“Enjoyable atmosphere and food. ”
Review of Carriage Inn & Saloon - CLOSED

Carriage Inn & Saloon
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Bel Air, Maryland
“Enjoyable atmosphere and food. ”
Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

Enjoyable atmosphere and very good food. A bit classier than a lot of places but shorts are still okay. The whiskey bar dates back to the 1700s, and the place is rumored to be "haunted". Indeed, it was even featured on Ghost Hunters. Former bordello. Recommended.

Narragansett, Rhode Island
“I want to like this place, really I do.”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

I want this place to do well as I recall it from its Old Acres days in the late 60's. It has potential with its nice interior stonework and real wood burning fireplaces. However, I found the food we had to be just average. My wife's caesar salad was bland and her calamari was soggy. I think the garlic butter poured over the calamari is a mistake. Hey, we take calamari seriously in RI.

My prime rib sliders were fine and I appreciate that you can order either two or four. The littlenecks on the half shell were well shucked in that they contained much of their juice and the clam itself was separated from the shell making slurping them down quite easy. My Belgian Ale draft was quite nice as well.

We will give it another try soon, maybe when the weather is not so nice so we can enjoy the fireplace.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank BigE02882
North Kingstown, Rhode Island
“Need another try”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Had dinner here last week for the first time. Sat at the bar and took a while to be waited on because though the bar was not full, the bartender was also waiting on tables. I have no problem waiting for this but the waits continued throughout our stay even though the manager popped in here and there and could see she was very busy. We ordered chicken wellington and a prime rib pizza which were both very good and our beers were cold when refilled.

The bartender appeared frazzled and though polite enough was not overly friendly. When one of the MANY fruit flies that were buzzing around landed in one of our drinks, I quietly addressed it with the bartender who explained to me, "they are hard to get rid of." Unacceptable for a restaurant to have any insects! She did give a new glass and filled the beer to the same spot on the glass, about 1/3 full and handed it back to us. I found this equally surprising. We left very soon after this.

Food was good, so I am willing to give it another try but if the flies and poor service continue, this place may not.

• Visited July 2014
West Greenwich, Rhode Island
“Carriage Inn is Back!”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

I was so glad to see the Carriage Inn is back again. I hadn't been in years and then it remained closed for so long. A friend and I met for lunch on a whim and sat at the bar. The bar area is very cool with stone walls and a great atmosphere. Fabulous bourbons and drinks as well as fun beer on tap (including Delrium Tremens, a favorite!). We decided to just share a few appetizers and ordered the Skinny Dippin' which was a hummus/spinach dip/carrot dip sampler with bread and veggies. It was a bit tasteless and I wouldn't order it again. We also shared the crab cakes and each had one - much better and had great flavor. We also shared a grilled pepperoni and onion pizza - perfect size to share and the onions were caramelized. Very good!

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Lori-Ellen S
North Kingstown, Rhode Island
“Satisfying Dining Experience”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Our party of five went for early dinner (5:30) this past Friday. We were seated quickly, and our waitress followed along with a sampling of crackers and cheese spread to nibble on while we perused the menu. We are not drinkers (one beer between us) so I cannot weigh in on drinks. Between us we had a pesto cream pasta dish, a chicken parm dish, prime rib, mixed grill, and crab cakes. All were served in a timely manner, and the waitress checked a couple of times to check on anything we might need. The prime rib (8oz, $14) was medium rare, and it was excellent. I had the yukon gold mashed, along with veg. of the day, yellow squash/zuchinni with the beef. All very good. The mixed grille included grilled chicken with shrimp on a skewer over risotto. The comment on the shrimp was that they were a bit dry, but everything else was very good. The other diners were quite satisfied with their dinners as well, especially the pasta with the pesto cream, that came with chicken. We all had side salads with the maple - balsamic dressing. Very good.
Bottom line, we are eager to return to try some of the other offerings.

• Visited June 2014