“Credit card charged after reservation properly cancelled -no refund”

Budget Inn North Kingstown
Budget Inn North Kingstown
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in North Kingstown
Massachusetts
“Credit card charged after reservation properly cancelled -no refund”
Reviewed March 21, 2007

A reservation for this Hotel was made on Travelocity and later cancelled appropriately and accepted by Travelocity. However, the hotel later charged the credit card $153 for the stay (which never occurred). When Travelocity tried to contact the hotel about the charge, (after we called and were told we had to work throught Travelocity), the person who answered the phone was rude to the agent from Travelocity and hung up on him (according to the agent) and then immediate calls back were met with an answering machine. The next day, a different agent from Travelocity had no better luck.

Working with Travelocity takes a lot of time for each phone call and after contacting them on March 4 this year and sending information to them (fax) on March 5, followed up by numerous calls, we still have no resolution. I can not tell yet if we will. Unfortunately we did not discover the charge until I was reviewing credit card bills for taxes.

Beware of both companies.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled solo
3 Thank Bozwell2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Reviewed December 25, 2005

I made reservations for two nights at this motel fully expecting a "budget" room. But the motel is run down, and run by people who barely speak English. The small motel office serves as home to the manager and what I suppose is his family. The rooms are dirty, the linen stained, along with the towels. In order to get hot water the taps have to be opened for 10 minutes or so. We had a small dog with us, a Yorkshire terrier, and apparently management arbitrarily imposed a $50.00 "penalty" for having a dog, so the manager knocked on our door the morning after the first night's stay and demanded that I pay the penalty fee. I declined and left, deciding not to take advantage of the second night that I had paid for. So, in effect, he got his "penalty" fee. There's a bar/cafe located next door to the motel office. Perhaps the motel's main source of income comes late at night after this bar closes?? I think it should be put out of business. It's a disgrace.

• Stayed December 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 16, 2005

I would disregard the other reviews of this motel that have been posted; the picture they paint has little relation to the motel we stayed at in Sept. 2005. I get the impression the reviewers are either xenophobes (who cares about the ethnicity of the owners?) or perhaps have been put up to posting negative reviews to drum up business in more expensive motels nearby.

We brought two athletic teams to RI for competition in Newport and found this place well suited. Rooms were not fancy or polished but at these prices you can't expect the Ritz. Rooms and linens were clean. Phone didn't work in one room but we didn't care because we weren't planning to spend much time in the rooms anyway. The staff were very nice in bringing us extra towels and toilet paper when we initially didn't see where the extra rolls were. They were polite and friendly to us.

We visited the pretty little waterfront seaport town of Wickford
----------
nearby and were directed by locals to Duffy's Tavern and Restaurant
-------------
where we had some great seafood with the locals. It made up for not being able to stop at the Sea Swirl in Mystic
---------
on the way up!

• Stayed September 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 6, 2005

This hotel should be torn down. It sits beside a noisy tavern. The hotel itself is in a terrible state of disrepair. The room stunk, the sheets and towels were stained, the tub was full of hair and the floor dirty. If I didn't arrive so late I would have walked out despite losing my money.IT WAS THAT BAD. STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Connecticut
Reviewed July 3, 2005

I Made a reservation with this hotel and after seeing the review in Trip Advisor, we decided not to stay there. When I went to cancel my reservation, they hung up on me three times. I called my credit card company and they took care of the rest. These people are obviosly out to take your money. This is a place to stay far away from!

Stayed July 2005
3 Thank 944Guy
Reviewed July 7, 2003

This is a small "mom & pop" roadside motel run by foreigners who barely speak english.Upon arrival they attempted to immediately charge my credit card the full amount (over $400.00).This is really just a cheap motel where they try to gouge you.Posted signs say "no refunds","only 800 number phone calls",and "no alcohol drinking outside".Cleaning crew appears to be family members who are foreigners as well.I assume in some countries this would be a luxury hotel,but for this average American with his traveling family I just felt dirty & used.We were afraid to sleep in the beds. This is a good fleabag $29.00 motel,nothing more.Please look elsewhere. PS... A large skunk crosses the driveway about 930pm each night.Appropriate I'd say.

33 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#1 of 3 in West Warwick
Hampton Inn Coventry-Warwick Area

Been to Budget Inn North Kingstown? Share your experiences!