“Mixed Experience”
Review of Blueberry Cove Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Narragansett
Blueberry Cove Inn
Ranked #6 of 10 Narragansett B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Mixed Experience”
Reviewed November 5, 2009

My wife and I were staying at the Blueberry Cove while attending a wedding in Narragansett. The room was pretty and the amenities were fine. Seely, one of the innkeepers, was a pleasure. She was very gracious and accomodating.

Two serious problems, however, prevent a good review and mean that we will not be staying in the Blueberry Cove again. First, the other innkeeper was very rude. Even when serving breakfast he was short and brusk with everyone. Some members of our party were staying an extra day and after some of us checked out, we continued visiting for about 1/2 an hour with the remaining group. During that period he was especially rude, telling us that as we had checked out we had to understand that we were no longer welcome. This is despite the fact that I had explicitly cleared our activities (such as continuing to use the bathroom) with Seely. His rudeness, especially upon our leaving, left a bad taste in my mouth all the way back to Boston.

The second problem was the breakfast. They were boring and without any choices. While they were well made, they were not up to the general standard I have been led to expect from a B&B. I understand that it is better to have something made to order than have a buffet, but with only one selection made available each morning it leaves no room at all for personal preference. I'm not expecting a restaurant menu, but would two items to choose from be too much trouble? Perhaps the kitchen would have been willing to make alternate arrangements, but that fact was never communicated to our group and we thought it might be rude to ask.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chi_Trips
InnkeeperSeely, owner at Blueberry Cove Inn, responded to this review, November 15, 2009
Although it is good to hear your positive comments I am sorry you had a bad experience.

I wished the guest had asked about breakfast choices. For 10 years, as noted on our web site, our breakfast policy has been that we pick the menu but guests pick the time to eat (between 8 and 10). With a tiny kitchen and the two of us providing all services to 16 to 20 guests a day this is unlikely to change. We will make provisions for special diets, allergies etc. if given advance notice. Every B&B has its own style of breakfast. I would encourage all travelers to explore this issue before they make a reservation at any property.

Innkeeper rudeness is unacceptable. The group stayed in the living room for 2 hours after check out. They were welcome to stay but were told that they did not have access to the rooms as we needed to prepare for in-coming guests. (Seven rooms checked out, five were coming in.) The group agreed to use the first floor suite bath. Due to innkeeper miscommunication I allowed a guest back upstairs. Dave was rude to the guest. It should have been handled better. We screwed up as humans and as professionals.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
New York State
Reviewed October 17, 2009

We have been "B&B-ing" around New England and found this to be one of our favorites. Great location, lovely decorating (elegant, yet comfortable) and surprisingly comfortable bed! If you have aches and pains, this is the place to sleep. Excellent mattresses...was the best I had slept in several days, having been at several inns.

The Blueberry Cove caters to the comfort and convenience of their guests, even keeping umbrellas and beach towels at the front door and a large refridgerator on the second floor. Our room faced the street, but was quiet.

Went to the beach early to see the most beautiful sunrise, came back to some of the best scrambled eggs ever tasted. Very nice stay, plan to return.

Dinner was at Casey's, an Irish pub with nice atmosphere, a good selection of non-fried food, tasty homemade soup. Avoid the marinara: had it on a side and although it is homemade, it is unremarkable. Go elsewhere if you'd like Italian, but otherwise, liked the restaurant.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Imijis
Connecticut
Reviewed August 9, 2009

I just returned home from a girls weekend getaway. My girlfriend and I stayed at the Blueberry Cove for the first time last August and loved it. We returned again for our second annual long weekend away. Dave and Seeley the owners are so friendly and attentive. I read a review about them not engaging in conversation with their guests during breakfast time which seems so far from the truth. Seeley is very charming, witty and attentive and Dave is just so genuinely sweet! The Inn is truly in such a great location...it is close to everything and a few minute drive to Scarborough beach. It is just a beautiful location and sitting on the front porch is so relaxing as the area is truly lovely. Dave provided us with a great restaurant recommendation and called in the reservation for us; and it was one of the best meals I have had in a very long time (Cheeky Monkey)!! We stayed in a different room this year but like last year loved it just the same. We chose one on the third floor (Seashell room) with a bathroom. The room was very cozy and what a wonderful cross breeze, I don't think we turned on the AC. Our room was very clean and the linens etc were just what they needed to be. The room was decorated very cute with nick nacks and yes many 'seashells'!!
I think their breakfasts are outstanding!! We stayed three nights with them and had three very tasty and filling breakfasts. The eggs florentine were delicious but hands down the Coconut Almond french toast was the winner for the weekend!!
I would without hesitation stay at the Blueberry Cove next year also. There is no reason to look elsewhere as far as I am concerned. Oh, and the rates are so reasonable!!!
Thank you for opening your home to us!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
CT
Reviewed July 31, 2009

My husband and I have a wonderful history of Bed and Breakfast stays in the Narragansett area. I have been in the travel industry as a consultant for 25 years. We look forward to this vacation with two things in mind.,...the bedroom needs to have a sense of romanece & quality and the breakfast needs to be innovative & memorable. . In the Blueberry Cove Inn we did not find either to be anything close to our expectations. We stayed in the Meadow room , king size bed and a private bathroom down the hall ...the headboard was loosely attached to the bed frame, and every aspect of the building was decades beyond care and repair. Tthe bedding(sheets to covers) was certainly not the quality you would expect of a first rate B&B. We have always enjoyed the early evening as a time for couples to relax & un-wind... but there was no where to retreat....the front porch was UNINVITING with plastic chairs and dirty tables.

