“Good days, bad days”
Review of Slater Mill Museum

Slater Mill Museum
Ranked #2 of 21 things to do in Pawtucket
More attraction details
Owner description: A National Historic Landmark, the Slater Mill is a living history museum and educational center.
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We visited a few years ago and had a very fascinating and informative tour by a young lady. We went a second time recently and found the national park service has taken over tours. Well we enoyed the park Service at Lowell(MA) mill town, and expected this would be OK for Slater mill too. But what a big disappointment. The guides read notes, stayed in each place way too long, not adding signiiant conversation but just hanging around waiting for "more questions". We walked out after an hour or more, having seen less than 1/2 the mill.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

I went to Slater Mill with my 2 teenage boys. We were all impressed with the knowledge and the enthusiasm of our tour guide. He was awesome! He made it fun for my boys and kept them interested. If you decide to take a tour try to do it on a day that isn't too hot. It gets very stuffy in the mill and can make it unpleasant. They also have a gift shop with things you won't find in most areas.

1  Thank bluuuskies
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Slater mill is nestled in historic Pawtucket. The museum is well cared for and there are many souvenires that can be purchased. The grounds around the museum are well kept and makes the whole experience a nice learning experience.

2  Thank Donna B
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Slater Mill is what makes the city of Pawtucket known from coast to coast. As the first Mill in the United States, Slater Mill Museum is working toward educating the world about Pawtucet's proud past.

2  Thank Alex P
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I should have attended the regular Slater Mill tour before going on the Ghost Tour. I was hoping to find out the importance of the mill to the textile industry and to this area of New England, in addition to any possible ghosts. The Ghost Tour was led by two guides, identical twin brothers, and an assistant. There were about 12 attendees, including 3-4 paranormal investigators. They used special equipment to try and prove the presence of spirits in three different buildings. If I was a fan of TAPS or Ghost Hunters I expect I would have been thrilled. As it was, the investigators seemed intrusive. The tour lasted about an hour and a half. In the dark, with only minimal lighting provided by glow sticks which were handed out at the start of the tour, footing could be tricky, especially treking down to basements and around dangerous machines on exhibit.

The grounds are beautiful and well kept. There was a great outdoor exhibit, with colored cables spanning the Blackstone River, imitating giant woven threads.

4  Thank OwnedByCatsInConn