We stayed in the 3rd floor apartment (302 - center). Take their warning of "no elevator" to heart. Access to the 3rd floor apartments is in the back and very steep; not suitable for young children or those with health issues. The hallway access is dirty and reminded me of very poor college housing. The layout of the apartment was good - large open room just like you see in the photos but the photos have to be more than several years old (and nothing has changed in the apartment since they were taken). The view from the private deck can't be beat BUT you had to be careful as many of the floor boards were loose or weak. When I reported that fact to the desk the response was "really?" (felt like "what do you want me to do about it"). The outside furniture was extremely old and dirty - one chair completely broken but still left there. The kitchen was questionable at best - missing cupboard door; broken trash compactor. There were not enough dishes and silverware for 4 people and what was there was a mixture - not that we would use any of it. Frig worked but needed cleaning inside. The rooms were clean. TVs worked. Beds OK. Linens and towels were very clean and the soaps/shampoos in bathrooms were very nice/up scale which made us laugh given the surroundings. Bathrooms looked like they might have new floors but everything else in baths was old; not fancy but clean and everything worked/water pressure and temp good. King bed was a bit lumpy. Second bedroom was barely big enough for 2 beds and not much more. Actually had a (locked) door out into the hallway that had 1 inch opening at bottom. Would not put young children in this room. The two fans provided in that room were needed -- no A/C and poor air circulation. There was A/C in main room and master bedroom.
We moved out after one night -- A/C in master bedroom leaked all over the floor and rug was soaked. We were sure it had to be dripping into the room below. Maintenance did come and the guy at the front desk was nice about things. Offered us another smaller room but we decided to leave. They did refund our money. Apparently A/C has been an ongoing issue as there was no surprise when I reported it. Our concern was mold due to the mild musty smell in the apartment. Overall we were very disappointed. We had hoped given some of the positive reviews early in 2011 as well as the conversation I had with someone there months before when renovations were going on that this spot would be OK but we were far happier in the local Hampton Inn on Rt 9. Not as much space and no great views but for $125/night is was clean and safe.
I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone unless the owner guts the inside and starts over. The view is just not worth it. We wished we had spent more money and rented a house or Family Room at the Village Inn down the street. (And the person who said the coffee and muffins in the morning were nice -- there is a card table in the entrance way with 2 Mr Coffee machines. No muffins in sight).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come and relax at The Atlantic House, one of the earliest established hotels at Narragansett Pier(Originally built during the winter of 1866-67) We are located on the famous and scenic Ocean Road, with panoramic views of Narragansett Bay. Enjoy the 2nd floor deck. Relax in one of our full ocean view guest rooms with a separate sitting parlor and step out on your private balcony, breathe the fresh ocean air, and take in the spectacular view. For your convenience, all rooms have individual climate control, microwave ovens, small refrigerators, hair dryers, coffee makers, iron and ironing boards and color television with cable reception. All rooms are equipped with electronic entry lock security systems. Please be aware that because of the age of this historical hotel, there is no elevator. The Atlantic House is central to countless recreational and cultural activities such as golf, tennis, boating, museums, historical landmarks and ferries to Block Island and Martha's Vineyard. Narragansett Beach, Shops of the village and restaurants all a short walk from our front door. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Agoda and TripOnline SA so you can book your Atlantic House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Atlantic House Hotel Narragansett
- Atlantic Hotel Narragansett