“night in Hell”

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Narragansett
Boston, Massachusetts
“night in Hell”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

The website does not mention in great detail that there are two buildings. The INN in the front is beautiful, unfortunately we did not stay in the front INN, We got to stay in the back building. There are also no pictures of the back building on the Website, after staying there for a night, I now know why they do not post pictures. The first night I bushed my teeth in the tiny, gas station like bathroom, and the sink automatically clogged. The toilet was completely brown, inside and out.. and the word "HELL" was written in graffiti on the wall. ( "very charming"). It was also very hot and muggy in the room, so we put on the A/C unit. That A/C Banged, rattled, and shaked all night long! The A/C was so nosiey! I woke up every 15 mins to that sound of the extremely loud, ancient A/C system. To top it all off, my husband found a huge yellow stain in our sheets, and I found a black makeup stain on my section of the bed. We wondered if they even washed the sheets. This particular room was the worst hotel room I've ever stayed in! I got absolutely no sleep and I feel like I was in danger using their bathroom, and sleeping in the seemed to be unwashed beds! :(

Room Tip: Make sure You know your not in the back building!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Christina P
, Manager at Ocean Rose Inn, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
We accommodate many guests each evening, and the principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to each at a reasonable price. Consequently, it’s disappointing to learn you’re unhappy with the Inn. Please accept my sincere apology.

A hotel is defined by the quality of service that it provides to its guests.. Because our success is measured by how guests evaluate our service and facilities, I want you to know that your comments we received are taken quite seriously. They will tell us what we’re doing right and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Please be assured that the issues you have raised have been addressed, and that appropriate action has been taken. We take pride in our hotel, and do our best to prevent problems from reoccurring.
Sincerely
Doug Brady

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Southport, Connecticut
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Our 2nd stay. 1st time was 2nd fl rm 34 w balcony & loved the whole experience. Rates when up this season too!!
Excellent view! Charming inn but......
I believe “Julie” checked us in. She had difficulty in issuing my husband a receipt. We became aware of the fact that my husband and I were the ONLY guests staying in the main hotel that weekend and Julie didn’t even offer us an upgrade! We were quite surprised by that. Would it have been an inconvenience for the inn to offer a room on the 2nd floor with a balcony that lay unoccupied anyway?
We stayed in room 38 on the 3rd floor. We weren’t at all pleased with the room. It was stodgy. The toilet ran on and off the entire night. The bathroom window was stuck & wouldn't open. One of the other windows in our room had an air conditioner but was poorly affixed to the window leaving a fist sized hole allowing mosquitoes into the room.
The shower is tiny and cumbersome to move in. There isn’t even a small table, which the size of the bathroom could easily accommodate, where one might lay their toiletries, make-up, curling iron etc. The king sized bed sits on a noisy platform that allows for awkward movement making the bed unstable and uncomfortable. The fan was dusty so when we turned it on the dust/cob webs flew onto our bed linens. Overall the feel of the room looks shabby and could really use a fresh paint job and updated furniture.
The free coffee wasn't very good and you actually ran out of cream! It was just us after all. These things should be anticipated so your guests don’t have to experience this. There isn’t any reading material, not even the Sunday morning paper, which is such a basic amenity at the rate they are charging.
We did enjoy the Adirondack chairs on the lawn with our coffee. The exterior building and landscaping looked nice and maintained. The wrap around porch is very nice also.

Room Tip: 2nd floor front of inn like #34 NOT 3rd fl #38
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Manager at Ocean Rose Inn, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know your comments regarding your stay while at the Ocean Rose Inn. We take all comments / suggestions very seriously and will certainly check into the issues you have raised. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Doug
New Jersey
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Our rooms was in the Annex building and faced directly to the Ocean. What a view! The weather was perfect, the restaurant was excellent in food and service. The hotel rooms was very clean and had all the basics of what is needed in a room. Beside we spent little time in the room and just walked along the sea wall and ate!. Staff was friendly and overall will be bacj=k again. Thank you

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
, Manager at Ocean Rose Inn, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Thank you for letting us know you had a wonderful time while staying at the Ocean Rose Inn. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Doug
Chatham, NJ
Reviewed November 7, 2011

The Ocean Rose is in a beautiful spot with great views. We have stayed here twice. Our room was very nice and spacious. The whole place has a warm, cozy atmosphere. Some suggestions, when you check in, the guy doesn't even say hello, much less "welcome". He just tells you what your balance is. The gal who is there is quite friendly. I think a check out time of 11 would make more sense than 10. I did let them know, the shower was a little mildewy. Overall, I like this place and plan to stay there agin. The restaurant is awesome!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Page1122
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed September 9, 2011

The Ocean Rose Inn has seen better days. It's now looking worn down and a bit sad. The whole place could use a make over and I get the impression that money is an issue with them.
The tub in our room was very old and discolored with a big chip taken out of it. The chairs on the deck as well as the deck itself could use a good scrubbing. The dumpster out back had a lot of garbage strewn about as well. There is also no mini fridge; no microwave and only a single serve coffee machine in the room. No tea is offered. It gives the impression of being very bare bones. The room and bathroom was very clean. The sheets/blankets were also very clean and completely adequate.
I think this place has seen better days and could use a makeover but even some minor improvements would help...such as a real coffee maker with tea/sugar/creamer options or a microwave.

They charged us $123.00 for the room (a bit high for what you are getting but the area is beautiful) and because we were staying 2 days one day was charged upfront. This is really not allowed for any merchant to do (per my credit card company) because they are charging you before providing any goods or services..however, if they remove the charge you may lose your reservation. I found other places in the area that don't charge ahead of time like that and I will be checking them out in the future. Apparently the credit card companies don't enforce their own rules with these merchants. I find this disturbing to say the least!
So, overall the place isn't terrible but are a little over priced for what you are getting. They do have a lovely (and expensive) restaurant on the premises that comes in handy too.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
sknri, Manager at Ocean Rose Inn, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. The hotel has recently updated all the interior of the guestrooms in the Annex building and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Lynn, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 4, 2011

best nite out for my husband and I, everything you need is right there for you. the rose has a mom&pop feel to it. great restaurant ,food,as well as margaritas. fun helpfull staff all around also very important everything was very clean i would recommend the rose to all just make sure you save us room 24

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
whitefield, NH
Reviewed August 27, 2011

This is the third time staying here, I didn’t think I would return after the first time but I gave it another chance, they made vast improvements, the rooms are a lot cleaner, new sheets and nice new white bedspreads and new shower curtains, I was very impressed.
I do have a couple of complaints…there are still no refrigerators in the rooms, no internet service, the TV’s are still the old type instead of newer flat panel. Other than that everything else was great, The housekeeper was really nice and friendly and went out of her way to make sure we were happy. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a great and fairly inexpensive place to stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank salfordguy
sknri, Manager at Ocean Rose Inn, responded to this review, September 2, 2011
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the new look of the Motel Annex rooms. Keep an eye open... those flat panels will be coming hopefully for your next stay. We look forward to having you with us again and enjoying the summer in South County Rhode Island.
Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Narragansett
Aqua Blue Hotel
Holiday Inn South Kingstown
Holiday Inn South Kingstown
#2 of 2 in South Kingstown
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina

Been to Ocean Rose Inn? Share your experiences!