“I guess it hasnt changed in 2 years”
Review of Atlantic House

Atlantic House
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Narragansett
Reviewed February 13, 2008

On a last minute trip, we were looking for just one night and Atlantic House was the only one with availability. We should have driven 2 hours back home. Our room with King bed had a lovely end table crammed into the space which was actually a large dorm fridge with a lamp on it. We could barely walk around the end of the bed because we would hit the wall. The carpets were unclean, as was the common areas. As others have previously stated, we paid premium dollar as they were the only open place in town. It was totally unappealing, dirty, old, cramped and not worth it. I understand the same owners have the large hotel at the pier and I havent seen good reviews about them either.
Too bad, there are so few accomodations to choose from at the beaches unless you have alot of
$$ to rent a house. So sad to see so few moderately priced /quality choices in this category.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NashuaNH
grl2trvl, manager at Atlantic House, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2008

I am a little confused...you stated that you stayed in 2006. We have done some renovating and upgrading since then. Our two room Penthouses with private balconies are worth thier weight in gold. It is a great beach property and well worth the stay. The vies are spectacular especially on the second floor deck. I do hope you give us another try and see all the hard work we have put into it.

There are newer reviews for Atlantic House

Reviewed July 10, 2007

If you love "that 70's show" you'll love this hotel!! It was the PRICEYEST dump I've ever stayed at. At least if it was really cheap we wouldn't have minded so much.We only stayed one night(thank god) 07/09/2007.We had the most expensive room they offer, "suite 302" $343.52 for 1 night and that is with the AAA discount! I've seen better furniture at the SALVATION ARMY. This room was on the third floor, NO elevator or air conditioning in the stairwell or hallway. We had trouble getting the door opened because the lock had been jimmied so many times it was all chewed up.The matress was so old it had a sunken dip in the middle. The sheets had a big rust? stain and black marks on the pillow case.The shower did have good water pressure and ample hot water.
The bath towels were so small we had trouble distinguishing them from the hand towels. Most of the outlets did NOT work, so the lamps were unusable. Some of the handles were missing off the dresser drawers and some drawer fronts were missing all together on the bathroom vanity. The toilets didnt flush. The couch and chair has slipcovers draped over them.I guess it would be a great place for a frat party if it wasn't so expensive!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hipunkin
Reviewed April 21, 2007

A friend and I stayed at this awful place in August 2006. It turned out to be the worst lodging experience of a four-week road trip. We had called ahead and upon arrival my friend went to the front desk to check in while I parked the car. There were two rooms available (a room with a king size bed on the first floor and a room with two beds on the second floor), but because there was a considerable price difference and I was not present, my friend asked the clerk if she would wait for me to come in so that I could be involved in choosing between the two.

In the less than five minutes that I had parked the car and arrived at the front desk, two separate prospective guest parties had entered and inquired about vacancies. My friend, who had stepped to the side to give them some elbow room at the desk, realized too late that the clerk had gone ahead and given the second-floor room (with two beds) to one of them. When I heard about this, I told the clerk that she had to rescind the room's booking immediately because not only had we been first in line for either room, but if she was not going to wait for me to reach the front desk she should have told my friend -- because if she had done so, my friend would have chosen the second floor room without my input. But the clerk acted like she was suddenly flustered and overwhelmed and told us that if we didn't take the room with the king size bed it would go to the second set of guests that had arrived after us. Talk about adding insult to injury! It was getting late in the day and we were exhausted. So we reluctantly accepted the room sight-unseen.

What a dump it was!

This "king size" room was a space that had been built to occupy a single or double bed. It was so small and cramped that there was surface space for only one piece of luggage. The second travel bag would have had to stay on the narrow room chair or on the floor. The furniture was shabby and the window not only faced the parking area, but everyone who passed-by could look inside and see everything (which meant that we would have had to keep the curtains closed all the time for privacy). Feeling ripped-off, we returned to the front desk and asked for a refund. But the clerk informed us that there was a "no refund policy" -- even if only 10 minutes had passed since the credit card had been charged and all we had done was open the room door, looked at it and walked out.

