“Horrible place”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portsmouth
Beverly, Massachusetts
“Horrible place”
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Stayed with my husband and two kids. My mom and other family members also booked rooms and some walked out the moment they set foot inside. High $$ and dirty. We arrived late at night and didn't have the option of leaving. The room was large in size and terrible smells. It was very dirty and the furniture was very old and in some cases the beds were held together with plastic zip ties. The futon in our room and my mothers had stains and cigarette burns. Mold on the wall and strong chemical smell. Stains and bits of filth on the towels. No air flow and ancient ac unit. Lots of moths inside the room. Left early the next day.
I encourage you to find something better.

Room Tip: don't spend the money
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank blueberrymama

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
New Jersey
Reviewed July 28, 2011

"Sketchy" place: sheets with hair/someone's dirty t-shirt hanging in bathroom/cobwebs/beds very old and uncomfortable/smell. Near noisy highway.
Room next to us had 6 men and something wasn't right with the goings on there...
VERY uncomfortable night, couldn't leave fast enough in the morning.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank travelswithfamily09
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 3, 2011

We stayed at Founders Brook during a trip to Newport, RI. Having seen some negative reviews on Trip Advisor, we were kind of nervous and not sure what to expect but as soon as we drove in to the parking lot it was apparent that the property was clean and well kept. The grounds were large and well landscaped. The rooms are kind of small but clean. The property has several buildings with a few suites in each building. We chose to stay in a suite which was clean and comfortable. There was a front room with a kitchenette and a small bedroom in the back. The suite can accommodate 4 people. There is no pool or restaurant but there are several waterfront restaurants nearby. It is a no frills kind of place but it is clean and the rates are much lower than most Newport hotels. Good for families.
For a few dollars more than the rooms, the suites are a good value.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank kay16
New Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed August 10, 2010

We had stayed there on a recommendation of a friend who had stayed there many times five or six years ago. They had said it was neat, clean, and convienient. We arrive early for a Wedding in the area and asked if could just change our clothes. The room wasn't ready, but she could give us a suite for $10 more which was available. I said that would be fine and went to the room. The room had a funny smell when we came in, so we turned on the a/c. It was a smaller unit patched into the wall with some daylight on the edges, which the manager told us about. The place was tired (moldings scratched up by a dog and just painted over, soap dish falling out of the wall, stained carper, and just old fashion furniture and appliances) it needed a complete renovation, but we were just going to sleep there. When we returned to the room after midnight, and went to go to sleep, things got worse. I pulled the blanket back and found a hard shell bug, then under further inspection there was stains on the blanket, didn't know if they were blood, chocolate or feces. We pulled all the covers back and slept on top of the bed with our clothes on. The next morning I stop by the front desk and told them of our night and they were very apologetic and blamed the housekkeepers. They gave me a $20 refund. I won't use this motel again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank latabata31
Downingtown, Pa
Reviewed August 3, 2010

My family of 5 recently stayed 2 nights. We were in town to spend time with friends and were interested in the cheapest, most spacious accomodations we could get. We were actually quite pleased with the Founders Brooke Suite. No... it's not the usual 5 star vacation spot we generally go for. But it was clean enough, quiet (it's near a busy highway but we never heard the traffic though we were in suite #10 - closest to the road), it was a quick 15 minute trip to the Newport Beach and Cliff Walk, and just under half an hour to Providence. A few minor items were a little wobbly (lamp above bed, soap dish in bathroom), but we didn't care. We just slept there. The staff was accomodating (we asked for directions here and there, and extra towels and washcloths). If you're looking for an inexpensive place to sleep that can accomodate 5 people that's within a half hour to almost everything you want to see in Newport or Providence - I recommend it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank MarloD
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed July 17, 2010

Given the cost of this place we would not have stayed here if we had not been desperate. It was getting late and our family motorcycle group had not been able to find vacancies in the Newport area. We saw this place and the grounds did look okay so we stopped and took three units.

The owner/manage insisted the only units she had were efficiencies and charged a premium for those. Although a living room/kitchen with a separate bedroom would have been great for an extended stay, the extra room was not needed for just the single night we needed.

Our unit had spoiled food in the frig which I set on the stoop and when I called the office about it, the food was disposed of immediately with sincere apologies. However, if the frig was overlooked when cleaning, what else was overlooked? I chose not to dwell on that thought as I did want to get at least a few hours of sleep.

We did not see any of those 'great restaurants nearby' that previous reviewers mentioned. We ended up ordering delivery pizza.

Would I stay again? No way. I would make sure I booked in advance if coming to this area and not have to rely on last minute desperation choices.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank MsBiker
Jamestown, Rhode Island
Reviewed July 13, 2010

On or about 6/9/10 I contacted several Rhode Island chambers of commerce inquiring about affordable motels with weekly discount rates in and around the Newport, RI, area, stressing quiet as my prime objective. I was supplied with several dozen possibilities; all of which I contacted. Staff at the Founder's Brook Motel claimed that their rooms were in a quiet serene setting far back and away from any traffic or major roads. In the spirit of good faith and good business I confirmed such a "quiet" room for 7/8/10 to 7/15/10. Upon arrival, however, I immediately noted that said staff had lied to me in an attempt to lure me and take my money under false pretenses; to wit, the motel's rooms are directly adjacent to a very busy, very noisy highway. I immediately complained and asked to be moved to a quieter location since all of the quieter units farthest from the noisy highway were unoccupied, stressing all. The owner of the motel (male - name unknown) then phoned me some four (4) days later on 7/12/10 at which point I reiterated how his staff had deliberately deceived me, rummaged through my toiletries when I was not present, and placed me in a very noisy room with cigarette burns in the carpet and on the bed spread, blood stains on the bed sheets, and a non-functional refrigerator, microwave oven, telephone and television set. The owner seemed nonplussed, uncaring and unwilling to move me to a quieter room despite all such rooms being unoccupied with, according to G.S., no reservations to fill (any of) them before 7/15/10. The owner then said that he would move me if I agreed to pay $59+ more per night. Given the circumstances of being deceived by his staff, and despite all such rooms being unoccupied, the owner refused to move me without my incurring additional cost prior to rudely hanging up on me. I paid $48.42 (incl. tax) per night for 7 nights, yet the owner only offered a refund of $40 for only my remaining nights despite my having paid in full and in advance and being out of town with nowhere else to go. The owner acted in a greedy, unethical, disrespectful manner with zero semblance of care, concern, honor or integrity. In essence I was lied to and robber...and then ignored and disrespected when I brought the matter to their attention. The rooms are nasty, infested, stained, odorous, and right next to a busy highway. Every morning I am awakened at around 6:00 a.m. to the thundering vibrations from transit buses, 18-wheelers, and noisy trucks, cars and motorcycles. Vacations are supposed to be pleasant and enjoyable. The staff and owner of Founder's Brook Motel, however, ruined my vacation by way of induced stress, sleepless nights, anger, depression and disappointment. I actually had to buy (and use) earplugs, wrap my head with a towel, and run 2 fans on high in an attempt to get some sleep...to no avail.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank Blueboy859
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Bristol Harbor Inn
Bristol Harbor Inn
#1 of 1 in Bristol
Travelodge Middletown Newport Area
Hampton Inn Fall River/Westport
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
Newport Ambassador Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites Middletown - Newport

Been to Founder's Brook Motel & Suites? Share your experiences!