New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Narragansett
Boston
“Needs more renovations”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

We stayed in the 3rd floor apartment (302 - center). Take their warning of "no elevator" to heart. Access to the 3rd floor apartments is in the back and very steep; not suitable for young children or those with health issues. The hallway access is dirty and reminded me of very poor college housing. The layout of the apartment was good - large open room just like you see in the photos but the photos have to be more than several years old (and nothing has changed in the apartment since they were taken). The view from the private deck can't be beat BUT you had to be careful as many of the floor boards were loose or weak. When I reported that fact to the desk the response was "really?" (felt like "what do you want me to do about it"). The outside furniture was extremely old and dirty - one chair completely broken but still left there. The kitchen was questionable at best - missing cupboard door; broken trash compactor. There were not enough dishes and silverware for 4 people and what was there was a mixture - not that we would use any of it. Frig worked but needed cleaning inside. The rooms were clean. TVs worked. Beds OK. Linens and towels were very clean and the soaps/shampoos in bathrooms were very nice/up scale which made us laugh given the surroundings. Bathrooms looked like they might have new floors but everything else in baths was old; not fancy but clean and everything worked/water pressure and temp good. King bed was a bit lumpy. Second bedroom was barely big enough for 2 beds and not much more. Actually had a (locked) door out into the hallway that had 1 inch opening at bottom. Would not put young children in this room. The two fans provided in that room were needed -- no A/C and poor air circulation. There was A/C in main room and master bedroom.

We moved out after one night -- A/C in master bedroom leaked all over the floor and rug was soaked. We were sure it had to be dripping into the room below. Maintenance did come and the guy at the front desk was nice about things. Offered us another smaller room but we decided to leave. They did refund our money. Apparently A/C has been an ongoing issue as there was no surprise when I reported it. Our concern was mold due to the mild musty smell in the apartment. Overall we were very disappointed. We had hoped given some of the positive reviews early in 2011 as well as the conversation I had with someone there months before when renovations were going on that this spot would be OK but we were far happier in the local Hampton Inn on Rt 9. Not as much space and no great views but for $125/night is was clean and safe.

I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone unless the owner guts the inside and starts over. The view is just not worth it. We wished we had spent more money and rented a house or Family Room at the Village Inn down the street. (And the person who said the coffee and muffins in the morning were nice -- there is a card table in the entrance way with 2 Mr Coffee machines. No muffins in sight).

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank OnceAYearTraveler042

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Charleston, Sc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

This historic hotel is well kept but not fancy; it had everything I needed for a comfortable stay. Even better, it is along the beach road, great view, great walks. Staff was always friendly and helpful. My second stay, and not my last!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank antnikko
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

We stayed here because it was convenient to a wedding reception we were attending at the Village Inn about 5 minutes away. We paid over $160.00 (1 night) so was expecting much more. They also charged our credit card on the day we made the reservation, which was 2 mos. before our arrival! That should've been a red flag right there.

Even though the beach is right across the street, the view from our room was of a side of the building. This hotel is old, floors are wobbly, and the bathroom reeked of urine. It smelled so bad, it drifted into the bedroom so we had to close the bathroom door. The king size bed was way too big for the room. We had 1 foot of space between the bed and the bureau where the TV sat to get to the front door. The carpeting and furniture were all ratty and beat up, maybe they were purchased from the goodwill.

Fortunately, we only stayed one night and couldn't wait to get out of there. We should've read the Tripadvisor comments before picking this hotel, but it was one of the hotels the wedding party recommended so we didn't even think to look up Tripadvisor. Lesson learned!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Norlando96

Travelers are raving about these Narragansett hotels

Ridgefield, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

I'll start with the positive. This hotel has a great view.

Now for the negative. We stayed in an oceanview king room. The room wasn't what I would call clean. I think we were in room that had updated bedding, but it was very pilly and hair stuck to the duvet and shams. It was gross to see other people's hair on our bed. The carpet was probably vacuumed in the middle of the room, but you could see dust and debris around the edges where it obviously would have taken some small amount of effort to clean. But the worst part was the mold. There was a big water stain on the ceiling with black mold growing around the outside. In the closet, the entire ceiling was covered with mold. I wanted to use the extra pillow that was in the closet, but didn't because I was concerned about my health!

The floor underneath the water stain was very saggy. I thought we might fall through! I would hate to see what is underneath the carpet - probably more mold.

All in all, I couldn't sleep because I couldn't stop thinking about how gross the conditions were. Thank god we were only there for 1 night. I thought I heard mice in the ceiling. The room keys make an extremely loud beep when they are unlocking a door, so whenever anyone let themselves into their room we would be woken up.

