the bed. Unfortunately, somehow we only have one pillowcase with us.. when I approached housekeeping for another pillowcase he told me "That's impossible. I changed the bedding myself yesterday and only one person stayed in there last night." Ummm... so because it was a single occupant the bedding doesn't get changed?? He handed me a set of bedding from the cart & said to just leave the other bedding by the door to be picked up later. The fridge is not cold & there is a puddle by it on the floor. The staff seems to be aware of this because shortly after returning with sheets the phone rang & the front desk clerk asked if we planned to stay & I mentioned puddle... her reply was that we could turn it off if we wanted. Not a big deal for us as we didn't need it anyway but if someone was planning to save $$ by cooking it could be a problem. According to the staff there is no other rooms available to be switched to. They are willing to give a "pro-rated refund" if we'd like to leave (not sure what the portion they would keep is for) but as we learned when booking here there aren't many other options & as it is for just the one night we have decided to stay but are very glad we will be out late tonight & leaving early in the morning!

• Stayed: October 2013
5  Thank Responder9
Reviewed September 7, 2013

On the plus side: cheap ($136) when hotels in Newport this weekend were all $200+. Shower was hot. Toilet flushed. Quiet. Now the other side of the story: when you get to your room, you'll need to open ALL the windows to get rid of the mildew smell. Wallpaper peeling from the shower. Everything is old and sad looking. For a night, it's fine. More than a night, find another place.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank MitchfromLI
Reviewed August 26, 2013

You have to have a sense of humor to stay here. The front desk told us not to try to use the GPS, because their address is not in it. The clerk on the phone gave us a nearby GPS address which turned out to be the Episcopal Church. Since we are Episcopalians, this was appropriate, but several miles from the motel. Another call to the motel, and the very nice lady gave us a very long dissertation on how to find the motel which turned out to be totally incomprehensible. All they had to tell us was that it was near exit 2 off of RT 138, but they apparently did not know that! We finally arrived to find no one in the office, but a telephone did have a note on it to call. A few minutes later a very nice lady arrived to tell us about her broken ribs and to check us in. The only information she needed was our credit card which alarmed me somewhat. She gave me a key and said our room was "up there on the right". It turned out that there were many rooms up there on the right, and the room numbers could not be read from the car, because they were very small. So I walked around and found our room. It did concern me that the car two doors down had two flat tires and, obviously, had been there for some time. I was more concerned when I noticed that the security chain had been pulled out of the doorframe in our room when someone had broken in. The frame had been repaired by drilling two new holes alongside the old ones. The old ones had not been filled. We were more concerned when we noticed that the lock stile on the door had been hit so hard that it was split and the lock was being held in place by wood filler, very secure. We walked into our suite to find a large stain on the rug in the center of the room. In the bathroom the soap dish had fallen out of the wall once before, and the two holes for it had been filled! The problem was that it had fallen out of the two newly drilled holes and was on the floor. While picking it up, I noticed that the yellow wallpaper had turned brown over the heater. That was better than in the shower where it was falling off the walls! I proceeded to the bedroom where there was a trap door in the ceiling over the bed. I was much reassured to find it secured by two large Master padlocks. At least they could not come in that way, but I did wonder what was up there that was so valuable. The owner, obviously, considered it more valuable than than the guests!

In spite of all this, the maid had really done a good job of cleaning the room even though the 1930's decorating must have made it difficult. She was doing a good job. So we went to sleep in a pretty comfortable double bed felling a little insecure, but comfortable. It was not until 6 am when the guns started going off that we became really concerned. Since there were no bullets coming our way, we cautiously made our way around the corner next to our room. To our relief, we found that they were building a new house right behind our room, and the guns were nail guns.

We had to go to a meeting the next morning, so we put everything of value in our car. In the middle of the meeting my cell phone rang. It was the motel wanting to know why our luggage was still in the room. I explained that our reservation was for two nights, and that we already had paid for two nights. They seemed totally confused by this, but agreed to let us stay.

When we returned to our room late that afternoon, we found out that it had not been made up. We called the front desk to request some towels. We were informed that they were having some "housekeeping problems" and were very apologetic. It turned out that they had fired the maid. From our observations, she was the most competent person on their staff.

As we drove off the next morning, the Roger Williams College bus drove up and many students came out of their rooms. We wondered if they were charged the same $150.00 per night that we were. Remember, this motel is at Exit 2 off of RT 138. You might want to avoid it.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Clarence K
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We booked here last-minute to extend a trip to the Newport area. The person who checked us in was very gracious and gave us suggestions for local sights and restaurants. The motel is quiet and out of the way, which was nice.

The room itself was sadly outdated and in need of work. The wallpaper was peeling in the bathroom, and there were only enough (small, thin) towels for 2 of us, even though we had made the reservation for 4. The pull-out couch was ancient and uncomfortable, and the paper-thin mattress kept falling through where there used to be springs.

In the end, we felt we had paid too much for what we got, and it is a shame, since the staff were so nice and helpful and the place has so much potential if it were just given some upgrading and care.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Really a nice little place, comfortable, convenient. Not modern but very clean and everything you need and more. Coffee in room, refrigerator, stove, microwave. Beds are fine, nice shower and good (not great but fine) internet. Extremely friendly and solicitous staff (without being intrusive). I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Suites are large and comfortable
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Yes, these units were not modern but I found them to be very clean. The grounds were well kept and maintained beautifully. I enjoyed the layout of the room because it felt like a studio apartment but the bed still had it's own area away from the common area. When we arrived we were greeted with the sweetest greeting. I am not sure what her name was, but she was extremely helpful and eager to accommodate. We brought our dog and it had plenty of grounds for our dog to run around. This motel is perfectly situated between three main roads, 114, 138 and 24 but still managed to stay quiet and serene. I recommend this motel to those who do not want to spend a lot of money but want a relaxing atmosphere. My only issue was that garbage became an issue. My suggestion to the motel is to have garbage cans outside and collected because it becomes a burden in the room, especially if you bring in food like we did.

Room Tip: I don't think any rooms would be a bad choice.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank laurabeth510

Been to Founder's Brook Motel & Suites? Share your experiences!