“The minimum”
Review of Ocean Rose Inn

Ocean Rose Inn
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Narragansett
Reviewed August 18, 2012

There are two distinct parts of this establishment; traditional luxury rooms in the main building and a 2-storey motel in the back. We stayed in the motel.
We made a reservation many months before but after reading the latest (terrible) reviews the day before we arrived, we almost cancelled. Nevertheless, we arrived and asked to see the room before checking-in. Our room (unit 22) was just OK.
Referring to previous reviews: the room was not dirty or musty, though it had a strong smell of disinfectant; all the bathroom fixtures were attached and working and there was plenty of hot water. One of the beds had a firm mattress; the other was soft.
One of the table lamps was unplugged and we had to move the bed slightly to find the outlet. The motel units are off the main street in a quieter location. During the night, when anyone flushed the toilet in other units, the pipes by our unit “gurgled” loudly enough to interrupt our sleep.
This minimalist motel was expensive ($119.) but still one-half the cost of other places in a very expensive location. There aren’t many good choices in the area. We would not stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KenMyrna
sknri, Manager at Ocean Rose Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to let us know that you found our Inn to be clean and in working order. Your comments and suggestions are taken quite seriously and we will check into the issues you had raised. We hope that you found your trip to Narragansett, RI to be enjoyable and were able to relax by the beaches just down the street.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

This small inn is right across the street from the ocean but not the actual beach area. There's lots of street parking but the motel parking is very tight. We had a room in the detached motel bldg. not in the actual inn/ restaurant bldg. The motel rooms are a lot cheaper but very clean! As expected the furnishings were very worn/dated.single small 50's pink tiled shower with no light lol The bedding was new and comfortable. The Tv was an ample flat screen but we never even turned it on.be prepared to haul your luggage up and down a full flight of outside deck stairs if your on the 2nd floor and your slider leads to a common shared upper porch deck so we kept curtains closed the whole time even though it was a nice view . I guess for the view location and very clean it was acceptable

• Stayed: August 2012
sknri, Manager at Ocean Rose Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2012

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay while visiting Narragansett, Rhode Island. We appreciate your comments and suggestions. Above all, we are glad to know that we met and exceeded your expectations in making sure that our Inn is clean and well kept. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

We were disappointed with our stay. The staff was friendly and helpful but our room was old, smelled like smoke and was not very clean. The furniture was dirty, the bathroom was tiny and clearly old with rusted faucets and it looked like it had not been swept in a while. There was a deck that looked out to the water but no chairs in our room and the ones we saw were broken and dirty. Parking is also a problem.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your stay while at the Ocean Rose Inn. Your comments and suggestions are taken quite seriously and we will certainly check into any issues that you mention to prevent them from happening again.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We thought that we were staying at the ocean rose inn and ended up in a motel room behind the inn. The beds were comfortable and that is it. The bathroom was in poor shape and very tight quarters. The sink was coming away from the wall, water was leaking from the pipes, the toilet seat was stained, and the shower was very small. I have had better accommodations at camp sights. We paid $200 a night and it offered nothing. ( No refigerator, no breakfast) Sleeping was difficult as the people above us were very noisey. This inn/motel was a BIG disappointment and way over priced. Shame on the owners for not taking a little more pride with their motel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank brenda m

I’m concerned about your recent visit at our facility and the impression you have of our Innl. I’m writing to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention.
We accommodate many guests each evening, and the principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to each at a reasonable price. Consequently, it’s disappointing to learn you’re unhappy with the hotel. Please accept my sincere apology. We appreciate your feedback and comments and suggestions. We will certainly check into the comments and make sure they don’t happen again.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Place initially looks very nice. However, the room (which had a nice view) needs major updating. First, THE BED was horrible! (See Pic) It was so old and saggy and we could not believe that they would actually allow anybody to sleep on it especially when paying such a high price for a one night stay. Also, since there is a restaurant downstairs directly in the lobby; the noise is extremely loud. If you are looking for a quiet place to stay this is NOT the place. Noise went on well into the early morning due to the bar outside and the restaurant staff cleaning up. Lastly, if you stay here plan on getting up early due to a hot water shortage. It took 5 mins for the water to even reach our room on the third floor and then I burned the living hell out of myself when it finally (surprisingly) came out of the faucet. Advice Look elsewhere....Advice to the Hotel Owners....MODERNIZE-START WITH THE HORRIBLE BED! It was so bad I pulled two chairs together and slept on them instead!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MIchael D

We appreciate your feedback and comments and suggestions. We certainly will check into the issues you mentioned in your review and rectify any situations that need to be. We take all comments seriously and thank you for your review.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

This is an attractive Inn. If you are looking for something nice, stay in one of the upatairs rooms in the Inn. These rooms are spacious with hardwood floors, new bathrooms and balcony. Otherwise the side building has the next best rooms, which are similiar to the back building but larger with high tray ceilings. Then the back building has average rooms which could use new carpet and a little freshening up. Overall a clean, decent place. There is a beautiful diningroom which overlooks the water and also nice outdoor porch and lawn.

