“Who's in charge here?”

Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
South Burlington, Vermont
“Who's in charge here?”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Went on a hot summer Sunday night, so not surprised by a wait for a table. But in waiting, we observed empty tables not being used, people waiting a long time for checks, staff standing at tables having long conversations with customers, drinks put up by the bartender and not picked up. We ended up waiting about half an hour for a table, even though there was just one party ahead of us. After being seated, we (and the other couple who was seated just ahead of us) waited another 20 minutes for service. A table of 8 nearby kept politely asking about the status of their dinners. "Another 3 minutes." "Just about to come out." After we ordered, it took half an hour for our food to come out. We actually had just pulled out enough cash to cover our drinks and were telling the hostess we were leaving when a server appeared with our dishes (well ahead of the other couple and the table of 8, whose meals were not "3 minutes" but about 23 minutes away). The food? Pretty good. But what a ridiculous experience. No managers watching a staff of mostly young kids and disinterested older staff. Money walking out the door.

1 Thank Leebur707

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Slow service, only okay food”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We arrived here for dinner on Saturday, July 6, without reservations. The hostess wasn't even around when we finally figured out the confusing entrance to the restaurant, and we waited 5 minutes for her. When she arrived, she didn't even tell us there was a wait or how long, she just asked for our name and how many. After we noticed there were tables outside, we had to search inside for the hostess to interrupt her drink at the bar to ask if we could seat ourselves - which she said was fine. There was a live band outside that made up for the hot temperatures. We sat down and waited another 5-10 minutes for our server to greet us. She seemed nice, but we obviously overwhelmed. We each ordered two beers because we could tell that we would not get refills quickly. She brought our drinks 15 minutes later, and we had to wait another 5 for her to take our order. We all ordered, and the food came out very slowly. The New England clam chowder and the clam cakes were great. For my entree, I had a single cull. I knew the price was too good to be true. It came out in a bowl with two sad red potatoes and an overcooked corn on the cob. There was no butter or salt and pepper on the table so I had to ask for it. The lobster was good and prepared well. We asked for the check as soon as we got our food. It took a while for us to finally close out our bill, and everyone was beyond ready to go. I don't know if we will be back.

1 Thank TravelingPalina
“We were seated in dining room at 3 pm July 4th”
Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

We were seated along with probably 10 other couples and groups. After 10 minutes an obnoxious server came and told everyone they had to wait in line in the bar because they were understaffed!

1 Thank Wjl8923
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Every time I come home”
Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Everytime I come home and visit I stop in here to enjoy some Rhode Island food.we always order little necks on the half shelf, soo good and follow up with a seafood pasta that was good and plentiful and a surf and turf that was a little over cooked. I like this place but service is alittle slow.

• Visited June 2013
Providence, RI
“Poor service, mediocre food, dingy atmosphere.”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Duffy's has been around forever, and it shows. The atmosphere is dingy, dark, and dated. Despite the restaurant being almost empty, there was a line of people waiting for one of the dozen or so empty tables. The service was slow and inattentive, almost surly. Drinks took forever, and refills were definitely an afterthought. The buffalo wings were actually pretty good. We suck to mild, and they were still pretty zippy. One of my companions had the surf and turf, a sirloin steak with sauteed shrimp. The sirloin was OK, the shrimp was not. I had the baked stuffed shrimp. I never knew it could be served "blackened" but apparently I was wrong. Another diner had the pork chops. They were huge, but fatty and gristly.

I've read some of the other reviews and I don't understand how anyone could rate Duffy's more than "poor," but perhaps we were just there on an odd night, when neither the waitress nor the atmosphere nor the chef were at their best.

• Visited May 2013