“Scary!!!”

Ramada Middletown Newport Area
Ranked #18 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Reviewed July 8, 2013

First off no one has any clue how to answer a telephone. I had to take a number of work related phone calls before I left and would need to check in late. NO ONE would answer the phone. I ended up calling corporate to get through to the hotel. Once we arrived I was given a card key to door that didn't have one. I want back down to the front desk and the employee insisted there was a card reader I just didn't see it. REALLY I know what a card reader looks like. After insisting there was card reader I forced the employee to walk up and show it to me. Of coarse there wasn't one. The employee ran down to the front desk and came back with an actual key. It looked like it open the master lock on the shed in my back yard. Apparently the door had been replaced and he was unaware of this. Well I guess they decided a 10 dollar lock from Job Lot was acceptable, when the door was locked it was also locked from the inside NOT TO FIRE CODE!

The next day we had a wedding to attend. I drove my wife to get her hair done for the event and when we returned house keeping had left the door to our room unlocked and wide open. Anyone could of walked in and taken our belongings. I picked up the phone and dialed the front desk, of coarse no one picked up. I know there were 3 women at the front desk because we had just walked by it. I walked down and asked if anyone knew what a phone was. They all looked at me and spewed some excuse about the phones not working. This would have been a helpful fact when I checked in. I would never stay here again or recommend this hotel to anyone.

There are newer reviews for Ramada Middletown Newport Area

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 8, 2013

cheapest hotel in the area. you get what you pay for. ants on the wall, hard floors, all need updating. hallways were humid and smelled. nevertheless, the staff was friendly, but all facilities/amenities were certainly not "3 star" as advertised. A solid 2-star.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We had arrived in Newport for a friends wedding at 4:45 and our room was not ready.(check in is at 3:00) We had reserved our room over a month ago and the bride had also blocked a group of rooms for guests not staying at the Newport Marriott. The others in the lobby were equally unhappy.. For all different reasons. Although they were apologizing, the staff was also complaining to each
other and them being visibly frazzled did not make us comfortable that they had the situation under control. I told them they were not going to charge us full price for the room. When my husband went to sign, no charges were deducted until I had asked again. It seemed both inconvenient for them, as well as unheard of that I request a bit off of the bill. Twenty five dollars was taken off. The room was outdated, but not the worst. We had 2 beds, not the queen we had booked. Upon checkout, there were a few twenty-something's hanging out behind the front desk and not one even cracked a smile. Very miserable looking! I have never written a bad review online and never thought that I would! We will never stay there again or recommend to anyone. Extremely unprofessional. I am not a picky person when it comes to hotels, especially when attending a wedding. We were basically looking for a place to get dressed, sleep for a few hours, and check out in the morning. I can't stress enough how they need to have a team meeting about customer service. Smiles, professionalism, being calm and collected would have made the entire situation much less aggravating!!

• Stayed: July 2013
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 2, 2013

It's a pretty Ramada, lobby was nice. The rooms need to be redone. Especially the bathrooms!!!! The tile was cracked and there were ants coming in from the huge cracks in the tile!! Also the tub had lots of dried paint drips all over it. We couldn't get the wifi because we were at the end of the building. Hallway smelled strong of mildew!

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I was in Newport during high season, and this hotel was less than half the cost of anything else I could find. I was expecting the worst, and it was tolerable. Had a remodeled room--no blue shell sink as in the photos on this site. Also had a balcony, although it overlooked a very busy road. It was also much closer to Newport than expected.

Downsides: The carpet seemed to have no padding at all underneath--as if it were laid right over plywood. The toilet perpetually ran, there was mold already around the new shower. The a/c thermostat switch was failing (I complained but they weren't able to fix it).

Upsides: Closer to Newport than I expected. Middle school with nice track within easy walking distance. Comfortable bed.

Didn't eat breakfast there so can't comment. There's a Starbuck's nearby.

I was unwilling to pay $400+ for a Newport hotel so this was a tolerable alternative. The Hampton Inn down the street is new, quite a bit more expensive, and was sold out.

Room Tip: Ask for a remodeled room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Quality Inn & Suites Middletown - Newport
Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center
Travelodge Middletown Newport Area
Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
Newport Ambassador Inn & Suites

Been to Ramada Middletown Newport Area? Share your experiences!