Room Tip: If it fits your budget, I recommend the upstairs rooms in the main building.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maria r

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your wonderful stay while at the Ocean Rose Inn. We hope you enjoyed Narragansett and the wonderful beaches and restaurants.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

We arrived at the Ocean Rose Inn with not a little trepidation as some of the reviews on this site were really bad!. There are two different experiences at this Inn .I know this as a fact, as I was traveling with my two sisters, and my daughter, for a "Girls' Weekend". My sisters stayed in the 1950;s vintage motel in back of the Main Inn & that is what they got-including a musty odor that seemed to have survived the 50's!!!! There were two queen beds crammed into the room and a tiny bathroom-no hair dryer, etc. I think, at least, part of the probem is that the rooms do not get an airing out, being on the ground floor, etc.
However, my daughter and I stayed in the main building (second floor-room 34) thanks, in no small part, to my sister's generosity. The room was huge, ocean front with a little deck which had chaise lounges-would have preferred upgright chairs to see the view-however many people do appreciate a lounge for sunbathing. The room was light and airy with a very high ceiling, recalling the days of Victorian Inns where one went to cool off. pre-invention of air conditong It smelled fresh and clean, the ocean breeze was incredible. The room had both A/C, a ceiling fan and well screened windows & sliidng doors, so one could have either fresh air, A/C, fan, or any combination of above. Amenites included a mini-fridge-very cool, a hair dryer, shampoo, Kleenex, anda coffee Maker. I think most folks use their own personal care products,anyway, as they have unique preferences.
The king -size bed was beautifully carved and had a sumptuously soft mattress with a feather -bed type topping that i sunk into and found even more comfortable than my pillow top,firm mattress(at home) I did have some difficulty sleeping due to my allergies and I discovered the following morning that the pillows were a down/feather combination-unusual these days, as so many folks suffer allergies. After taking my allergy med, I did sleep very well.
The sheets were sparkling white and soft, and the room was very clean. The towels were very small, but clean.. (Of course, this room was about double the cost of the motel type room)
Ray who manned the front desk was polite and helpful. When I asked him about the pillows, he said that the pillows were put in the rooms randomly, so I am not sure if I had called down for a down aternative pillow, it would have been available.
The Ocean Rose Inn has a few idiosycrasies:
1) No bell hop/elevator service
2) There is no breakfast option at the Inn. There is good,fresh coffee in the lobby in the morning. It would have been nice to have muffins available. In fact, I have never stayed at an Inn, hotel, or B & B (& I have traveled, extensvely),where there was no minimal food available. On further inquiry, it develops that the Inn and the Restaurant ( does not take reservations) where we did not eat, but seemed to be very busy, are two distinct operations.
There are numerous other options in the area for breakfast and other meals. The restaurant does not serve lunch, either.
The parking was fine. I was concerned having traveled by car to Newport, in the past, in the summer, to an Inn, and then not having adequate parking available. We three sisters
arrived from different directions and thus had three cars which we were able to park in the Inn's lot, which is by no means huge.
3) There are no grounds to speak of for this Inn, other than the parking lot, as the front lawn is taken up by tables and chairs and a bar serving alcohol quite late with the result that people are out front, having a good time and making noise. directly below the front bedrooms.
4) I callled down about the noise at 1 AM and was told that according to "Narragansett Law", the revelers could stay on the front lawn premises until 1:20 AM. Ons solution is to close the door and windows and use the A/C which negates the beauty of receiving the sea air.
As I mentioned, there are a few indiosyncracies to be found here !!!!!
I would stay here, again, because of the beauty and convenience of the location. Narragansett is lovely and not over run with tourists-tho that may have been due to the fact that the weather forecast for the weeked was not great. We still got to enjoy the beach, surf, and all. Beach parking $15 across the street (Parking directy adjacent to the beach is by beach pass/permit only.
Also, be prepared to pay $6/head daily fee to walk onto the beach, in additon to parking.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank kerrylin

It is always wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay while at the Ocean Rose Inn. The view from the balcony deck is just simply amazing to say the least. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Doug Brady

Also consider these accommodations in or near Narragansett
The Break
Pleasant View Inn
Pleasant View Inn
#2 of 6 in Misquamicut
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina

Been to Ocean Rose Inn? Share your experiences!