“If you're desperate for a place to sleep...”
Review of Ocean Rose Inn

Ocean Rose Inn
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Narragansett
Reviewed August 11, 2008

We stayed here for a wedding nearby. We hit a lot of traffic, so we were running late, with minimal time to spare when we checked in.

First thing we do is find a dark room where the lights don't work. They provided two dim lamps, one which would not turn on. The hotel staff didn't bother to plug the second one in. We had to strain ourselves to yank out a large heavy dresser with a heavy tube TV on it to plug it in so we could get dressed without the curtains open.

First thing we saw that was missing was an iron and ironing board. I searched for a closet, where normal hotels/motels keep them only to find a bar on wheels in the corner of the room to hang your clothes on.

Next we noticed there was no blow drier. I tried to pack light and have never in my life been at a hotel, no matter how shabby or low cost that didn't have one. We call the front desk, which gave us a barely operational iron, but no blow drier. They seemed annoyed that we even asked. They told us to go to the store and buy one. We had no time for this. Luckily, someone else staying there for the same wedding had one that we were able to borrow.

When we went to shower the first thought in our minds was a flash back from college dorm showers... something dirty and gross that you don't want to step into without flip-flops on. The mold on all of the tiles from about a foot from the floor down was disgusting.

After we showered and hurried to get ready, already wasting time having to make trips to the front desk to get an iron that should have been provided with the room and running around searching for a hairdryer, we tried to get ready. Five minutes into this, the power to the room went off, including the phones. I ended up doing my hair kneeling on the floor in someone else’s room. I say the floor, because there were no outlets in the bathrooms and the only available plug was near floor and under the table by the door. Before we left for the wedding, we walked to the front desk and they seemed annoyed that they had to go to the breaker box to restore the electricity to our room.

Somehow we got the wedding on time and were dressed and ready, but they Inn's accommodations and staff were both unhelpful and unfriendly.

The bed itself was ok, but the pillows were uncomfortable and there weren't enough.

If you are looking for anything other than a place to sleep, then I highly suggest you go elsewhere. It has an excellent location on the water, which has got to be the only reason why it is still open. The accommodations and customer service are terrible.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank likesthebeach8
sknri, mananger at Ocean Rose Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2009

The Inn has been renovated and updated since your comments in 2008. We take great pride in our Inn and strive to resolve any issues as quick as possible to ensure that this does not occur again. I would like to that you for your comments and suggestions; they tell us what we are doing right and ways to improve. Your comments are genuinely appreciated and the issues raised have been addressed.

Reviewed August 8, 2008

the "annex" was straight out of the 1950s without any of the good stuff. the room smelled musty and moldy. the bedspreads were old and dirty. the flat pillows were impossible to sleep with. we had to ball up clothes to use as pillows. the office did bring us two new batteries for the broken tv remote but they were otherwise less than friendly. the bathroom shower curtain stuck to you if you took a shower. no microwave, refrigerator, clock or any frills. basically a run down motel with a great location.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank mmwelsh
sknri, manager at Ocean Rose Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2009

The Inn has since been updated and renovated since yor comments in 2008. We take great pride in our Inn and strive to resolve any issues as quick as possible to ensure that this does not occur again. I would like to that you for your comments and suggestions; they tell us what we are doing right and ways to improve. Your comments are genuinely appreciated and the issues raised have been addressed.

Reviewed July 14, 2008

Had an early flight out of Providence so we drove down the coast from Boston the day before and since it was a Monday figured we could probably find a place near the beach to spend the night somewhere closer to the airport. Love the Narragansett beach area and although there looked to be lots of lodging options, we liked the look of the Ocean Rose Inn. We got a good rate and a nice room in the motel. Room was neat and clean with two queen beds, cable tv, small shower and coffee maker (which we couldn't use because it had a 3-prong plug without an adapter and the receptacles were all 2 prong). The room smelled a little musty (as most all beach side places seem to) but it aired out nicely once we turned the AC on and left the door open for awhile. The place was quiet despite the restaurant kitchen being right across the parking lot. Beds were very comfortable. The "Turtle Soup" restaurant on-site was excellent. Great food, great prices! Would definitely stay here again for a one night stop over, but probably would look elsewhere for a longer vacation visit to the area.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank H&H-Hacienda
Reviewed May 22, 2008

I was in the Narragansett area for work and decided to mix it up a bit by staying at the Ocean Rose Inn. I had previously eaten at the restaurant and was impressed and I thought the inn looked wonderful.

