“Great local diner fare, well prepared”

Reidy's Family Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 47 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American
Description: Diner style.Now accepting credit cards.
Description: Diner style.Now accepting credit cards.
Reviewed March 25, 2012

We had clamcakes and chowder, fried clams, and a Coney Island Hot Dog (dog with meat sauce) - all items were well-prepared. The clamcakes were savory and light, and the chowder (New England creamy, not Rhode Island brothy) was excellently seasoned.
It's a friendly place and the service was good even though they were really busy.
Clamcakes and black coffee - that's a good lunch!

Reviewed March 2, 2012

Why is it when I call my order in and it consist of chocolate shakes I always get a big HUFF from only one waitress,like it is a big problem to her.

Reviewed February 4, 2012

If you are looking for the local experience, this is it. Don't expect a delicious meal. But you'll get your basic burger, fried chicken, etc. Longtime locals seem to love it. Not for me.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Since I don't live in town anymore I hadn't been here in years. However, we don't live that far away so I recently took one of my sons here and found that it was just as I remembered it. Today the whole family went for breakfast because the kids didn't have school. Once again I wasn't disappointed. Great food at a more than reasonable price. Some reviews have said that the place may need some renovation but I happen to like how it is like stepping back in time. Just as I remembered it as a kid. Can't wait to go back and try some of their dinners. We will definitely become semi-regulars, if we lived a little closer we would make it weekly!

Reviewed September 10, 2011

Take it from a native, Reidy's serves perfect Rhode Island Fish and Chips. It does not get any better than this. Reidy's fish has a thin crispy batter and is not overdone nor greasy nor overwhelmed with spices. In the "Ocean State" fish tastes like fish. If you like hot and spicy it would be fine to bring some Cajun spice and sprinkle it on. The chips were also very good. All they needed was vinegar (commonly used for fries in Rhode Island). Our waitress was pleasant and efficient. We are going back soon to Reidy's to try other seafood.