For the next half hour we forced the clerk to search for a solution. The first offer was a room on the other side of the property that she said was reserved for the next day. It was the same rate we had already paid and faced the garden. We said fine, we'll take it for one night. To get to it we walked around the back and passed not only the property's over-flowing dumpster, but a collection of fixtures and other junk piles on the ground (and this scene was around the corner from the room). We were about to get our luggage when the room telephone rang and the clerk said that she'd made a mistake and the room was not available. The next solution was a suite on the second floor that was unoccupied for that night but booked for the next day. Again, we said we'd take it. But as she was about to give us the keys, she informed us that the room was a higher rate and we would have to pay the difference. This led to another exchange of words, but her attitude was 'take it or lose your money'.

For the sake of not ruining what was left of the day (and it was getting too late to find another place with vacancies), we paid the difference. However, once we settled into the room we insisted on speaking to the owner or manager of the property (who, we were told, was at another location at that time). About an hour later he arrived at the front desk and my friend informed him about the series of events we had gone through. He turned to the clerk and told her to give him the receipt for the difference we had paid, tore it up, and said there would be no extra charge for the room.

The room faced the ocean and this was its only saving grace. The "balcony" was no more than a tiny, outdoor alcove. My bed squeaked and its worn cover had a tear in it. The carpet was in desperate need of replacement. The linen felt worn and the pillows were cheap and flat. The furniture was old, unattractive and uneven in style. And when the guests next door turned on their bathroom fan, it made a loud noise similar to the rattling of a car engine in need of a major valve job. The second floor deck was a stretch of space containing unattractive patio furniture that gave the impression of having been procured from several garage sales.

The exterior and interior of this motel is in dire need of a renovation -- from its walls to its towels -- followed by mandatory hospitality training for its front desk staff. The Atlantic House charged 3-star hotel rates, but offered the customer service and amenities of a side-of-the-road flop house.

(By the way, this lodging was listed with AAA, but would not provide the AAA discount.)

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with friends
5  Thank LightedFool
Reviewed November 12, 2006

My family stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in August. The hotel is across the street from the ocean, not from the beach. You have to walk to the beach for 2 minles. The hotel advertized deceptively that they are across from the beach. The place is a a dump. Unsafe, Kitchen was falling appart, unsanitary, doors were falling off hinges, dog hair on kitchen table, bathrooms dirty, stairwells unsafe, no dornubs. Better off in a tent in the back yard. At least you do not pay $400 per night. Deception was reported to AAA. And curiously, the AAA people, knwe about it. Do not subitt yourself or your family to this place. It will ruin your vacation.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank angelaverede
Reviewed November 1, 2006

Location, location, location only goes so far. Not as far, sadly, as the Atlantic House which has the three "L's" and nothing else. The decor is ghastly -- blue walls against dark turquoise rugs and drapes. The closet doors not only didn't slide, they weren't even on the track. The carpet was so filthy, I had to wash my feet before jumping into the bed. Furniture was of the "yard sale" variety.

There doesn't seem a lot of choice in Narragansett, but you'd be better off to stay elsewhere and drive to town if you need to! With the prices they charge. At $155/night (off season) for a partial view, this was way worse than disappointing.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled solo
3  Thank Rooz
Reviewed October 2, 2006

We just returned from a three night stay at the Atlantic House in which we were attending a wedding in Narragansett. I have to say that this might be one of the worst hotels we have ever stayed at.

The room was incredibly dusty and filthy. I actually experienced a headache the entire time I was in the room. The furniture appeared to have been picked out from someone's trash. The couch was covered ( I guess in an attempt to make the couch look better, which didn't really happen). The desk was completely lopsided as if it were ready to fall over and there was a little table in the room that was completely disgusting. The chair in the room had cigarette burns in it and the carpet had iron burns on it.

Everything in our room appeared to be unfinished. There was some spackling done, but never painted or sanded. The bathroom faucet fell apart in my hand.

The only positive things I have to say about our stay was that the hotel room had a beautiful view and there was a decent sized refrigerator in the room.

Here's the kicker: They want you to pay for your entire stay up front even before you have seen the room.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank ej99
Reviewed May 15, 2006

I stayed due to bad weather. Everyone was nice to me. My room was clean. It is lower priced than most hotels in Narragansett and has the best ocean views, with exception of Newport, in the area. I found management very willing to go extra mile to make my stay enjoyable. I was thinking how I wished more of the positive people would take time to write and realized I have not done that myself. Now I have.

• Stayed: October 2005
4  Thank Pauline C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Narragansett
Aqua Blue Hotel
#2 of 2 in South Kingstown
Pleasant View Inn
Pleasant View Inn
#2 of 6 in Misquamicut

Been to Atlantic House? Share your experiences!