“Great location but small rooms”
Review of Ocean Rose Inn

Ocean Rose Inn
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Narragansett
Reviewed August 29, 2013

There aren't that many options for staying in fairly affordable accommodations in RI's south county. This motel is a great location just across the street from the water (although Narragansett Beach is now $6/person and the inn provides no passes). We stayed in the motel part, behind the restaurant/inn building. The rooms are very small. We had 1 king bed. The bathroom has only a shower stall, which was a bit of a problem for us since our sandy little kids hate showers. If you are tall or more than 175 lbs. chances are you may not even FIT into the shower. But, all in all, it was a nice room, very good A/C, nice tv and great location.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Lisa8011, Manager at Ocean Rose Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thank you for letting us know that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations while staying with us. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Arrived at hotel early and went in to ask desk clerk if we could park our car in the lot since we would be checking in at 3pm...clerk said that was fine and then asked the maid if the room was ready ... it was and we were allowed to check in early free of charge 2.5 hours early. Room was very large, beautiful furniture, bed comfy and clean. (See pics) Felt safe and secure at this hotel and there are deadbolts on the hotel room doors. Never had the chance to eat at the Turtle Soup Restaurant in the hotel, but will say it was crowded for a Sunday night. All personnel at hotel were friendly and helpful. A/C worked ... very cold. Overall, we would stay again, but next time would ask for a room with a deck for the view and ocean breezes. Hotel is in walking distance to the village.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, ask for a room with a deck. We had Room #36 which is actually towards the back...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lisa8011, Manager at Ocean Rose Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Thank you for taking time to let us know of your wonderful experience with us. We are glad to hear we have met and exceeded your expectations.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

I have been staying at the Ocean Rose Inn for over 20 yrs. whenever I went to Narragansett. I've tried some of the other places and the Ocean Rose was by far the best....I said WAS. Over the years I've experienced several indicators that the Ocean Rose is sliding downhill. The first issue is that they automatically charge you half the cost of your stay when you make a reservation. This is against the merchant rules for MasterCard and Visa. I confirmed this with my credit card company and they told me they could intervene but that I might lose my reservation. At that point I spoke to the management of Ocean Rose and got a refund and kept my reservation as well...but not without a fight and them insisting that they ALWAYS do this and that every other place does it as well, but I've never experienced anyone else doing that but them. I told them that it is against their own merchants rules and that the credit card company backs me up on it. That's when they change their tune....but retained the bad attitude (probably because they know they are wrong and only getting away with it because people don't know it's not allowed). You can not charge for goods and services not provided. I made my reservation in May for an August stay. I am not paying for half of it in May. This battle went on for the last two times I stayed there.

This stay unfortunately is the last stay for me unless lots of improvements are made quickly. Our room was pitifully small (Rm# 20) and located in-between two very noisy families with young children. The neighbors above us must have been moving furniture for hours also because all we could hear was banging coupled with yelling and bumps/bangs on the walls from the other two families. It was misery in stereo! And that wasn't even the bad part.

When we got in the room we noticed a musty smell. We turned on the air conditioner to see if that would improve the smell. When we came back from dinner the smell was overwhelming! We called the front desk and they were more than happy to come out and spray a Febreez like mixture everywhere and spit out very well rehearsed excuses that involved everything but the fact that maintenance is not being done; upgrades are not being done; general deep cleaning is not being done and I strongly suspect filters are not changed in the air conditioners.

We tried to leave the windows open but there are no screens on them so bugs were able to get in and this was a ground floor room so it would be unsafe anyway to leave it open. It was also impossible to see through the windows as they were permanently mucked up in-between the panes and should be replaced. We ended up using a fan we brought with us, all night long and left the air conditioner off. We also noticed that there was more than one area of the ceiling that was bubbled out and had been painted over and was now beginning to flake off. It looked like the ceiling had been very wet and instead of doing proper maintenance they just painted over it. I'm willing to bet there is mold there also. One wall had some of that bubbled out and painted over look as well.

The room had a very small bathroom. Only one person fit in there at a time and you could barely turn around. There was a shower stall only and no pressure to speak of in the shower. We were left two towels; two washcloths and 1 already opened and slightly used roll of toilet paper...no spare. There was one very tiny sliver of a bar of soap and one equally small bottle of shampoo. There was a coffee maker that was the cheapest one I've ever seen in my life...all plastic; no coffee pot to it and made only one cup at a time, but the cups provided didn't hold up to the heat of the coffee. There was one very small garbage pail in the bathroom; none in the main room. No hair blower or iron and not even a box of tissues.

The beds had good sheets and blankets on them, all white so it was easy to check for dirt and/or bugs. I am happy to say none were found. The mattresses themselves were pathetic. Every movement in the bed created a jello-like effect that was very difficult to adjust to. The mattresses need to be replaced as do the lumpy soft pillows that were provided. I had to ball up my bathrobe and stuff it under the pillow to create any resemblance to a normal pillow.

