“Improvement needed”

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Beverly D

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed June 18, 2014

Pro's - good price and the only place in the area without a 2 night minimum. Close to ABC and easy parking. Staff was friendly. Comfortable bed.

Con's - Room was outdated. Our door would not close from the outside. When we called the front desk for help the girl was in a panic as she was currently searching for someone to fix something else. She said she would come up. We waited about 10 minutes and no one came. We found a way to close the door (one of us stayed in the room, closed the door and the person on the outside put the key card in. When the door unlocked we had to hold the handle in that position in order to close it). As for the shuttle, we paid $8 each which was supposed to be for unlimited rides for the day. We took the shuttle to downtown Newport. The driver told us that on Saturday night the shuttle ran until a little after 1 am (the time the bars closed). We were waiting for him at 1 am, maybe it was 1:02 but that was still a little after 1 am. We called, no answer. Ended up having to take a taxi home. What a waste of money and rude of him to tell us a little after 1 am and then never show or answer our call. Even if to tell us he was done working for the night. Lastly, I called the front desk around 2 am (a little late but what can I say, I was hungry) to ask for a can opener. She told me she didn't have one, and I asked if there was one in the kitchen and she said no, and hung up on me. Terrible service by both the night shift clerk and the shuttle driver, Gene. There was also no elevator and we had to haul all of our stuff up three flights of stairs, through a very confusing hallway system. They should at least offer to help if they don't have an elevator. I was exhausted after lugging my fairly heavy suitcase up and a cooler because they have no refrigerator in the room.

Overall, I suppose I'd stay here again ONLY if I needed a place to stay for 1 night. It was my first time to Newport and I was really excited for this trip. I guess I just expect more out of a well known company. The problem with our door was the worst though. We were basically trapped in our room because we couldn't leave with the door open and they didn't seem to care. Unacceptable!

Reviewed June 16, 2014

The hotel is old and needs to be updated. They should close the kitchen door because it is not
a view you wish to see if you are going to eat in their restaurant. I cannot believe that the sheets in our room had not been changed from the previous customer. We were appalled and sickened when we saw the wrinkled sheets and a hair on the bed. They had no cleaning person on staff and they had a man from maintenance come to the room and change the sheets. At that point we would have left but we were with another couple and did not want to disturb them. The continental breakfast was poor at best. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, they need to clean up their act.

Room Tip: Cannot give you a good tip about this hotel
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Front desk staff was friendly and helpful. Hotel was conveniently located and quiet. The room was very large and clean. I liked that I didn't need a 2 night minimum stay, which is common for the area. The downsides: no automatic opening front door and I struggled to enter with my luggage; the lobby could use updating; and the outdoor smoking area was near the entrance. But, I would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Overpriced and poor quality hotel. From arrival I did not like this hotel. The reception staff were very rude and unhelpful - I was not made aware that either a bar or restaurant were available in the hotel. The lobby was poorly lit.

The room I stayed in was very dated and no flat screen / HD TV as described on the website. WiFi was very weak in room. All furnishings were worn. However the cleaning staff kept the room very clean.

The breakfast buffer was in a meeting room and included a reasonable variety of food - however virtually everything came in sealed plastic (i.e. nothing fresh).

Room Tip: Would recommend staying on the eastern side of middletown - some hotels look a similar quality but a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AidanOC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Quality Inn & Suites Middletown - Newport
Travelodge Middletown Newport Area
Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center
Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport/Middletown
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina

Been to Ramada Middletown Newport Area? Share your experiences!