“The waiter needs a tuneup...”

Spain of Narragansett
Ranked #5 of 91 Restaurants in Narragansett
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Spain Restaurant is a full service Spanish gourmet restaurant located on scenic Ocean Road in Narragansett, RI. Spain is privately owned and family operated for last 30 years. Local South County favorite, Spain Restaurant offers fresh delicious meals with Mediterranean flair. Renowned offerings include traditional Spanish Paella, fresh seafood specials, cooked-to-order meats and hand crafted sangria. Spain is guided by commitment to excellence, fine food, locally sourced ingredients and first rate service. Recently renovated dining room offers intimate fine dining experience in a relaxed atmosphere. Seasonal courtyard offers first rate alfresco dining experience during summer and the elegant bar and private function room accomates many special festivities such as wedding rehearsals and reception, birthday celebration, anniversary, corporate outing or some other special events. Reservation is available online on our website. Gift Certificates are available to purchase online at anytime and in any denomination. Over the phone and in person purchases are available only during normal business hours.
Wrentham, Massachusetts
“The waiter needs a tuneup...”
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Spain in Narragansett has been a family favorite of ours for years. Our son attended URI and we often would travel from MA top meet him there for a family dinner. The service and the food have always been nothing but top notch with both their dinner and lunch offerings.

Last week my wife and I went to Spain for dinner. We were told to sit anywhere and we selected our seats. Shortly after our waiter appeared and dropped off two menus and asked if we would like to order a drink. There was no wine list so I asked for the wine list and he eventually returned with it after chatting with a few tables.

He came back to take our drink order, my wife ordered a mix drink and I order a bottle of chardonnay that was their recommendation. He eventually returned with my wife’s drink and I notice he was carrying a cute little bottle of wine, maybe something that Barbie would place on her head table when she and Ken get married.

He dropped the small bottle at an unoccupied table and came over and asked if I wanted a full bottle, I said yes, I thought that is what I ordered.

So he eventually appears with the bottle of wine, he presents it , I sample it, all is good, he pours and then puts the bottle on the table and leaves to chat with other tables. I noticed another waiter in the area and I looked at him and he came over, these guys are usually really good and that is all that is needed.

He came over and asked if I would like an ice bucket for my wine, something the first waiter should have brought over immediately. He tended to the wine very neatly. The waiter came back and told us of the specials. I opted for my standard veal dish and my wife opted for one of the specials. I told him that I did not want any vegetables just the veal and rice.

This often ticks me off is that the waiters do not write things down because “they will remember it” and they do not. Eventually he returns and tells us that the special is not available, strange because this was at 5 PM on a weekday off season.

So my wife makes another selection and we wait. Another waiter delivers our food; the one that took care of our wine and checked in to make sure everything was in order. Of course I get the vegetables that I asked not to get. Overall the food was ok, and the service was ok. The service from the second waiter was top flight. I eventually got the bill from the original and I could not even read the slip and was not really sure if the charges were right.

The need to make sure their waiters execute consistently as most of them do. I do not mind paying extra for the service component providing they deliver what they are charging you for.
We will give them another chance because I feel it is not fair to boycott a restaurant and punish the owner and other staff members because one person decides mediocrity is the order of the day. But if I do get this guy again I will let him know what he needs to do throughout the dinner process to conduct himself as a top flight waiter.

• Visited May 2012
3 Thank D. E. R

Washington, Pennsylvania
“My Favorite Restaurant”
Reviewed April 24, 2012

First let me dispense with the bad things:

It is not close to where I live, I must drive 30-40 min to get there. I always get lost on the way because I try to remember my way by landmarks and my memory always fails me. The outside of the restaurant is not impressive and too close to the road. There is no view or close proximity to the water or a downtown or any other urban area. The interior decor is kind of quirky, think late 90's Soprano chic. Okay thats it, those are the worst parts of the restaurant.

Here are the good things:

The food is incredible. The sauce that comes with the stuffed artichoke hearts must have crack in it because the explosion of flavor is unlike anything I have ever had before. I have ordered two servings of the stuffed artichoke hearts just for myself. I lick the plate clean like I am the only person in the restaurant. I would be sad to die without having had the stuffed artichoke hearts again. Have I told you about the stuffed artichoke hearts before? The stuffed mushrooms are also incredible. The grilled pork is muy delicioso, and ........

When you order the paella with half a grilled lobster, and your entry arrives, you feel like a Prince. The spectacle that lays before you exceeds any display of perfection you have ever seen prior. All the eyes in the restaurant turn to you in admiration and envy. It comes in this wrought iron pan that must have been dug up in an archaelogical expedition. The paella with grilled lobster is the pinacle of your existence you will never achieve such grandeur again (until the next time you decide to eat there).

The drinks are delicious. A great selection of rum, wines, congnacs, everything you would expect from the best restaurant in the world. There is a waterfall inside the restaurant.

When I go I never let anyone order the same dish, and then we play dinner roulette sharing our respective entres, I have never tried something I didnt like.

Take your wife there, take a date there, take your mom there, take your todler there and let them scream their head off, take yourself there by yourself. It doesn't matter, the place is so good no matter what your circumstances are you will leave with a smile.

Also, the service is beyond excellent.

All in all you may spend about $40- $60.00 a person depending on what you drink and I think that it is a deal. Money well spent.

• Visited July 2011
2 Thank Rhody R
Exeter, Rhode Island
“Not to be missed”
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We have been here many times, basically because there is no other restaurant in this area that compares to the best quality of food or service The Spain has to offer. Excellent

Visited March 2012
2 Thank Jim R
Foster, Rhode Island
“Delicious food great service”
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Along with Spain Cranston this is one the best restaurants in the Ocean State.You can always be assured of having an excellant dining experience.The entrees come with ample and deliciously prepared vegetables.The wine list is extensive. Wait staff and hosts are very attentive. All this at reasonable prices You cant go wrong dining at either one of these restaurants.

• Visited March 2012
2 Thank RobertD821
Narragansett, Rhode Island, United States
“best in narragansett”
Reviewed March 30, 2012

what can i say i been here more then a hundred times and never had a bad meal , price are very fair and the staff is wonderful ,the bartender are the best make you fell special all the time . you must come here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

''