“Terrific if you are a beach-lover - don't go if you need Plaza-style amenities”
Review of Pleasant View Inn

Pleasant View Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Misquamicut
East Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My mom and I have been going to the PVI every year after Labor Day for several years, and we LOVE it! Let me say straight off that if you are looking for a chain hotel experience, or lots of amenities, this is not the place for you. The rates are admittedly high, but you are paying for an incredible location and view. Also important to note is that the place is unfortunately completely inaccessible to those in wheel chairs or those challenged with mobility issues - lots of stairs and no elevator - but the inn was recently sold and I am hoping that barrier will be addressed.

Ask for an ocean-side room on the higher (2nd or 3rd) floors, which will give you a better view and a private balcony - best to ask for an ocean-side room on the end of one of the buildings, so you're not sandwiched in between other guests (balconies are very close together and afford little privacy). Would also ask for a room that doesn't overlook the hotel's spread of beach chairs above the ocean, unless you're really into people-watching and don't mind being observed. Definitely get a room with a fridge in it - dining options in town are few in the off-season, but we love going to the local grocery store and picking up dinner stuff to snack on while sitting on the balcony and watching the water. The hotel restaurant is also very good (and great service), if a little overpriced.

I've read other reviews of the PVI that describe it as dumpy, a motel, etc. It has never been that in my experience. The hallways are a little dark but the rooms are clean and bright and basic and totally meet our needs. You won't get shampoo and conditioner, but you will get an astounding view, incredibly pleasant staff, and a space to totally unwind. There are many of us "regulars" who go back year after year, and it is the kind of a place where some regulars really bond and spend days together, while others seek total privacy and get it (that's more our style).

My mom and I will go back to the PVI every year, for sure. I'll be interested to see what happens in the coming years with the new ownership. But if you want a place to relax, sleep well, swim, walk, eat well, etc., we think it's wonderful. Bring your own beach chairs so you can head down to the sand instead of fighting for hotel chairs up on the bluff over the beach. We love it here!

Room Tip: We prefer ocean-front rooms on the 2nd or 3rd floors so we can get a private balcony. Be advised bal...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank GSTravel11
Pleasantview I, General Manager at Pleasant View Inn, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay here and most importantly, found the staff to be “pleasant” and accommodating! They always try to ensure that our guests feel at home here. I will certainly be sharing your comments with the team! As you mentioned in your review, the property was sold to Linchris Hotel Corporation in July. Much to your liking, we will be remodeling the guest rooms as well as the corridors. I am so glad to hear that you will be coming back for future stays and look forward to seeing the improvements! I invite you to visit and “like” our Pleasant View Inn Facebook page to receive updates from us as we will be posting them throughout the off-season. Again, thank you for your comments and I look forward to seeing you in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed there last year with no problem although rooms are tiny and rates are high. This year our air conditioning died along with the toilet, and there were ants in our room. The bathroom had broken and missing tiles and the shower was very small with bad lighting. We left a day early, and when we got our bill, they had added a $50 bar bill. When questioned, they "realized" they read the room number on the bar receipt incorrectly.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Francine S
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I do apologize about your stay, it must have been very inconvenient to have A/C unit and toilet issues. I hope that during your stay you were able to alert the front desk of these problems so that we could provide assistance in resolving them. I will address all of your comments with the team, we strive to make our guests stay enjoyable, and I am upset to see that your satisfaction was not met. Your feedback is very important to us as we will be remodeling both the guest rooms as well as the corridors over the next few seasons. I invite you to visit our Pleasant View Inn facebook page where we will be posting all of the improvements. I hope that you will consider us for future stays and again, I really do thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
Worcester
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Pleasant View Inn is an older property in an awesome location. When we visited we had, between us, a walking disability and a broken ankle on crutches. We had called to ask about accessibility and the person on the phone recommended a first floor room -- which by the way was more expensive. When we arrived, we found limited handicapped parking: the main entrance (check-in and restaurant) is in the first building and has only 1 space (and stairs). There are 2 additional spaces at the furthest end of the 3rd building (and more stairs) where our room was located. Most of the handicapped spaces are across the street. We had to navigate 1 1/2 flights of stairs up from the parking lot, to our room, 1/2 a flight down to the main hall to get to the restaurant, which was quite a hike over 3 buildings. On the other hand, our balcony looked right out over the beach and ocean. Our room was plain but comfortable, nice TV, no phone, no room service, and the bathroom could use a makeover. The restaurant menu was more inspired than the chef but the bar offered a nice selection of wine. The staff were all extremely caring and pleasant. And if your looking for beach, they have it just steps away!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Pleasantview I, General Manager at Pleasant View Inn, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay. As you may know, the Pleasant View Inn was recently sold in July to Linchris Hotel Corporation. I understand your concerns about handicap accessibility. I can assure you that this has been addressed, we have been evaluating all areas of the property for redecoration. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your room and the location! I invite you to keep a look out at our Facebook page as we will be updating everyone with all of the remodeling and improvements happening over the next few seasons. Again, thank you for your feedback and I hope that you will be staying with us in the near future!
Cheshire, Connecticut
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great to be right on the beach. Having a restaurant right in the hotel is a bonus. My husband and I were able to sit in the Lounge and have a drink while our kids out on the patio. This is our 4th time at the Pleasant View, would defiantly recommend .
The only negatives were; the pull out couch was all wired together someone tried to fix it, not well and the bathroom look like it may have had some water damage that was repaired.
Even with the negatives I would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Poolside mini suite was perfect for a family of 4
1 Thank Carol S
I am glad that you shared your experience with us, it is great to hear that you and your family enjoyed the location and the restaurant! I am sorry that you had trouble with the pullout couch, I will be sure to share this with our team. Over the next few seasons we will be remodeling both the rooms and corridors, so your feedback is very important to us. We will be sharing the improvements on Facebook, you can visit our page for updates. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience!
Port Jefferson Station, New York
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great getaway weekend. Made reservations at the last minute and still got a great room. Pool view with small balcony. Staff was more than helpful. Location is perfect. I know I will be going back again and again. I did hear it was recently acquired by a large hotel group, just hope it doesn't change the charm and warmth it now has. Food in pub and dining room was very good and extremely reasonable. We had lunch and dinner, choose to have breakfast just down the road. Also added perk, a very nice gift shop attached to hotel. For me having the beach and a heated pool....just doesn't get much better.

