“Great casual spot with good food and good service”

Sonoma Bistro & WineBar
Cuisines: American, Gastropub, Wine Bar
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Our menu both intrigues and comforts with an interesting blend of rustic classics and purely creative dishes. Stylish but unpretentious, Our pub and wine bar offers a lively setting perfect for fun cocktails after work. With 36 drafts on tap, over 25 wines by the glass and many creative cocktails there is no lack of choices. Oh! don't forget live music on Friday and Saturday nights including 7 flat screens for your sporting needs. Our dining rooms are perfect for an intimate dinner or a gathering place for family and friends. For larger parties we have several elegant private rooms accommodating up to 140 people.
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Sonoma Grille is an oasis in the Sahara which is North Kingstown dining. I've passed it many times and always seen the crowded parking lot, and finally stopped by for dinner last night. The ambiance is quite nice, unpretentious, but airy, clean, and well-maintained. I might describe it as a "high end family restaurant." Their vodka selection topped out at Ciroc, which is better than average, if not top-of-the-line. The martini was well-prepared, with just the right amount of cranberry and cold enough so that ice crystals formed in the glass. The perfect drink. We had the margherita pizza as an appetizer. It was quite good, with a thin, crisp crust and not too many tomatoes. I had the chicken parm, served over a bed of penne. It's difficult to screw up chicken parm, but it is easy to screw up the accompanying pasta. This had just a tad of al dente about it, which is, to my taste, perfect. The sauce was light, much better than the typical heavy tomato sauce one often finds. My dining companion had the house salad with steak medallions, which looked fantastic and apparently tasted so as well.

The service was cheery and prompt, as if our waitress was actually glad to see us and appreciated our patronage. The meal was served speedily, but we certainly didn't feel rushed.

Don't get me wrong, Sonoma Grille isn't going to compete with the restaurants in Providence, but it sure does shine among the local establishments.

1  Thank sailwtmeri

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were taking a long weekend for a Newport Mansion Tour and decided to stay on the Kingstown side of the bridge to save a few dollars. Sonoma was right down the street from our hotel, so we thought we would give it a try. Firstly, I am a beer drinker, so I loved the place. They have at least a dozen beers on tap, and they are all great beers. I had three different beers and all were fresh kegs; nothing was flat. My wife and my son's girlfriend are wine drinkers and they were satisfied with their choices. Out of the four of us, we had two fish dishes and two meat dishes. Every dish was well prepared and very tasty. We took turn sharing bites. The gal who waited on us was very good. (I wish I could remember her name) She had worked there a while and was able to describe each entree with expert precision as we made our entree choices. We stayed a little after the dinner hour to chat, and they left us alone in our booth while periodically asking if we wanted another round. It was nice not to be hurried out the door. For four of us with drinks I think it was about $180 with a 25% tip and I would say it was well worth it.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

I've eaten here three times over about 4 or 5 years. The first time was awful, both food and service. Several years later we went back at the suggestion of some friends and it was pretty good. Went back with the same friends last night and it was horrendous. We both would have sent our food back if we weren't with friends who recommended the place. I paid 18 dollars for old, overcooked scallops suffocated in a bunch of breading. I would have been better off eating something from the frozen food section of the supermarket, it was honestly that bad. The service was there when you didn't need it and not there when you did. I wouldn't even go back for a free dinner, it was that bad.

1  Thank BC-7
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Good place to go for a night out. Food is very good and the new owners have added a few new things to the menu which I can't wait to try. The beer selection is one of the best in town.

Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Visited for lunch and found the restaurant to be active, with no wait. There was a nice Tuscan motif with some light jazz music playing in the background.

I ordered from the specials menu - and found the pasta primavera to be fresh and flavorful. The service was attentive - even modifying a beer selection when they found they had stocked a beer we preferred over the one we ordered.

There is a separate bar area, with lots of large screen TVs and an attached billboards room. It definitely seems to be evolving into a great place to socialize for all ages! Try the zesty lemon garlic chicken wings for a quick pick-me-up! Definitely will return!