“Old and cold!”

Ranked #8 of 94 Restaurants in Narragansett
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Overlooking the Block Island Sound in the picturesque fishing port of Galilee, George's of Galilee Waterfront Seafood Restaurant has been serving generations of families its award winning signature dishes since 1948. We offer the widest selection of fresh local boat-to-plate seafood, a new sushi menu, lobster specials, as well as fresh hand-cut rib eye steaks. Choose from five different dining rooms on two floors, al fresco dining, and our takeout window, all with spectacular RI waterfront views. Check for live entertainment and special events on our covered deck. Be sure to visit our gift shop and Nana's Ice Cream & Gelato and Nana's Candy Bar.
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Just before the Fourth of July I decided to take a cruise to galilee beach, spend a couple of hours and get some fresh seafood. George's looked ok and was right on the beach so I thought it was a good gamble.
The waiter was nice and promptly got us our ice tea as requested. First problem was I had to ask for ice for my iced tea. Annoying. We decided to split some clam cakes and "fresh mussels" in garlic and white wine. Clam cakes came first and looked very good but were on the crunchy side! Shells is my guess. The mussels looked orange and plastic and actually tasted cold and old! I sent them back and the waiter promised that they weren't reheated mussels from the previous night. Well the second batch were just as bad and we gave up. The manager tried to offer us a complimentary dessert but I had lost faith and courage. The manager naturally took the mussels off the bill but we still got stuck with a lousy $21 lunch tab.
We walked across the street and got a large ice cream to take the pain away. It worked but I have now closed the book on George's of Galilee!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I grew up in Narragansett and George's, to me, was always where the tourists went. I remember eating there and thinking it's just another 'Gansett seafood place. Not anymore. Having recently returned to RI after a 12-year stint in DC, I've been frequenting George's more and more. They've recently (in the last couple of years) finished a beautiful renovation of the downstairs dining room that somehow manages to upgrade the atmosphere without losing the old nostalgic feel of the place.

What's really different for me is the food. I've eaten in restaurants all over the world in my travels for work and pleasure and consider myself a discerning diner. I ordered the seared scallops one night recently and was, to be honest, shocked at how amazing they were. They were miles above the scallops I'd had the week before at a very well renowned restaurant just down the road.

The wine list seems to be well thought out and the rest of the menu (what I've tried so far) has been equally creative and good. Kudos to George's for kicking the menu up a notch while not losing the old seafood standards people have always loved George's for.

Besides the food, there are quite often fun bands playing on the upstairs deck where you can look at the beach and the ferries and fishing boats coming and going while you dance or sip a cocktail. I had great time doing just that last Friday night!

So glad to see this Narragansett institution keeping it up!

2  Thank Neenchen
Reviewed July 8, 2013

It's was 4th of July weekend and a few friends and I went down to George's on Friday night for drinks and dinner. The wait was over an hour so we waited and eventually got seats at the bar. We ordered drinks off the menu and were told they couldn't accommodate our order...but not even 20 minutes later, I saw several of the same drinks go by to another table.
The bartender hardly ever paid attention to us, when we asked to order food he said one minute and never came back. We ended up writing down our order ourselves and getting it to him. He turned it over to the kitchen without ringing it up and had to come back to us and ask what we wanted again. The food, all apps to pass around among us, took forever and came out just one or two dishes at a time. Plus they forgot items we were waiting for, screwed up our 3rd round of drinks and had to reorder our final dishes. The entire experience was ridiculous and clearly they need better staff for the busier season and holiday weekends. Even the hostess was a little rude and unaccommodating, she took our name off the list without asking us when she saw us at the bar, but she never confirmed that we didn't actually still want a table...which could have been possible b/c we were just eating apps, not meals. Will reconsider heading back there again in the future...

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The wait was pretty long (1.5 hours) and they don't take reservations but it's right on the beach and there was a lot going on. The staff was friendly and patient. The food was a bit disappointing (clam cakes were not hot, stuffed quahogs had a lot of filling) but you can't beat the atmosphere and the view!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

No truer statement here. As you can watch the day boats returning with the evenings meals... Seating both inside and out and the service was just right. Teh only place the kids wanted to go back to.