“Still excellent after all these years” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 155 Restaurants in Pawtucket
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Newport, Rhode Island
“Still excellent after all these years”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

I hadn't been to China Inn in a few years as I no longer live in the north end of the state. But I was there last night and I was reminded of what a pleasure it can be to go to a Chinese specialty restaurant now that so many places are a mix of Asian cuisines. I had a Kung Pow chicken dish that was so flavorful I'm thinking of going back again this weekend! Just spicy enough, loaded with peanuts. My friend loved her shrimp and scallops in a chili-ish sauce. And my daughter, who eats pad Thai wherever she can, was surprised to find it in such a Szechuan Cantonese menu but she pronounced it excellent. The interior is as pretty and modern as ever. Few were dining at 8 on a Monday night, and the service was a little off considering we were practically the only people there, but I was glad to be back!

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Pawtucket, Rhode Island
“A Chinese Restaurant That Elicits Memories of Childhood Chinese Restaurants!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

The food is classic Chinese, plentiful and very well prepared, the wait staff are experienced and polite! The atmosphere is old fashioned and spacious, it is easy to have conversation at either booths or tables. Have never felt rushed there.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank AvaW459
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
“Potsticker Heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

My first evaluation of a Chinese restaurant is always the hot sour soup. Is it hot? Is it sour? is it gummy with cornstarch? Do I wish for a second bowl? China Inn: Yes! Yes! No. Yes!! And then there are the potstickers... One side crispy, the other side softly steamy, and the inside hot with ground pork and maybe some green onions. Then add in the scallion pancake, I am just in hog heaven!

• Visited April 2013
Pawtucket, Rhode Island, United States
“Used to be great, now just good food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Recently went in for take out. Quality of food has dropped, but is still good. Wouldn't recommend their lo-Mein, was the worst I've ever had but the rest of the order was very good.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Numb1Hawk
Barrington, Rhode Island, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Stale noodles”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

Visited yesterday after a long absence. Our server gave us the thick, crispy noodles with sweet sauce for dipping, which is their complimentary signature "appetizer." The noodles were stale! When we informed our server, he said, "Don't eat them! They're free! That's all we got!" I was shocked by his attitude and answer! So, because they're free, they can serve them to their customers regardless of freshness?? I don't think the Health Department would agree. The food we ordered was OK, not great. Loaded with MSG. I don't think we will be back.

Visited January 2013