“Good Value”
Review of Ocean Rose Inn

Ocean Rose Inn
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Narragansett
Reviewed July 14, 2008

Had an early flight out of Providence so we drove down the coast from Boston the day before and since it was a Monday figured we could probably find a place near the beach to spend the night somewhere closer to the airport. Love the Narragansett beach area and although there looked to be lots of lodging options, we liked the look of the Ocean Rose Inn. We got a good rate and a nice room in the motel. Room was neat and clean with two queen beds, cable tv, small shower and coffee maker (which we couldn't use because it had a 3-prong plug without an adapter and the receptacles were all 2 prong). The room smelled a little musty (as most all beach side places seem to) but it aired out nicely once we turned the AC on and left the door open for awhile. The place was quiet despite the restaurant kitchen being right across the parking lot. Beds were very comfortable. The "Turtle Soup" restaurant on-site was excellent. Great food, great prices! Would definitely stay here again for a one night stop over, but probably would look elsewhere for a longer vacation visit to the area.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank H&H-Hacienda

Reviewed May 22, 2008

I was in the Narragansett area for work and decided to mix it up a bit by staying at the Ocean Rose Inn. I had previously eaten at the restaurant and was impressed and I thought the inn looked wonderful.

My room was not in the inn, but in the motel style building in the back. Now, where to start. The room was clean, though out-dated. It was also lacking some major conveniences, like a hairdryer, an iron/ironing board, and clock

Here's my gripe. Their website advertises internet service, alarm clock, iron and ironing board, a coffee maker---along with other typical room amenities. Ok, yes, there was a coffee maker but it had a three-pronged plug. The only plug in the whole room that accommodated a three-pronged plug was in the bathroom. So I had to carry the coffee maker into the bathroom, place the maker on the floor to make coffee. It was silly.

Next I got out my computer thinking I could get a little work done. I searched for an internet signal and didn't find anything that was not locked. I called over to the front desk (who acted like I was putting them out when I walked in to check in) and asked if they offered internet access. The woman who answered said no, but the library down the street did (please note that the library has computers connected to the internet that you can use but they do not provide access for your personal computer). I told her that their website advertised internet access and she replied that the website was obviously wrong...

Overall, this inn is in a great location (across from the ocean, short walk to everything). As I previously said, the rooms are clean, there are just no frills. The walls are thin so I can imagine that during the busy summertime you could find it difficult to sleep if you have noisy neighbors. The people at the front desk are grumpy (even if you are friendly to them) so just don't expect a lot from them. The restaurant, Turtle Soup, has a great bar (stick with the small plates menu) though I must admit that the quality of the entrees has gone down since my previous two visits two years ago.

Finally, I just wanted to mention that I had unreliable and spotty cell service (Verizon) around Narragansett. Just something I like to know when I am traveling to an area.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank TravelingZen
Reviewed September 18, 2007

Should have seen it coming - 50% down with 14 day cancellation policy, followed by the full balance due upon check in. And we booked in advance for four nights.

Although the inn looks attractive, beware -- rooms in the adjoining motel is pure 1950s and ours appeared to have been last maintained at that time. The room lacked certain basics - like an alarm clock, iron/ironing board and hairdrier. The electrical outlets don't hold device plugs. And the staff didn't seem to care - did not respond to phone calls from the room, and were indifferent when approached directly. When asked for an iron, we were given one that did not work.

On the up-side, we did have a view of the ocean across the parking lot, and the king-sized bed was comfortable.

Although the view of the ocean from the inn's dining room is very attractive, we decided early on not to give any more patronage to this business. There are many other establishments nearby.

Overpriced and best avoided.

Stayed: September 2007
4  Thank Jshrcougar
sknri, manager at Ocean Rose Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2009

The Inn has long been reonvated and updated since your comments of 2007. We take great pride in our Inn and strive to resolve any issues as quick as possible to ensure that this does not occur again. I would like to that you for your comments and suggestions; they tell us what we are doing right and ways to improve. Your comments are genuinely appreciated and the issues raised have been addressed.