Room Tip: The pool view is very nice, ocean view is beautiful but may at times be just too breezy.
2 Thank bhowardpjs
Thank you for sharing your experience here at the Pleasant View Inn. I am happy to hear that you had a great weekend and are planning on returning again! The property was recently sold in July to Linchris Hotel Corporation. I invite you to visit the Linchris website to learn more about the company. Your feedback is very important to us so I am glad to keep your mind at ease by telling you that we certainly do not plan on changing the charm and warmth of the hotel. Over the course of several seasons our plan is to remodel the rooms and corridors, please visit our Facebook page so that you can be updated on the improvements! Again, thank you for sharing and I look forward to your next visit!
Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I would have given PVI a 5 star rating if the smoking had not been an issue. Large Ashtrays filled with cigarette butts beside the Lounge Chair area and the outside dining area clearly imply that the staff does NOT discourage smoking in these public areas. Thus a non smoker is forced to go to the beach or eat inside. Although the rooms are dated, they are quite clean. The food is great and the staff pleasant. However, an upscale hotel does not allow smoking in public areas,even if they are outside. I would like to bring my cousins and children to this hotel, but cannot because of all the second hand smoke. The view is to die for, but unfortunately cannot be enjoyed by a non smoker from the lounge chairs or the outside dining area.

Room Tip: Do not pick an oceanfront room unless you get an upper level room as the smoke drifts upwards from t...
5 Thank therese s
Pleasantview I, General Manager at Pleasant View Inn, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. The Pleasant View Inn was just recently sold in July to Linchris Hotel Corporation. We understand that smoking is an issue so your feedback is very helpful to ensure that we make all of our guests stay more enjoyable. Over the course of the next few seasons we will be remodeling the guest rooms and corridors, I invite you to take a look at our Facebook page as we will be posting the improvements to keep everyone updated! It is refreshing to know that aside from the smokers, you enjoyed your stay. I hope that you will still keep us in mind for future stays!
Boston, MA
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We loved the the Pleasant View Inn so much on our visit last month,as well as their restaurant, we just booked again.

Our room was a "Superior-Ocean View", 2nd floor. Large, clean and directly on the beach with a perfect view of the ocean. Having a separate balcony to just sit and relax was awesome.

Everyone from the front desk to the parking attendant to housekeeping were very nice and helpful. We got their early and were able to park our car in the lot and hang out at the beach until check-in time.

The restaurant on site, "The Kitchen at the PVI" was exceptional. We ate breakfast, lunch and dinner at the restaurant and every meal was delicious and most of all - fresh! Great staff again!

Looking forward to our next trip this weekend and can't recommend enough!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mojotokin
Pleasantview I, General Manager at Pleasant View Inn, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am very happy to hear that you had an enjoyable time with us, so much so that you booked another night! I’m glad that you also had delicious meals at our restaurant. It is nice to know that the staff went out of their way to accommodate you and make your stay memorable. I will be sure to share your feedback with the team and we hope to see you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Misquamicut
Sandy Shore Motel
La Quinta Inn & Suites Stonington
Aqua Blue Hotel
Aqua Blue Hotel
#3 of 8 in Narragansett

Been to Pleasant View Inn? Share your experiences!