I can't recommend this hotel to anyone for any reason, with any budget. Mold will make you sick!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cbb0718
Red Hook, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

I'm going to make this brief, though I could go on for hours. It is gross...acceptable conditions for collegfe students only. In our three night stay, we noticed: MICE! In our garbage...woke me up at 230 in the morning....a rusty nail my 1 year old found on the floor and promptly put in her mouth....what appeared to be the housekeeper's hair all over the bathroom...duvet covers that looked "less than fresh", lamps that either didn't work, or were falling down, renovations that looked like they were done by a novice. If I wanted to be picky, I would also complain about the cheap deck furniture, the closet door and the deck screen door that fell off the first time we used them, and the really bad paint job all over. I really wish i had found this site before booking our mini vacation, and not after. Reading everyone else's reviews made me lol, because they pretty much tell the story. It is a pretty view, but no, you don't walk right out to the beach, and the pool and restaurant are a distance from the AH. Reader BEWARE!!

Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank erica024
New York City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

I am from New York City and normally stay in 4-5 star hotels. I have stayed at the Newport Harbor and Marina which cost over 600 dollars a night when I went and was way above par but the cost isn’t worth a quick weekend getaway. My extended family lives in the area and believe me when I say this; this motel is way above any of the other hotels, inn and motels I have stayed in around Narragansett for the price!

The hotel and location in general:
After reading several reviews on the Atlantic House I decided to book it, I was worried it wasn’t like the hotels I was used to but would be like any beach town such as Jersey Shore, Key West, Cape Cod area or Long Beach Island. I was correct on my synopsis. When my boyfriend and I arrived we weren't taken back at all. The place had been recently painted on the outside with all new shrubbery. The lawn had just been cut and the hotel was in much better shape than we were expecting. Going to other hotels in the area and places like the Jersey Shore before this place wasn’t bad at all!!!!!!! The location is also perfect if you get a room that looks out the front, you have a beautiful view of the ocean. A short 10 minute walk you are at the local beach, which cost 5 dollars to get in. If you go early you can get a great spot but this is one of the only public beaches in this area so it does get crowed fast. The lobster box restaurant is also one of my family’s favorites and the food is pretty good (I have never had anything that I didn’t like). At night this restaurant has a bar upstairs for college age kids that are looking to have fun, beware if you are older this may not be the place for you to grab a drink. The downstairs bar is for an older crowd and has a man playing the piano from 6 to 12pm.
In general this is the town’s main beach area and is very busy during the summer months and this hotel is in a great location!

Checking in:
The front desk is managed by high school age girls. We were three hours too early to check in. When I gave them my reservation paper; they told me the cleaning staff has just entered the rooms and that they would get us into the next available room quickly. They did just that. We took a walk down to the beach and came back about a half an hour later and the room was ready.

The Room and Bathroom:
The room we stayed in was supposed to be a double queen but these beds were defiantly full size. Not a problem for us. We could tell the room had just been freshly painted and all sheets and furniture were fairly new. The bathroom was one of the cleanest I have seen for a motel!!!!! The room smells a little damp but that is how all beach town hotel and motels are. R.I. is very humid in the summer and without the proper dehumidifying systems that almost none of the hotels in this area have, is unavoidable! I am not sure where many of these people have stayed in the past but this is what you get in a town like this! The hallways are a little older and do need refinishing but the girl at the front desk told us this was next to be completed. The room also had its own fridge which was nice to put bottle water in and a sitting area with a couch. We had a small little porch which was also nice to sit on and people watch. The hotel is a little further back from the road but you can still get a great view of the people walking by and the water. The AC in the room also worked fine and kept the room cold all night.

Overall for a quick vacation getaway to see my family this hotel has rated on the top of other hotels I have stayed in for the price. Summer month are very expensive in R.I. for any hotel. If you are going for a weekend this is a great place to stay but if you plan to be here for a week; rent a house. Houses in the area are relatively cheap and can range from 650 - 1200 for the week but you must book in advance. Also if you have 4 or 5 people it is well worth spending the extra money and getting a house!

PLEASE REMEMEBER WHEN STAYING IN ANY BEACH TOWN THE MOTELS ARE NOT 5 STAR ESTABLISHMENTS; THEY ARE ALL OVER PRICED BUT IT’S THE SUMMER IN A BEACH TOWN. THE BEACH IS PROBABLY THE REASON YOU ARE GOING ON A TRIP NOT TO BE STUCK IN A HOTEL ALL DAY AND NIGHT!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank emcarder
Earth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2009

Room was large & clean with separate sitting area. Yes, it was a bit dated and there is no elevator. For the price, though, it was a great value & we'll return. I'm glad I saw all the other reviews AFTER I booked the reservation. It's a great winter getaway.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Narragansett
Aqua Blue Hotel
Hyatt Regency Newport
Hyatt Regency Newport
#11 of 21 in Newport
4.0 of 5 stars 1,379 reviews

Been to Atlantic House? Share your experiences!