Reviewed September 4, 2007

I believe the Ocean Rose Inn purposefully has only the Inn pictured in their ads online and in their brochure. The Inn is lovely and well-appointed with nice, fluffy beds.

The motel, where we stayed, became a matter to laugh at since there was nothing else we could do. There are no plugs in the bathrooms, so we had to dry our hair wherever we could find a plug; the screen door fell off and although it was reported, never put back on; the curtains were hanging from one or two hooks; their was no soap unless it was requested.

So, this is my advice: stay at the Inn ( their restaurant is incredibly good and the location is superb), but avoid the motel section at all costs.

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank hollygolightlyMI

The Inn has long been updated and renovated since your comments of 2007. We take great pride in our Inn and strive to resolve any issues as quick as possible to ensure that this does not occur again. I would like to that you for your comments and suggestions; they tell us what we are doing right and ways to improve. Your comments are genuinely appreciated and the issues raised have been addressed.

Reviewed June 12, 2007

This hotel was just OK. The room was average size. There was a clinking noise coming from the bathroom pipes every two minutes throughout the night. There was only a very sheer curtain over the window, making the room very bright in the morning. When we checked in, it seemed like we were an inconvenience to the woman working the front desk. She wasn't too friendly. It was within walking distance to a lot if things, which was nice. When I needed to find an ice machine, I couldn't find a directory or one in any of the three floors in the inn. After about five minutes of waiting for someone at the front desk, I asked someone at the restaurant who found someone from the hotel to tell me that the ice machine was around back of the inn. When I got there, it was right next to a huge pile of cigarette butts, which smelled like one had recently been put out. The only other decent thing that I could say about this place was that the restaurant in the hotel was pretty good. Would I stay here again, no. Would I recommend it to someone to stay at, no, I'd recommend a hotel in Newport instead.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank RedSoxRox
Reviewed October 14, 2006

I decided to write a review for this hotel as there weren't many recent ones on any Narragansett hotels when I was looking for information. We were attending a wedding in Narragansett and the Ocean Rose Inn was within walking distance. It is in the same old house that the Turtle Soup restaurant is in. We stayed in Room 41 and it was fine. It's nothing fancy but it was clean enough. We were originally in the room across the hall but there was no air conditioning so they let us switch. Since your basically in the attic of the house it gets very, very hot in the room even though it was freezing outside. Our room was large with a large king bed and comfortable linens. We had two wicker chairs, a tv and dresser. I probably had the biggest problem with our bathroom. The flooring was updated but you had to flush the toliet twice to get it to flush and there was a dingy toliet seat with a hole in it. There is very little lighting in the bathroom making it virtually impossible to put your makeup on and the shower very dark if you close the shower curtain. All in all if you are only going for a few nights and planning to stay very little in your room I would recommend. If i were staying for a week I'd want something a little plusher. It definitely doesn't seem worth the $440 we paid for two nights but I'm not sure any of the surrounding hotels are.
Also, we at the Turtle Soup for lunch one day (lobster ravoli and clam chowder) and it was great. We had breakfast at Danieli's (behind the Atlantic House) and it was great.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mmiller29
Reviewed August 17, 2006

We looked at two available rooms. One was behind the main building in a low rise. The room was clean, the bed was good but the room was dreary and the bathroom was barren, like a public restroom. There is also dumpsters somewhat close by so there may be an odor in the parking lot adjacent.

We also previewed the only room available in the house, room 39, third floor with an ocean view. No contest , we took this room as it was large, with a king bed and two chairs and a table in front of a big window that opened up wide and faced the ocean. The bathroom was small but well appointed. The room was very soundproof and clean.

Perhaps on a lower level the din of the traffic with windows open might be annoying. They also do not serve breakfast so it may be nice if they put a small refrigerator in these rooms.

I would return but be prepared to pay 200 plus for this room per night.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with friends
2  Thank sbcvulcan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Narragansett
The Break
Holiday Inn South Kingstown
Holiday Inn South Kingstown
#2 of 2 in South Kingstown
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina

Been to Ocean Rose Inn? Share your experiences!