Owning and operating a B&B in New England is full of antiques and surprises....but this B&B is just tired, un-kept, and past its prime. Curtains are dirty and things just do not evoke a sense of attention and care.

As far as breakfast...........don't even bother......very bland and lacking quality. We founed the inn keepers do not have the personality to engage guests in conversation during breakfast or upon departure.

Web site looks good...Don't believe it!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
InnkeeperSeely, owner at Blueberry Cove Inn, responded to this review, August 4, 2009
The best gift a guest can give to an innkeeper is honest feedback on conditions we may have overlooked. This is why we are constantly asking guest if things are OK in the room or if there is anything we can do for them.

We wish this guest had brought her concerns to our attention during her stay, rather than in a review quite a few days later.

We have addressed her issues in the Meadow room. We didn't realize that the headboard was wobbly and apologize to any other guest that may have experienced the problem.

I'm sorry that the porch furniture was a disappointment. Salt air is brutal on anything metal hence the plastic chairs. With our very rainy July we weren't keeping up with the porch cleaning as well as we should have and have instituted a new system to avoid a very fixable problem in the future.

The house is 139 years old. The plaster has character cracks, the floors have gentle slopes, and is it constantly being improved. It will never reach cosmetic perfection. With affordable rates from $150 (her nightly rate) to $225 only four blocks from the ocean I hope no one expects accommodations to rival an upscale, romantic Newport or mansion-style B&B.

We serve a "hearty, traditional breakfast" (as described on our web site). When we are cooking and serving 16 people breakfast we may not have time to facilitate conversations during breakfast - which also coincides with check-out. Guests usually chat among themselves without prompting. We're sorry she felt slighted.

My apologies to any other guest who feels he or she experienced any of these issues. Please, if anyone decides to stay with us after this review, let us know if you have issues. I can't make your vacation better after you have checked out.
New Jersey
Reviewed July 7, 2009

This was my boyfriend and I's first stay at a bed and breakfast and it was amazing! We stayed in the Glen Room (which wasn't my first choice, but quickly after sneaking into other rooms when the people left them hehehe became my favorite pick). The room wasn't too small for us, on the top floor and had AMPLE cross ventalation and was so clean I was afraid to make it dirty.

I was nervous that our bathroom was not in the room, but it turned out perfectly. The bathroom was good, sometimes a little small for two people but again so clean it didn't matter. Nobody was really out and about so nobody got to see us in towels (another benefit of the third floor). In case the room did get hot, there was air conditioning, however we didn't use it.

The breakfast was amazing, french toast made with coconut milk, eggs florentine, all in all a great trip. We loved it so much we booked another stay!

There is no curfew either, which is great, come and go as you please!

So you know, if you are one of those snotty types that are only staying here because you can't stay in Newport because Newport is $500 a night, save your money b/c you are too stupid to travel anyway. For everyone else, this place is great!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
TN
Reviewed March 11, 2009

My husband, Siser & I stayed here & LOVED it! The apartment was PERFECT for the 3 of us with plenty of room & a great fire place in the living room that we lit every night! We had our own parking area & own door for the apartment, which we all really appreciated. It's also located on a very quiet street. The breakfasts were the BEST I have EVER had at a B&B & I personally felt very spoiled with the selection of what we ate. The hosts were very accomodating, funny, down to earth & great to talk with. My Sister & I decided to stay a few days extra than what we planned, so we moved into 1 of the main rooms of the Inn & it was furnished with lighthouse lamps & old leaded glass over the doorways. The attention to detail that the hosts have given to this Inn make it very charming & unique! See the attached pictures I took of the apartment & I threw in one I took while we were at the beach on Thanksgiving Day! :O)

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
New Hampshire
Reviewed February 12, 2009

As a student at URI, I actually rented a room in this B&B, and loved it so much, I came back as a guest four years later! The owners are continually updating the rooms, so it was neat to see what had changed. We stayed in the Lighthouse Room, which was cozy and comfortable with the electric fireplace and the whirlpool tub. The food was outstanding...the apple starter was amazing and the coconut french toast was so yummy! Our server was very attentive and ready to serve us seconds. The location is perfect a few blocks from Narragansett Beach and lots of restaurants nearby. This is also a great place for parents of URI students to stay while visiting. Great stay...I asked my companion "When can we come back?"!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Narragansett
Aqua Blue Hotel
#2 of 2 in South Kingstown
Pleasant View Inn
Pleasant View Inn
#2 of 6 in Misquamicut

Been to Blueberry Cove Inn? Share your experiences!