“Still a great restaurant...friendly, freshest fish, and now a crisp makeover”

Jimmy's Portside Restaurant
Ranked #42 of 91 Restaurants in Narragansett
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Description: On the main street of Galilee right across from the dock of the Block Island Ferry.
Suffern, New York
“Still a great restaurant...friendly, freshest fish, and now a crisp makeover”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I just read the last review and it sounded like we ate at two different restaurants! Dad (age 92) and I went Saturday night after the 4th (July 6th) and it was fabulous. We both ordered the fisherman's platter. Knowing how large it is, we purposely did not order chowder which is delicious. New tables and chairs, fresh paint and new photographs on the wall brightened the dining room and the TV was off. The doors were open so we experienced a nice breeze and with the shades wide open we could watch the arrivals and departures of the Block Island ferries.

The shrimp, whole belly clams, scallops and flounder were fried to perfection. The scallops were small and juicy; the shrimp were large and plump and the flounder moist and flaky. Whole belly clams are my favorites and Portside is the #1 place serving large perfectly deep fried sweet clams fresh off the boat. Lobster salad came with a light coating of mayo with lots of lobster. Another excellent meal from Portside where I have been dining with total satisfaction since they opened when I was a child.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank amhoney

Saratoga Springs, New York
“No stars. Couldn't submit without giving 1 star.”
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from an 'experience' from this place. We went here due to Trip Advisor reviews and Jim's Dock (where we had planned on eating) had a 2 hour wait. Just went to Mariner Grill, Monihan's Clam Shack and Matunuck Oyster Farm on this vacation and had wonderful meals...but wanted to try something new. It's Friday on 4th of July weekend and we sat right down for dinner. That should have raised our red flag...but we've been so happy following Trip Advisor reviews so we went with it...despite the NASCAR race playing loudly on theTV and the bright fluorescent lighting and drawn shades. Even the drunk guy who kept stumbling in with his pants around his thighs didn't scare us away. Whiskey sour was all sour mix, followed by lobster bisque that was thick like pink chowder and tasted like flour. Steamers were good, as we're our kids meals of chicken parmesan. Mozzarella sticks were good and stuffed clams were decent. My husband ordered the stuffed
shrimp with "lump crab meat" and was served shrimp stuffed with grease soaked breading. There was no crab to be found. He apologized and said that he had to turn it back, as it was all breading with no crab. Our poor waitress returned to our table stating that the kitchen said there was nothing wrong with it and we'd have to pay for it...would we like it wrapped? My husband (who travels for a living and eats out often) once again stated that he didn't eat it and it was unsatisfactory... and he would like it removed from the bill. The next person that came to our table was a young man sent out by the owner to tell us they would split the cost with us. Once again my husband stated that there was no 'lump crab,' it was unsatisfactory, and he didn't eat it... and to please remove it from our bill. The young man stated that there was crab in it...and disagreed with the menu description of lump crab. He went to get a menu to prove us wrong only to see it did say 'lump crab!' We asked to speak to a manager and they owner came out and said again that there was nothing wrong with the food and there was crab in it, but it was all mixed up. Once again we stated it said lump crab, there was no crab to be found, it wasn't eaten and this is getting BIZARRE, and we will not be paying for it. The nasty woman
said that she'd take it off our bill and told us to never come back. (No problem!!!) This was like a trip to the twilight zone. We eat out often. We put ourselves through college and graduate school by waiting tables. Our kids were witness to this craziness. Our daughter thought she saw our waitress in tears and suspected that is why she did not return to our table. When we went to the bar to wait for our check we asked the other young man if this has happened here before and he said today was only his 4th day. (Now we see the red flags!) This
was just craziness!! Run. Do not walk. Run from this sub-par establishment. Our meal (minus shrimp) for a family of four was $110...plus tip. That could have been a fantastic meal in a nice restaurant. To say this was a disappointment doesn't come close.

• Visited July 2013
9 Thank Sammmmmmmy
rhode island
“good food”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

been going to Port Side for years - always a favorite in Galilea - they have recently remodeled so it looks fantastic. Good frozen drinks, food and service.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank vsolo
Meriden, Connecticut
“Great Find!”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

This is one place you have to try. My husband had the clam chowder & fried two piece platter and I had the fried shrimp. What I liked best is the batter was not thick on the shrimp and the shrimp was very meaty. The chowder was average but the platter was very good and the portions were big. The waitress we had was very nice and helpful and always with a smile. The restaurant itself was very clean and nicely decorated. This is one restaurant we would recommend.

• Visited June 2013
North Kingstown, Rhode Island
“You must try this place...”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We ended up at Jimmie's because I wanted to try somewhere I hadn't eaten before, and boy am I glad we did!! I had one of the best bowls of Lobster Bisque ever and the Lobster Roll was to die for. Wine was only $5 a glass and the place was bright and cheery inside. The dress code is casual or dress/casual (Shorts and golf shirts). We did not order any of the non seafood entrees, but I am sure they would be great too. I can't wait to go back. Our bill was like $77 for three and we all had lobster (in some way, shape or form) and two of us had wine.... This is a place you could bring a family to as well as dinner for just a couple. It's right across the street to the Block Island Ferry so the view was nice and of course, where is better for color than Galilee? They have a take out window as well. The outdoor seating is picnic tables and I am not sure if there is waitress service outside or not as we at inside.

• Visited May 2013