My room was not in the inn, but in the motel style building in the back. Now, where to start. The room was clean, though out-dated. It was also lacking some major conveniences, like a hairdryer, an iron/ironing board, and clock

Here's my gripe. Their website advertises internet service, alarm clock, iron and ironing board, a coffee maker---along with other typical room amenities. Ok, yes, there was a coffee maker but it had a three-pronged plug. The only plug in the whole room that accommodated a three-pronged plug was in the bathroom. So I had to carry the coffee maker into the bathroom, place the maker on the floor to make coffee. It was silly.

Next I got out my computer thinking I could get a little work done. I searched for an internet signal and didn't find anything that was not locked. I called over to the front desk (who acted like I was putting them out when I walked in to check in) and asked if they offered internet access. The woman who answered said no, but the library down the street did (please note that the library has computers connected to the internet that you can use but they do not provide access for your personal computer). I told her that their website advertised internet access and she replied that the website was obviously wrong...

Overall, this inn is in a great location (across from the ocean, short walk to everything). As I previously said, the rooms are clean, there are just no frills. The walls are thin so I can imagine that during the busy summertime you could find it difficult to sleep if you have noisy neighbors. The people at the front desk are grumpy (even if you are friendly to them) so just don't expect a lot from them. The restaurant, Turtle Soup, has a great bar (stick with the small plates menu) though I must admit that the quality of the entrees has gone down since my previous two visits two years ago.

Finally, I just wanted to mention that I had unreliable and spotty cell service (Verizon) around Narragansett. Just something I like to know when I am traveling to an area.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank TravelingZen
Reviewed September 18, 2007

Should have seen it coming - 50% down with 14 day cancellation policy, followed by the full balance due upon check in. And we booked in advance for four nights.

Although the inn looks attractive, beware -- rooms in the adjoining motel is pure 1950s and ours appeared to have been last maintained at that time. The room lacked certain basics - like an alarm clock, iron/ironing board and hairdrier. The electrical outlets don't hold device plugs. And the staff didn't seem to care - did not respond to phone calls from the room, and were indifferent when approached directly. When asked for an iron, we were given one that did not work.

On the up-side, we did have a view of the ocean across the parking lot, and the king-sized bed was comfortable.

Although the view of the ocean from the inn's dining room is very attractive, we decided early on not to give any more patronage to this business. There are many other establishments nearby.

Overpriced and best avoided.

Stayed: September 2007
4  Thank Jshrcougar

The Inn has long been reonvated and updated since your comments of 2007. We take great pride in our Inn and strive to resolve any issues as quick as possible to ensure that this does not occur again. I would like to that you for your comments and suggestions; they tell us what we are doing right and ways to improve. Your comments are genuinely appreciated and the issues raised have been addressed.

Reviewed September 4, 2007

I believe the Ocean Rose Inn purposefully has only the Inn pictured in their ads online and in their brochure. The Inn is lovely and well-appointed with nice, fluffy beds.

The motel, where we stayed, became a matter to laugh at since there was nothing else we could do. There are no plugs in the bathrooms, so we had to dry our hair wherever we could find a plug; the screen door fell off and although it was reported, never put back on; the curtains were hanging from one or two hooks; their was no soap unless it was requested.

So, this is my advice: stay at the Inn ( their restaurant is incredibly good and the location is superb), but avoid the motel section at all costs.

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank hollygolightlyMI

The Inn has long been updated and renovated since your comments of 2007. We take great pride in our Inn and strive to resolve any issues as quick as possible to ensure that this does not occur again. I would like to that you for your comments and suggestions; they tell us what we are doing right and ways to improve. Your comments are genuinely appreciated and the issues raised have been addressed.

Reviewed June 12, 2007

This hotel was just OK. The room was average size. There was a clinking noise coming from the bathroom pipes every two minutes throughout the night. There was only a very sheer curtain over the window, making the room very bright in the morning. When we checked in, it seemed like we were an inconvenience to the woman working the front desk. She wasn't too friendly. It was within walking distance to a lot if things, which was nice. When I needed to find an ice machine, I couldn't find a directory or one in any of the three floors in the inn. After about five minutes of waiting for someone at the front desk, I asked someone at the restaurant who found someone from the hotel to tell me that the ice machine was around back of the inn. When I got there, it was right next to a huge pile of cigarette butts, which smelled like one had recently been put out. The only other decent thing that I could say about this place was that the restaurant in the hotel was pretty good. Would I stay here again, no. Would I recommend it to someone to stay at, no, I'd recommend a hotel in Newport instead.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank RedSoxRox
Also consider these accommodations in or near Narragansett
The Break
Pleasant View Inn
Pleasant View Inn
#2 of 6 in Misquamicut
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina

Been to Ocean Rose Inn? Share your experiences!