The next morning we tried to get ice for our coolers before leaving but the ice machine just made a horrible clunking/thumping noise and would only produce a few chips of half melted ice cubes at a time. The area around the ice machine was full of garbage; standing stagnant pools of greenish water; old machinery, various bits of garbage and an odd smell. The dumpster out back was wide open in every area that could be open (this is the norm for them and has been looking like this for years!) and smelled very bad as well as having pieces of garbage strewn all around it in about a 3 foot area.

I said I've been coming to the Ocean Rose for many years. I've brought a lot of people there and recommended it to many of my friends. I don't believe that they will make the changes that are so desperately needed because I don't think they have the money needed to do it. And I've stuck in there with them for a long time because I understand that times are very tough and there may not be enough money to do the work that needs to be done. But so much of what was wrong on this stay was just plain negligence; filthy areas that are ignored; general maintenance that must be done and isn't being done and only young college kids available to assist with any problems.
I was charged $134 for this room and I got a room that was worth $50 tops. It's very sad to see a good place go down. But I also can't see how I can continue to go there with this level of escalating disappointment happening at every visit. So sad!

Room Tip: The restaurant "Turtle Soup" is good but stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
sknri, Manager at Ocean Rose Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your stay and that we are truly disappointed to hear of the issues you mentioned. We will definitely check into, review and address the issues you have raised with the management staff and take corrective action. I would like to clarify, and that it is not against our merchant policy to require a 50% deposit at the time of booking your room. We do not require that you prepay the entire stay ahead of time but that we do require a 50% deposit and balance is due upon check in. .

Reviewed August 13, 2013

If you are the type of person who expects these "seasonal" places to be the Marriot or Hilton, then you are for dissapointment instantly. What has to be expected from places like the Ocean Rose Inn at Narragansett is a nice, clean, cozy place where you can find friendly staff, get rest and enjoy what the area has to offer. This particular hotel is one of my favorites. My wife and I have been staying here for the past 3 years without a problem. The staff is friendly and we like the fact that is clean. I think that as long as they keep the place clean, it will always be welcomed. We stayed here during July 4th weekend at one of the main building rooms. The room was so big, it can pass for a small apartment. It was very very nice. As long as they keep the friendly staff and clean rooms, we'll continue to stay here.

Room Tip: The rooms in the main building are HUGE! a bit pricey but you won't complain about it once you t...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lbeni540

We are glad to hear that we have met and exceeded your expectations and you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to you visiting us again in the future.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed 5 nights at the Ocean Rose Inn. We had a great stay!!!!! View is fabulous and the staff is Excellent. Alison at the front desk to the cleaning ladies all A+. We stayed in the motel part and the room was fine for what we needed it for. Sleep and shower. Ocean Rose is in the perfect location to walk to many restaurants and shops. As well they have a nice restaurant and bar right there, so at times we never had to leave. We really had a nice time and look forward to retuning in the future.
Thank you to the staff.... Keep up the good work !!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank carlee2266
sknri, Manager at Ocean Rose Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

We are always glad to hear that we met and exceeded your expectations. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Despite a great view, the Ocean Rose was a disappointing destination. We were not welcomed by the desk clerk, just asked for our credit card. She did not show us to the room... Offered no help with luggage, and gave us the key to the wrong room! Even, with the correct key, getting into our room was an extreme challenge: the locks are so old that it usually failed to function. The television did not work nor the clock. A trash bag was left on a chair in the room after the room was "made-up." There is no functioning a/c in the public spaces, halls, etc., which is shared with a restaurant (under different ownership.) Rugs and hallways were filthy.
This is advertised as an inn, but no breakfast is available. Agree with another reviewer: even if this place were free, we would not return. It needs a big infusion of cash and staff trained in the hospitality business.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking time to let us know of your stay. Your comments and suggestions are taken quite seriously. It tells us what we are doing right and ways to improve.

We will review the issues you raised and taken action when necessary to ensure that it does not happen again in the future.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed over for two nights to attend a wedding in Narragansett. We had a room on the top floor of the main ("hotel") building. The room itself wasn't awful ... decently sized, with a walk-in closet (unlit). The hardwood floor wasn't particularly clean and I wasn't comfortable walking barefoot in the room. The bathroom was poorly laid out and difficult to use -- a small unlit shower and a toilet wedged between the shower and the wall. There was no vanity, just a pedestal sink and a small shelf under a mirror. The bed made up in height what it failed to provide in the way of restful sleep; I'm about 6'2" and had to hop slightly to get into bed.

At least we weren't in the "motel" section, which friends reported was *truly* disgusting ... but at these prices -- even with a premium for proximity to the ocean -- I expect a much higher level of cleanliness and comfort. Frankly, I'm disheartened to see that the Ocean Rose Inn ranks well in the grand scheme of Narragansett lodging. I wouldn't stay here again if it were free.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Rizzbert
sknri, Manager at Ocean Rose Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Thank you for taking time to let us know of your stay. We take all comments and suggestions quite seriously and I will review with our staff.
Doug Brady

Also consider these accommodations in or near Narragansett
Aqua Blue Hotel
Holiday Inn South Kingstown
#2 of 2 in South Kingstown
2 mi away
Hampton Inn South Kingstown - Newport Area

Been to Ocean Rose Inn? Share your experiences!